What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JJP GNR Pinball

Before a game, I put the 2 new posts Phil sent me, in the pops area, you can see the original one below and the one (out of picture) to the right.
As per recommendation I did not put a washer on. I could not see pooling on the original posts.

20210713_162032.jpg

The other post I think I should change is on the upper playfield, not done yet, no pooling but I did put a rubber on it. Plan to change it when I do the cliffys.
Checked a bunch of screws and bolts under the playfield to make sure everything was tight and secure, all good.
Checked backbox connectors were all pressed home and fans were clear of wires sticking in them especially the CPU fan! All good

Then played a couple of games.

Next I updated to 1.22 via the Internet just fine.

Next popped in the Pinwoofer, sounded awful to start with, but with Dan's help got it sorted now its loud and clear as F&CK

Bad points:
The left art blade had for some reason half pealed off and was bubbled so had to carefully take it half off and reapply.
The lockdown bar is so freaking tight as the glass is so snug that putting on the lock down caused the 1 inch foam 'things' to come off.
For some reason the game will just decided to plunge for me, most annoying. - Anyone else have this?
20 games in and the left spotlight just came apart; (what is that white stuff?

20210714_214752.jpg

The good points:
Wow what a rush and a game, love it.
The light show, music and package is brilliant, played AFMr after to have a rest!
Need a lie down after playing it!

Posts at outlines ✅
Cliffy at scoop & Shooter lane ✅
Upper playfield post ✅
Update to new software ✅
Check all mechs underneath ✅
Fit posts at Bumpers
Fit Pinwoofer kit ✅
Fit Art Of Pinball stuff

maybe then I will play a game!

Last edited:
playfield protector fail

Attachments

• 3B47CAA0-AC86-4857-B3AB-D9A2B006190F.jpeg
    3B47CAA0-AC86-4857-B3AB-D9A2B006190F.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 53
First JJP - I noticed with the lockdown bar - don’t force it.
Stick your hand under and feel for the latch, depress whilst pulling the yellow lever to the right and it will engage 👍

The stock sound is absolutely sh^t - sounds very tinny.
Glad I bought the Pinwoofer, not sure when I will be installing though.

Was there a reason no washers were sent out?
Curious if this is now advised against??

I haven’t flipped a game yet, I will be installing all protection tomorrow hopefully if I get time.
The engineer in me could feel something different immediately with the texture feel of the surface of my playfield once I got the glass off.
Sounds silly but not that rock hard feel, kinda soft to the finger tap.
So....with my fingernail with little to no pressure, I press and immediately leave an indentation.
Do the exact same test on my Kiss LE, not a single mark even with way more pressure, it’s completely fine.
Kiss just feels rock hard in comparison.
Repeated the test with my Mrs - same result.
The clear coat is way softer. Just a nervous observation.
B50E0CE7-F297-42C6-A838-F140AEE62477.jpeg

BD0E6CFD-9F57-485A-84D1-F8E5BE6A29B9.jpeg
FFEE9A11-86FE-4A2B-951C-C065E99A6802.jpeg

Posts at outlines ✅
Cliffy at scoop & Shooter lane ✅
Upper playfield post ✅
Update to new software ✅
Check all mechs underneath ✅
Fit posts at Bumpers
Fit Pinwoofer kit
Fit Art Of Pinball stuff

maybe then I will play a game!
You’ve been busy, 😂 I did the difficult stuff first 👍FE67A540-BFF7-4F9B-8A4F-64AA614CAB4B.jpegA0FB5E8A-69B8-476B-9947-AD247E0FBEAC.jpeg

Ok so update on gnr post fixes I have done 3 now
It’s looking like our batch of le has had new style posts fitted so no need to change anything
The CE has the old style post fit so 2 will need changing one by the pop bumpers and the one on the mini playfield those can be identified by they do not have a nut on the thread on the post as it’s too short to go through I fit the Williams ones supplied by Phil and also fit a thicker washer under the post so it doesn’t just sit on the collar of the post
Don’t remove the t nut as this keeps the post central
Make sure the post is tight down before fitting the nylock nut on the bottom
I also fit a rubber to the mini playfield post as it doesn’t come with one on this does not effect any shots
I am happy to document mini playfield removal with pics if that helps any one out

