What's new

New Johnny Mnemonic ramps

Rus121

Site Supporter
20140627_140930.jpg Got a set of these ramps off ebay, but they come with not a single riveted piece of hardware. Does anyone know where to get a ramp flap kit with rivets in the UK?

I was going to get those but seeing as twisted pins are going to repro them, I figured I would wait. Can't you get flaps from Pinbits?

Unfortunately, they don't do one for JM although I have asked them to.

Twisted pins are listing the ramps I have:
http://www.twistedpins.com/products/parts/ramps/

Did you mean they are going to offer them fully populated with flaps?

I don't mind faffing about with the rivets as I did it on my old CV, but the decals on the underside of the left ramp might prove a little difficult to remove.

Mine are ok(ish) with a few little rust spots. I had good results polishing some on my STTNG, and then use a product called 'caseys super blue' to re-blue the steel after polishing. The whole process is a huge ball ache, but if theres nothing available just yet I may as well do it.

I am also waiting for the complete ramps coming up from Twisted pins.
For the ramp flaps try PSPA Marc has hundreds of them for sale for loads of different machines, you might hit lucky.

Well, now I know why these ramps are not available anywhere. The amount of hardware on them is ridiculous (a total of 19 different metal parts, but probably necessary) and yes, all of it is RIVETED TO DEATH. I can only imagine the cost of a full ramp kit with all the hardware, decals and ramp flaps when they are finally available but its not going to be cheap, that's for sure.

20140805_155240.jpg

20140805_175010.jpg

After LOTS of drilling, swearing, ranting and raving and about 40 hours work I got it done. (Pic shows the new new ramps test fitted to my game, with all the hardware installed as well as freshly blued ramp flaps)
20140806_210739.jpg

I think I'd rather hold a red hot branding iron to my balls than drill another effing rivet out. Some of them refused to budge so I had to spend an ETERNITY with a dremel as some of those rivets were in some very tight places and I didn't want to risk damaging the decals. All rivets were replaced with M3 bolts and nyloc nuts and took almost as much time to fit as the rivets did to remove :mad: Another issue was that some of the holes on the new ramps did not line up with the metal hardware I have but as they were only 'just' out I managed to make them slightly bigger to fit my stuff. The decals came off nice and easy and went on my new ramps even easier. most of mine were in good shape with only a few marks here and there. Ramp flaps were re-blued and refit with original style rivets using the tapping hammer technique as I couldn't get the dies lined up in the arbor press accurately enough. In fact, the tapping hammer technique worked very well when holding the cupped die in a vice. I did have to become an octopus for a moment, but it all worked out well.

I hope to never see another JM ramp again. :rofl:

Massive thankyou to BigIan for helping me out when I was about to go nuts with all the parts lying around. :thumbs:

Attachments

• 20140807_141344.jpg
    20140807_141344.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom