What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sgc1

Registered
Hi have just joined the forum, had my pin Golden Arrow for 3 years ,have been restoring it have just replaced the s relay and got to 95% working but can not get the o relay to work or the game to start .thats where I'm up to so hope to be able to make some contacts for help and to contribute.
Thanks
Sgc1

Hello,

Is 'O' the 'Hold' relay, which energises as part of the start-up cycle? If so, a quick 'repair' technique is to simply wedge the armature plate in the 'closed' position with some card or paper - in normal operation, the Hold relay remains energised in any case, until the machine's turned off or tilted. A bonus from doing this is that it allows the machine to be turned off with a game in progress, and return to the same point when powered up again. No electronic game I know of can do that.

Hello,

Is 'O' the 'Hold' relay, which energises as part of the start-up cycle? If so, a quick 'repair' technique is to simply wedge the armature plate in the 'closed' position with some card or paper - in normal operation, the Hold relay remains energised in any case, until the machine's turned off or tilted. A bonus from doing this is that it allows the machine to be turned off with a game in progress, and return to the same point when powered up again. No electronic game I know of can do that.

Thanks for the Hello and the response, the O relay does not energise up I can manually work it but no game starts up everything resets to that point, the hold relay appears to work ok. I'm struggling with this as with this being my first pin I am on a learning curve with this.

Having thought about this a little, I wonder if Gottlieb used the letter O for a relay to operate the outhole solenoid, in conjunction with a switch on the motor. An e/m Gottlieb single player relies on a switch fitted to the track between outhole and ball shooter to 'step' the Ball Count Unit (usually in the backbox). The unit flies back to its Zero position during the reset procedure, then steps to Ball 1 as the ball passes over the track switch - until then the flippers and most other playfield solenoids don't work. So if the ball remains in the outhole the start sequence stalls. Is that where you are (or were)?

It's been a while since I owned a Gottlieb 'wedge-head', but I'd suppose that a ball closing the outhole switch will, once the reset sequence is ready for it, operate the outhole relay, and then the motor will turn to actually kick the outhole solenoid. The ball returning to the outhole then repeats this until the final ball, which by-passes the solenoid operation through some contacts on the 'disc' of the Ball Count Unit.

If you have the schematic diagram, look at the circuit for O relay, and try to relate the pathways and contacts to the actual machine (I appreciate this isn't as easy as it sounds). One circuit can track right through the whole machine. If I'm on the right trail here, this one will be on the playfield (outhole switch), motor panel (relay & Motor) and backbox (Ball Count Unit).

Having thought about this a little, I wonder if Gottlieb used the letter O for a relay to operate the outhole solenoid, in conjunction with a switch on the motor. An e/m Gottlieb single player relies on a switch fitted to the track between outhole and ball shooter to 'step' the Ball Count Unit (usually in the backbox). The unit flies back to its Zero position during the reset procedure, then steps to Ball 1 as the ball passes over the track switch - until then the flippers and most other playfield solenoids don't work. So if the ball remains in the outhole the start sequence stalls. Is that where you are (or were)?

It's been a while since I owned a Gottlieb 'wedge-head', but I'd suppose that a ball closing the outhole switch will, once the reset sequence is ready for it, operate the outhole relay, and then the motor will turn to actually kick the outhole solenoid. The ball returning to the outhole then repeats this until the final ball, which by-passes the solenoid operation through some contacts on the 'disc' of the Ball Count Unit.

If you have the schematic diagram, look at the circuit for O relay, and try to relate the pathways and contacts to the actual machine (I appreciate this isn't as easy as it sounds). One circuit can track right through the whole machine. If I'm on the right trail here, this one will be on the playfield (outhole switch), motor panel (relay & Motor) and backbox (Ball Count Unit).
Will check out thanks I will post back when I have a look at the schematics.

Back
Top Bottom