What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP GNR Pinball

GnR LE Sound Upgrade

So for under £400 quid you can get your subwoofer + Sound-bar setup no worries.

I dare say you can go much cheaper than this but I'm going Bose for the Sound-Bar + Cambridge for the Sub
The Bose is a nice clean look and is a smaller footprint
I'm not concerned that it doesn't have any bass as I will just be trying to improve the voice and sound up top.
Bass will go below in the sub anyhow.
Also, with splitting the sound I know there may be an overall reduction in top end output.
The Bose unit naturally has a built in amp but I know you can put an inline amp if needed (edited - see below). I wonder if JJP are doing this on the CE?

I'm no audio expert but looks simple enough as the motherboard / sound card has a 3.5mm jack so just need to do the following:

Non Inline Amp using the Splitter
- Unplug the existing head unit speakers from the green 3.5mm port
- Insert your headphone splitter into the green port
- Reconnect your head unit speakers into one of the splitter females
- Connect your Sound bar into the other splitter females

Connect the other end of the splitter using a phono 3.5mm male to male into the Aux In on the Sound Bar

Inline Amp Solution
- Unplug the existing head unit speakers from the green 3.5mm port
- Connect the Inline amp to the green port using an Aux input
- Reconnect your head unit speakers into one of the headphones outputs
- Connect your Sound bar into one of the headphone outputs

There should be no noticeable loss in top end sound using the inline amp

Headphone Splitter Cable Syncwire 3.5mm Aux (£5.99)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-...on-Earphone-One-Male-Two-Female/dp/B07431YDWM

Pinsub-multi-system-kit ($35 +shipping)
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/c...bwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-multi-system-kit

Soundbar £239 --- As far as I know your not interested in sending the bass out the Soundbar so this looks ideal
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7296130
Size of speaker bar H5.61, W59.37, D10.21cm so wont look too bad on top.

Subwoofer £130
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/subwoofers/cambridge-sx120-sub-blk.html

Picture of Motherboard soundcard same as PC - green port is were you add the splitter
SoundCard.jpeg

Edit: To put an inline Amp in order to boost the sound going to the Sound Bar, could go for something like this:
I'm definitely going with the Sub but if the sound is good enough up top omit the Sound Bar - if not try the setup as described including the inline amp.

ammoon 4 Channels Mini Audio Stereo Headphone £23.99

Last edited:
The G&R’s already have 120 Watt sound.. that’s not bad for a pinball..
So the PinWoofer kit is $350.. that’s more than what a nice sound bar and splitter would cost..?

Looks to be a fair bit of wiring on that kit- but says that adding a soundbar would be more than that?

I think the main features of his system:
- Cleaner
- Configurable amp
- No need for external sub
- No chance of grounding loops - buzz/hum
- Guaranteed better fidelity

He reckons the Sound bar JJP offer on the CE is still a work around from the vertical position speakers within the back box giving tinny sound

Last edited:
It the kit says to still use backbox speakers and use a new cabinet speaker..

Do you change the position of the backbox speakers?

Will listen to the sound and see if anything needs to be done - I suspect not as DI is pretty loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It the kit says to still use backbox speakers and use a new cabinet speaker..

Do you change the position of the backbox speakers?
No it looks like they stay as is - taken from the white paper:-
To address the Tinny sound:

In an attempt to address / mitigate the above constraints, we set out to add back in some of the high bass and mid-range to temper the "tinny" character of the platform by making changes to our Expander Board(TM). In large part we feel that we were successful considering the constraints. Feedback has been positive for JJP titles and we are finding that we have something that has improved the backbox field and of course, there is no question the bass emanating from the cabinet sub is dramatically improved with the PinWoofer GT amplifier and speaker upgrade.

I dislike pins with poor sound, to me sound improvement is far more important than ColourDMD.

I have also noticed that since JJP Pirates (so Pirates & Wonka) the sound quality has really gone down big time. Dialed In was pretty decent as was Hobbit.
But for the last two titles the bass has been totally lacking, so I have simply upgraded the bass system with the following;

Sub Amp with crossover;

With the above and the stock subwoofer there is a great improvement as you can extend the bass until the glass rattles (but then dial it back a tad).

In Pirates I also upgraded the woofer, with this (overkill but hey its Pinball);

Now Pirates has amazing sound, clear call-outs, and sound effects with a great bottom end.

I will have to see what the bass is like on GnR CE, but I bet I will be adding the woofer and sub amp.

I dislike pins with poor sound, to me sound improvement is far more important than ColourDMD.

I have also noticed that since JJP Pirates (so Pirates & Wonka) the sound quality has really gone down big time. Dialed In was pretty decent as was Hobbit.
But for the last two titles the bass has been totally lacking, so I have simply upgraded the bass system with the following;

Sub Amp with crossover;
[/URL]

With the above and the stock subwoofer there is a great improvement as you can extend the bass until the glass rattles (but then dial it back a tad).

In Pirates I also upgraded the woofer, with this (overkill but hey its Pinball);

[/URL]

Now Pirates has amazing sound, clear call-outs, and sound effects with a great bottom end.

I will have to see what the bass is like on GnR CE, but I bet I will be adding the woofer and sub amp.
Is that a better option than an external sub in your opinion?
Have an external sub on JP2 and it sounds great. Not sure which way to go with GnR.

