What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New raspberry Pi 4 :)

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Massive updates for the beloved rPi which is a great controller for pinball hardware nowadays.

A big leap just happened here to which helps me and pygame dev. Open GL support now included!!

This means hardware video graphics support, which for the 'relatively simple' emulation of dmd screens should help alot, especially with video mode stuff. This was the last parts on rPi 3 which was at the limit on a software graphics system.

Looking forward to trying on of these out, once they land.

Now in 3 memory flavours to 1gb, 2gb, 4gb

1gb version stil only £27 to.

Jim - last time I was taking a look at pyprocgame / MPF and talking to the guys on pindev it sounded as though there wasn't a good, cheap-ish (ie in terms of production line) machine to run it all on, is that now not the case with this release?

Yup was looking at that just this morning! Like the 4GB version and rolls in at £50, which is nice for anything memory-intensive.

also liking that there's now the option for 2x 4k outputs!

With it having dual video out, could this be used for a virtual pin?

I've been thinking about replacing the hard drive in mine with an SSD to speed things up a bit anyway.

Jim - last time I was taking a look at pyprocgame / MPF and talking to the guys on pindev it sounded as though there wasn't a good, cheap-ish (ie in terms of production line) machine to run it all on, is that now not the case with this release?

config is key and optimisation of code, as with most things. I can run my indy game rewrite fine on rpi3. Maybe it just tips over on the video intensive graphics mods like the video mode games, but is pretty solid otherwise. I know ccc runs on rip 3 ok to.

There was a general consensus that pi's weren't up to the task, but this was before the 3b+ came out, so with the 4 out now we are well passed that. Thats my view anyway.

I've been thinking about replacing the hard drive in mine with an SSD to speed things up a bit anyway.

Don’t hesitate! Best upgrade!

Got 2x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD’s sitting unused on my desk if you’re interested. Very lightly used. No boxes, but working - just need erasing. Both for £50?

With it having dual video out, could this be used for a virtual pin?

If you're running VPX then no, it would need way more CPU and GPU power than you'll get off a little RPi (Cool device though it is)
SSD in a VPin is a good idea though, especially as 120GB Crucial SSDs are now under £20 on Amazon :)

I'm wondering if N64 emulation on a Pi might now be possible though.....

Don’t hesitate! Best upgrade!

Got 2x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD’s sitting unused on my desk if you’re interested. Very lightly used. No boxes, but working - just need erasing. Both for £50?

Ahhh I've got a spare 60GB lying around. Thanks for the offer though.

Back
Top Bottom