What's new

New horrid ransomware of doom wreaking havoc!

Yes it's very bad and we've been on the lookout for it very closely since it was first heard about.

Be VERY careful what you open and if possible ensure you have a decent backup. Nasty stuff.

I started to hear about this from numerous sources so read up a bit. I spoke to the reverse engineers and they said that it sounds like you are screwed when it has encrypted things. They are hoping to get a copy to actually take apart but this could be very simple and still very effective.

Folks, don't open attachments from emails unless:
  1. You were expecting the content
  2. The email matches what you would expect from this person
If it comes from a company, question:
  1. Why are they mailing you?
  2. Is it at all likely this is not a scam?
  3. How would they get that email address?
Banks you have online accounts should not send you links or attachments. If there is an link, ignore it and follow your usual log in process.
Finally, if it sounds too good to be true. It probably is.

As said, have back ups, burn to DVD's every so often, and run Anti-virus/malicious code detection.
I also own a few domain names (@whateveriwant.com), these forward emails to another address so I can re-route emails. When i use an online service I sign up with an address for that web site google@whateveriwant.com, pinballinfo@whateveriwant.com. This allows me to track which companies have lost control of their email lists. I can then block those email addresses later.

Good advice Geoff. I don't open any attachments I receive and if in doubt i'll save them out and open them in notepad so I can see what they really contain. That makes me sound like a right paranoid bugger but you really can't be too careful nowadays.

Can someone explain it in English, and in a max of one paragraph. If you don't have any bitcoins, can you ignore this?

No you can't ignore it.

Basically - get infected and it encrypts all of your files (of specific types) using a secret key. Then you have to pay to get the files decrypted. Don't pay quickly enough and the key is destroyed thus leaving you NO way to get your files back. Unless you happen to have them backed up of course. Not all files are at risk but most of the common ones are (JPG images for example are on the list).

Basically don't run any attachment you're sent unless you are 100% what it is and who it's from.

Reactions: JT.
Is this Windows only or has it been seen on OSX as well? I'm assuming from the info on that site (it spawning Windows processes and updating reg keys) that it only affects Windows machines?

Windows only I believe. Largest user base for them to hit. Security historically wad worse too although Microsoft are trying to improve things since Vista onwards.

Windows only I believe. Largest user base for them to hit. Security historically wad worse too although Microsoft are trying to improve things since Vista onwards.

And that is why I have a Mac :)

Back
Top Bottom