Ok so update on gnr post fixes I have done 3 now
It’s looking like our batch of le has had new style posts fitted so no need to change anything
The CE has the old style post fit so 2 will need changing one by the pop bumpers and the one on the mini playfield those can be identified by they do not have a nut on the thread on the post as it’s too short to go through I fit the Williams ones supplied by Phil and also fit a thicker washer under the post so it doesn’t just sit on the collar of the post
Don’t remove the t nut as this keeps the post central
Make sure the post is tight down before fitting the nylock nut on the bottom
I also fit a rubber to the mini playfield post as it doesn’t come with one on this does not effect any shots
I am happy to document mini playfield removal with pics if that helps any one out

I’ve just got a LE and the posts from Phil so that’s good to know nothing needs doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just got a LE and the posts from Phil so that’s good to know nothing needs doing.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.....
I'm looking at the pops now, do you think the pop posts would still benefit from a washer of some sort underneath?

Also, the two left outlane posts, i've just undone the lock-nut, these don't have a T-nut - just a locknut and they are definitely not thicker posts.
they have loads of slack.

The mini post have washers on already I think it’s down to you if you want to put any more washer on personally I wouldn’t unless I already had pooling which the ones I have seen so far do not
The out lane posts and all the other posts are 8/32 which is the correct size a small amount of play but but that’s ok the Williams ones are 10/32 and if you take the shouldered part are much too thick to go through the playfield unless serious force is used and if you don’t damage the playfield fitting it you will if you ever try and remove it

Mirror blades fit in gnr today bit tight but they do fit and a bit of modification with the dremel

Attachments

• 37E76982-CF27-4B78-984F-3A08BC93BA54.jpeg
    37E76982-CF27-4B78-984F-3A08BC93BA54.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 5D71E55E-54AA-4577-A28C-EC11B42E65FD.jpeg
    5D71E55E-54AA-4577-A28C-EC11B42E65FD.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 42
Fitted the posts supplied before I played any games, played about 20 or so games and I am seeing damage behind the post! (sadly pinball shed lighting is awful).
I did not put a washer on as Phil said not too.
Not a happy bunny!

20210717_211041.jpg
20210717_211046.jpg

Tomorrow I will take the post off, photo the damage in a better light and then put a washer on.

Anyone got a better idea?

FFS

You need to iron that Julian or it’s going to come off - I’ve got kevlar’s iron - I’m sure he would be ok using it to iron this down. But you should email Phil and get his view officially as you don’t want to do anything that might hose the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn’t put a washer on until it’s ironed. Mine had washers and the post was tight still got the issue. As I said there is no fix for this other than playfields with proper clear.

Such a shame to see this after you've gone through the effort to avoid it. Personally I think the mylar circles will hold it all together once flattened/ironed but christ, everyone has differing opinions still! The washer will atleast hide the damage once flattened and probably help avoid more.

After 89 games and no mods the slightest bit of damage at the post in its own but my 6 year olds games only last around 3 mins and I’m not much better.
b663e6979b472911dffe3490a255a074.jpg
IMG_8294.jpg
IMG_8295.jpg

Such a shame to see this after you've gone through the effort to avoid it. Personally I think the mylar circles will hold it all together once flattened/ironed but christ, everyone has differing opinions still! The washer will atleast hide the damage once flattened and probably help avoid more.

Mylar?! That honestly does nothing spooky tried it and others tried it. They just come off after a few plays.

Once ironed you don’t even need the petg washers which in my view are a total waste of time anyway - but the problem with GNR is that there is to much to iron.

I think the CE’s will all get this badly as all of the CE’s seem to have been hit with it - the LEs might get less because they are the newer mirco playfield per Dave’s quality post but I don’t hold out much hope based on other posts on pinside. The posts being at fault when folks had pooling and chipping at regular screw points was always a total waste of time and anyone believing that ****wit retrococko needs their head looking at.

Guys, I played two games so far - just to make sure the pin works.....
Got song Applause on my 2nd game.... then encore ..... insane lol....
Not playing anymore until I find best way forward...

Back
Top Bottom