What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie with a playfield problem

Chas442

Registered
Hello all. I acquired a Bally Popeye Saves The World. All the electronics seem to work. The problem I have is that the playfield cannot be tilted up to examine the underside. It appears the playfield went too for back having the rails behind the pivot pins. What would be the best way to get the playfield repositioned?
I am also waiting on flipper return springs and a set of rubber.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you post some photos of the problem?

Get someone to help you and it should be possible to lift the playfield out of the machine.

Thanks for the reply. I can't get a picture of the area that is a problem I can get the right side up enough but unable to raise the right side. Pictures don't show anything.
While we are at it, what is the best source for pinball patrts? I currently have an order with Marcos.

TIA

Thanks for the reply. I can't get a picture of the area that is a problem I can get the right side up enough but unable to raise the right side. Pictures don't show anything.
While we are at it, what is the best source for pinball patrts? I currently have an order with Marcos.

TIA
That's the left side I can get up.

What normally happens is the moving part of the slider arm gets wedged past where it's supposed to stop:

So where the black arrow is in the picture, the bottom of the moving arm goes past where it's supposed to and jams, tap with a hammer where the red arrow is to get it free (might be a 2 man job but I've done it on my own before), you will then need to remove the whole piece and straighten it out

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: DRD
Hey Nik

Thanks for the info.
You must have some long arms. Just kidding. I was able to get the mechanism to move freely by tapping with a crow bar. Unfortunately that side still will not come up to reposition.
Do I need someone to pickup that side as I am tapping it?

TIA

Hey Nik

Thanks for the info.
You must have some long arms. Just kidding. I was able to get the mechanism to move freely by tapping with a crow bar. Unfortunately that side still will not come up to reposition.
Do I need someone to pickup that side as I am tapping it?

TIA
Easier with help, but as you free the arm, you should be able to pull the playfield towards you and lock it onto the bushing. Make sure the bushing is there as well, if there’s just the thread from the bolt through the cabinet, that should also be ok.

Once it’s locked, you should be able to raise the playfield vertical and then sort out your issues from there

Easier with help, but as you free the arm, you should be able to pull the playfield towards you and lock it onto the bushing. Make sure the bushing is there as well, if there’s just the thread from the bolt through the cabinet, that should also be ok.

Once it’s locked, you should be able to raise the playfield vertical and then sort out your issues from there
I'll give a try when I can get someone over to give me a hand

Thanks

I'll give a try when I can get someone over to give me a hand

Thanks
Finally got someone to help. I was able to release the arm. We were still unable to pick up play field to get it on track. On closer observation I noticed the Bolt head that on the right side that would be the pivot point is slightly cocked.

Finally got someone to help. I was able to release the arm. We were still unable to pick up play field to get it on track. On closer observation I noticed the Bolt head that on the right side that would be the pivot point is slightly cocked.

The thing to do with that, is release the other arm and lower the playfield onto the wooden rails, you can then unscrew the slide arms or unscrew and then knock out the pivot bolts, you can then get the playfield vertical. In the past I have used a ratchet strap gently tightened around the playfield and backbox to hold the playfield upright so I could do the necessary repairs and have it working properly

Back
Top Bottom