Is that a better option than an external sub in your opinion?
Have an external sub on JP2 and it sounds great. Not sure which way to go with GnR.
Tough one to answer.
I have sub and amp upgrades on AC/DC and Metallica also have both connected up to external sub and speakers, when playing with just the internal bits its great you can really feel the bass shake the game, when running with the external stuff with the internal it adds another great 'dimension', as you can still feel the bass from the game and hear it mega loud!
Funny thing is, turn down or off the internal sub while also running the external mega loud kit it feels wrong as the bass is all 'outside' of the machine (i.e. not as tactile), hard to describe one has to experience it.

So in answer to your question, no get both an internal awesome bass sound and an external set-up, were pushed to choose I'd go internal.

^^^^ I can understand the above comment as I use a few pins that share a single sub using Pinnovators Pinsmx. I only have one pin on at once though...
With the Sub being located a bit away from the pins and not central (used for my home theatre) it feels a bit detached from the sound experience.

Tough one to answer.
I have sub and amp upgrades on AC/DC and Metallica also have both connected up to external sub and speakers, when playing with just the internal bits its great you can really feel the bass shake the game, when running with the external stuff with the internal it adds another great 'dimension', as you can still feel the bass from the game and hear it mega loud!
Funny thing is, turn down or off the internal sub while also running the external mega loud kit it feels wrong as the bass is all 'outside' of the machine (i.e. not as tactile), hard to describe one has to experience it.

So in answer to your question, no get both an internal awesome bass sound and an external set-up, were pushed to choose I'd go internal.
Wow!! That's sounds like some sound set-up. My Step Daughter, who is in the bedroom above my pinroom would get blown out of bed 🤣🤣
Definitely food for thought though.
I'm planning on trying the standard sound first and seeing how that sounds, the start playing. The amp you've linked is definitely an option though.
Interesting that you've gone with additional external speakers instead of upgrading the back box speakers

sound quality in a pin doesn’t really matter to me, as long as there is some. mind you. my hearing is not what it used to be. pardon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder what’s going on around the slings for it to go down to the bare wood, 2nd one I’ve seen with massive chip at the slings circa 200 plays :-
9594422E-D549-4111-ACB9-C9F4A0EEEA6B.jpegF9AAB011-7E8C-4FD3-B9E1-F0ABA5EBBA24.jpeg2B95A621-F00A-4C6A-ADEA-4FAF1C097A47.jpegC69C949B-2A9D-42B6-BBE5-4760A6979244.jpeg

Sub Amp with crossover;

Have they changed the hardware then?

I’d have expected the sound to be less good down to the loss of Thiel as much as anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, it’s strange, poor adhesion, hollow doughnut? I have some pooling on my IMDN but it’s totally solid with zero chips and it’s been played 🤷‍♂️ , some of these GnRs are awful.
I was looking at my JP today, September 2019 build, it is one of the ones with the art missing around the posts and there isn't a single sign of pooling so it shows they, or at least Stern, can get this right.

I was looking at my JP today, September 2019 build, it is one of the ones with the art missing around the posts and there isn't a single sign of pooling so it shows they, or at least Stern, can get this right.
I’ve heard the Rick and Morty playfields are fantastic. So.....if Spooky have cracked it, Stern seem to be getting over it then what’s going on with Mirco? End of day responsibility lies with JJP. Still hoping this is a bunch of duds but a guy apparently called JJP to ask when they were getting the new playfields in. The response was, there is no new ones so he was lead to believe the new improved Mirco ones were already being employed.
Not sure how legit this is but he’s mentioned the same story a few times now, he’s a buyer so no reason to make this up.

Same with mine. Stern get it right at least some of the time for sure

Same with mine. Stern get it right at least some of the time for sure
The word on pinside now is that it is an issue with the digital art process that causes this.
both Stern & JJP changed from the far superior Silkscreen process to save money and they both got bit on the ****.

1st fix was stick washers and star posts on but this is a poor McGuyver workaround that frankly doesn’t address the situation.

Sterns 2nd fix was to simply remove the art around the posts so the clear coat can adhere to the bare wood and stop the pooling/chipping.

maybe JJP / Mirco may go this way we will see but guess which PFs are not affected?
Answer CGC, AP & Spooky.
Why? They use Silkscreen process still.

All food for thought but I only hope they find a solution or go back to traditional methods as none of the pre digital printed games never had this problem.

The price we are charged for these high end toys deserve far better IMO

The word on pinside now is that it is an issue with the digital art process that causes this.
both Stern & JJP changed from the far superior Silkscreen process to save money and they both got bit on the ****.

1st fix was stick washers and star posts on but this is a poor McGuyver workaround that frankly doesn’t address the situation.

Sterns 2nd fix was to simply remove the art around the posts so the clear coat can adhere to the bare wood and stop the pooling/chipping.

maybe JJP / Mirco may go this way we will see but guess which PFs are not affected?
Answer CGC, AP & Spooky.
Why? They use Silkscreen process still.

All food for thought but I only hope they find a solution or go back to traditional methods as none of the pre digital printed games never had this problem.

The price we are charged for these high end toys deserve far better IMO

it wasn't just moving the art away from the posts, Stern and Spooky also changed the clear formula. Its much thinner on my JP, NST, Turtles and Avengers compared to IMDN, Deadpool and BK3K

Back
Top Bottom