What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pin in the house!

Cryptkeeper

Registered
Alias
RingSting
Picked up a roadshow yesterday! Bought it off an op, he took it off site 4 years ago because it had a broken slingshot rubber!
Couldn't look it over in his shed but it turned on and played (to a degree) so I took it away!
IMAG1923.jpg
Cabinet wasn't bad, legs are a bit rough and the legbolts internal nuts are half not there so 1 bolt in each leg!

Got it home and got the translite off to find what looks to be a factory fitted remote battery board? Never seen this before.
All pcbs look clean and hack free so that's a good sign.

First job was to get the test switches going. All the buttons were broken so stuck in some arcade button microswitches as a temp job.

Got all the flippers going. Looks like the local plumber had soldered them at some stage and used a tub of flux!
IMAG1924.jpg

Got all the switches registering. The main bulldozer sensor wasn't set right so good luck to anyone that tried to play it in the arcade!
The upper right dirverter linkage was also bodged and not working so I rebodged and now it's working. Could someone take a pic of how it's supposed to look?here it is, how I got it!
IMAG1927.jpg

Got it playing anyway and my main problems now are.

-both red and Ted eyelids don't work
-reds eyes don't move
-reds mouth has a broken gear
-no flashers at all
-GI out
-20 years of filth
-shaker not working

Any advice on the flashers?
I think the rest should be straight forward.

Very enjoyable game. But that multiball music is ****e!
Could be a job for pinsound.

Last edited:
The later wpc games (like shadow and possibly yours) had a high voltage safety switch that killed the power to the flashers when you opened the coin door. So when you run the flasher test it appears that they are all dead. To run the flasher test, you need to manually close this switch with your hand. You can tell whether your game had this feature as there will be two plunger switches operated by the coin door as opposed to just one

In contrast, earlier wpc games like addams family did not have this. They only had one plunger switch operated by the coin door.

Flasher fuse ?

Ah yes, the old interlock. I did know that but I'll check it again. Tbh I didn't look into the flashers. By the time I got it flipping some friends came over and we played it and got drunk.
Hopefully it's a fuse.
I've gotta get a manual printed

You have a wpc security board and the battery holder was sat above the main PCB

I got a two for one fix.
F11 was gone. Put a new 5a in and the flashers starting working and the shaker!
More of that please

Finally got the chance to get inside Red and Teds heads.
Both coils to close the eyes are fried :(
Also the coil stops for the open eyes coils are broken but I'll be able to cobble them back together.
but apart from that all the parts are there.
Got reds eyes moving left to right again so that's something.

I was getting voltage to the coils in test mode so they should be good,
Gotta take the driver board out to change another transistor so I'll check them anyway.
The plungers were totally stiff in both and the paper on the coils were all flakey/crumbly so obviously something has been toasted

Thanks Gaz,
But everything looks good bar the coils and the two stops.
The stops are listed at 20e each so that won't be happening.
I'll knock up something in the work shop

LOL, if I want to get depressed I listen to Pink Floyd or turn my Twilight Zone on and listen to the music while I play, no need to listen to C&W too :D

I changed out a few transistors today and got reds mouth working.
How loud are the coils in the head supposed to be?
When the eyes move left or right there's a loud click and a loud humming noise.
Reds eyes seem to make more noise.
I

Yes mate that's fine, you just don't hear it when the glass is on and Carlyene Carter blasting out ;)

Ha ha,
Yea I thought it was normal.
Maybe it'll quieten down after I strip and clean it all.
Hoping the postman shows up with the goods tomorrow morning.

Well made some progress last night.
I had ordered 2 SM 31-900 coils as per the manual.
When I got red out I thought I had made a mistake and gotten the wrong coils.
The ones that were in it were physically smaller and had blue wrappers!
2015-03-24 21.19.01.jpg

Anyway I fitted the new coil and a quick clean and red was back in action!
2015-03-24 21.17.36.jpg

Then onto Ted,
A total bastard to get out!
Got him out and again the same small blue coil.
This time I could read the wrapper and it said SM 31-900-DC on it.
Looking at some other pics the coil should be the larger red one.

After getting ted back together the open eyes coil is working........its working too well tho.
Stuck on all the time,so that should be a stuck transistor if im lucky!

After getting ted back together the open eyes coil is working........its working too well tho.
Stuck on all the time,so that should be a stuck transistor if im lucky!

A fried transistor may have killed your new coil (locking it on)... you best check the new coil ! :eek:

Red and Ted are now working!
Transistor did the trick,
talk about breathing new life into the pin!

Hopefully I'll get the time this weekend to tear down the upper playfield and scrub it,
New speakers and a pinsound board on route too.
First job is to add some more tunes to the multiball!
Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom