What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Weebly MPU won't boot with lamp driver plugged in in my Xenon

CliveP

Registered
This is the 2nd Weebly MPU I have had in my Xenon. but I had to sell it so i ordered another one. i moved the game into the garage and when the new MPU arrived it wouldn't get past 4 th flash. I unplugged J1 and it booted ok. I then unplugged the lamp board and plugged each lamp plug in one at a time. The MPU booted until Lamp J4 plugged in. I swapped out the board with another and same issue.
Do I need to take out the connectors in the J4 plug and put them in 1 at a time to see which one is the issue? Any help greatly accepted.

After thinking about it I realized putting the lamp driver plugs in 1 by 1 would identify which lamp plug has the issue. And so it turns out to be the J1 plug so I will check out each lamp associated with that plug.

Does unplugging the auxiliary lamp driver board have any effect on whether the MPU boots?

yeah, have you contacted the weekly guys?

Neil.
Yes, They test the boards for 24hours before sending out, This is what Andrew says. "Sounds like something external is shorting a signal at MPU J1 which makes the PIA power on self test fail. Like make sure nothing behind the lamp board is touching header pin solder joints and stuff like that."

If it boots without the lamp driver board plugged in all together - you have a problem with the lamp board or one of the lamps or sockets.

If it does not boot without the above PCB plugged in - you have a problem with the MPU.

I stick with the Altek boards, used them for a long time and only ever had one issue.

Was yours sent from the states? or a UK/european supplier?

If it boots without the lamp driver board plugged in all together - you have a problem with the lamp board or one of the lamps or sockets.

If it does not boot without the above PCB plugged in - you have a problem with the MPU.

I stick with the Altek boards, used them for a long time and only ever had one issue.

Was yours sent from the states? or a UK/european supplier?
It was sent from the US. I have determined the issue if from the J1 plug of the lamp board so I have to check all the lamp sockets attached to that plug. Thanks

Maybe a shorted out lamp I would hope. Or of course in a game this age - lamp holder.
How would I determine if it was lamp holder? I have had a look at all the J1 lamps and the holders/ wires look fine? Do I remove the lamps, 1 at a time and test booting? Thanks for your help.

I pulled out 1 pin at a time out of J1 and rebooted and did all the pins but still no go. It did boot with pin 7 out but upon switch off and on and it reverted back and wouldn't boot.

have you carefully inspected j1 on mpu board and j4 on the lamp driver board. those are more likely suspects.

have you got a spare lamp driver board you can try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have you carefully inspected j1 on mpu board and j4 on the lamp driver board. those are more likely suspects.

have you got a spare lamp driver board you can try?

I will check both more carefully and this is the 2nd lamp driver board I have tried.

possibly a short in the wiring from the mpu j1 to j4 lamp driver? maybe. dunno just seems the obvious place

Ok - I will try that
Sorry meant J4 on the Lamp board. But before you do that can you temporary remove pin 26 on that connector that goes into J1 on the mpu board?

Back
Top Bottom