What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New project collected today!

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Just picked up this DW today, very much a project and probably will not make a start on it for some time! we will see, currently still in the back of my car. Not a theme I have followed but like the idea of it as a pintable.

Things noted on collection

Dalek topper missing (have a plan for that I think!)
cabinet front and left faded (plan for new decals)
Wrong legs fitted (should be chrome)
Time expander sits too high (possible opto issue?
Game hard resets seems to be when flippers activated but very early after game start?
DMD seems to have 2 lines faintly stuck on? see pic (not sure on that?)

Good points

It powers up fine (apart from reset)
not many dings in the cab
playfield looks to be good
boards are clean no hacks
DMD is bright from power on

Not seen under the playfield yet as had no key for door! All in all I'm happy with the purchase and it was local which is a bonus.

Cheers Ronnie

Attachments

• pin1.jpg
    pin1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pin2.jpg
    pin2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
  • pin6.jpg
    pin6.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 34
  • pin5.jpg
    pin5.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 35
  • pin10.jpg
    pin10.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 37
  • pin12.jpg
    pin12.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 35
Time expander sits too high (possible opto issue?

It's been a long time since I had one, but I think the Time Expander positioning is mechanical from what I remember - just a cam turning [EDIT: just looked up a picture of it, first thing I see, an Opto :cuckoo: - oh well]. Quick tip: if a ball ever get's stuck in one of the holes while the Time Expander is coming down, turn off the game straight away. - otherwise it'll cause damage in the little gearbox that move the mini playfield up and down. It happened to mine and I could repair it, but best to avoid it happening.

Hope you enjoy it - it's not the most popular game out there, but I really liked it - DW was my first pin :thumbs:.

It's been a long time since I had one, but I think the Time Expander positioning is mechanical from what I remember - just a cam turning [EDIT: just looked up a picture of it, first thing I see, an Opto :cuckoo: - oh well]. Quick tip: if a ball ever get's stuck in one of the holes while the Time Expander is coming down, turn off the game straight away. - otherwise it'll cause damage in the little gearbox that move the mini playfield up and down. It happened to mine and I could repair it, but best to avoid it happening.

Hope you enjoy it - it's not the most popular game out there, but I really liked it - DW was my first pin :thumbs:.

Thanks for the post, yes the expander seems to go level then come up a bit? time will tell but that was just a quick check before I paid for it, thanks for the tip on ball sticking will watch out for that!

I have had a fair few pins over the years from TAF to Maverick (best to worst) well I must admit one of my favorites was Whitewater but I like most things pinball, but must admit DW looks to be a good game to me, again time will tell!

Cheers Ronnie

There's a wiring loom under the expander that sometimes snags and stops the expander going down fully, a bit like you have there...

This is the donor Dalek for the topper! I intend to transplant his upper body to the top on the pin, it's a 33cm tall remote control toy, not sure yet how or even if it will connect with the game!

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 11
There must be some stuff to connect it to so it interacts with the game. Have you seen the prototype wobble head?

Yes seen that JT once I tear down the Dalek will have a better idea how it works but I think the head on the one I bought turns slightly with the direction which you steer it with the remote

Sorry for the geek! it's not me lol

Reactions: JT.
Just picked up this DW today, very much a project and probably will not make a start on it for some time! we will see, currently still in the back of my car. Not a theme I have followed but like the idea of it as a pintable.

Things noted on collection

Wrong legs fitted (should be chrome)

Not seen under the playfield yet as had no key for door! All in all I'm happy with the purchase and it was local which is a bonus.

Cheers Ronnie

Hi, Ronnie,

AFAIR, although it's a 'Williams' Bally, Dr. Who followed the Bally convention of using black legs. As did Party Zone, Creature from Black Lagoon, Corvette, Popeye, etc,

Hi, Ronnie,

AFAIR, although it's a 'Williams' Bally, Dr. Who followed the Bally convention of using black legs. As did Party Zone, Creature from Black Lagoon, Corvette, Popeye, etc,

Thanks for this, so black legs could be correct? sure I seen some with chrome

Ronnie

Hope your gearbox is not mashed on the expander as mine was and not cheap to replace

Hope your gearbox is not mashed on the expander as mine was and not cheap to replace

It's going up and down just not stopping level with the playfield so I'm hoping it's ok but early days yet, it's still sitting folded up since picking it up

Hi, Ronnie,

Party Zone should have black legs? Mine came with chrome, bit rusty so thought about getting them power coated yellow but think it could be to much. Black sounds good.

I will be getting the coin door powder coated so might as well get the legs done too, was going to buy new chrome one's as I thought they were correct, I wonder if another colour might look good maybe blue or yellow?

Ronnie

Maybe colour match to one of the colours on the new decals when they arrive? Blue, yellow or at a push, even red would be cool (my thinking being that there is a fair bit of red on unfaded decals)

Maybe colour match to one of the colours on the new decals when they arrive? Blue, yellow or at a push, even red would be cool (my thinking being that there is a fair bit of red on unfaded decals)

Yes was thinking that but not sure? maybe just the legs and keep door black, will have a think don't want to spoil it!

Ronnie

Party Zone should have black legs? Mine came with chrome, bit rusty so thought about getting them power coated yellow but think it could be to much. Black sounds good.

It was shipped with black ones, but if a machine's been in one of those odd locations where the legs aren't used, or the original legs have got damaged, the first spare leg (or set of) handy tends to be bolted on when needed. My old employer had a place where the legs weren't used; when the game was changed, the legs from the incoming game were put on. This resulted in a Cyclone with the later 'full-rib' legs, introduced with (I think) Police Force.

But at this remove, the colour and type of legs and other fittings is a matter of personal preference. If I'd owned a Star Trek Next Gen, I'd have looked into getting the gun grip chrome plated, or with Red & Ted I'd have changed the blue legs.

Ronnie, forgot to say earlier but I'd go for the red legs, will stand out more in the darkness of the cave. All joking apart Moose's looks with the red legs.

Ronnie, forgot to say earlier but I'd go for the red legs, will stand out more in the darkness of the cave. All joking apart Moose's looks with the red legs.

Red sounds fine but I would worry about the bull charging at the pin! I was thinking maybe yellow would stand out well? might need to try some kind of photo editing to compare

I was thinking about yellow for Party Zone but it could end up being too much so will probably end up going for the traditional black.

I was thinking about yellow for Party Zone but it could end up being too much so will probably end up going for the traditional black.

Lol I'll probably end up doing that too! very much depends what the coaters has in stock really

Back
Top Bottom