What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Board Repair

And I've only just realised its controlled lamp string not GI. So ignore my GI comments.

I digress but I once had a GI string out and eventually fixed it - the output line from the ASIC that went to the chip,right PITA,but an ASIC reseat fixed it.Thta#s prob a rare snag tho,but it is easy to reseat an asic,pinmania sells the pullers.

No schematics in front of me here but I would imagine,thats possible

Yes. Also for a loss of a single lamp string. Reseat data cable between boards, and the ASIC . Don't necessarily have to remove it if you don't have the tool, just press it home all the way round.

look on pinwiki guides for repair advice.
loads of opinions on how to replace a tranny(cue Dan...)
I tend to cut off fooked item,leaving in hte legs,then desolder them,and use a sucker or wick to clean out the thru hole
He He He He you said thru hole.

Just re-read the original post seeing as we're all making mistakes and realised that the transistor is a 107 which means it's a column that is out and not a row (which is what the 7474 controls so you can ignore what I said about testing that).

Looking at the Road Show manual on IPDB - the lamp matrix is on page 3-4 (112 of 148 in the pdf)

In that list you're looking at row 7 for Q92 on J137 or J138 (the connector can be on either). It is worth swapping the connector plug on to the other one as a quick check to see if that solves the problem (if it does the it's a cracked solder joint).

Then it's time to grab the meter - I'd start with checking continunity from the top side of the PCB J137/J138 pin 7 and follow the path on the underside of the PCB to Q92. If there is no continunity then the problem is there.

Using the flash all lamps test, then measure the output on pin 13 of IC U19 to see if that's firing when it's suppose to - if it is then its the transistor or the path to the transistor or the 18v supply to it. If it's not firing then it's the chip U19 or the path to chip U19.

Good luck! :)

Just re-read the original post seeing as we're all making mistakes and realised that the transistor is a 107 which means it's a column that is out and not a row (which is what the 7474 controls so you can ignore what I said about testing that).

Looking at the Road Show manual on IPDB - the lamp matrix is on page 3-4 (112 of 148 in the pdf)

In that list you're looking at row 7 for Q92 on J137 or J138 (the connector can be on either). It is worth swapping the connector plug on to the other one as a quick check to see if that solves the problem (if it does the it's a cracked solder joint).

Then it's time to grab the meter - I'd start with checking continunity from the top side of the PCB J137/J138 pin 7 and follow the path on the underside of the PCB to Q92. If there is no continunity then the problem is there.

Using the flash all lamps test, then measure the output on pin 13 of IC U19 to see if that's firing when it's suppose to - if it is then its the transistor or the path to the transistor or the 18v supply to it. If it's not firing then it's the chip U19 or the path to chip U19.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for this Peter - I have tried swapping J137 to J138 and the fault remains. I will buy a multi-meter and then proceed as you suggest above.

Back
Top Bottom