What's new

New higher £250 eBay final value fee cap

Nedreud

Registered
Likely to be of interest to anyone selling decent pins on eBay that are likely to go for more than £750 (not mine then, 'cos they're worth peanuts) but as of 2nd September 2014 the final value fee cap of £75 is being increased to £250. The official announcement on 1 August 2014 is here http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201408011229082.html but here's the copy:

pics.ebaystatic.com_aw_pics_s.gif***New final value fee cap for private sellers on eBay.co.uk***
pics.ebaystatic.com_aw_pics_s.gif
01 August, 2014 | 12:29PM BST
pics.ebaystatic.com_aw_pics_s.gif
Hello,

On 2 September 2014, the maximum final value fee for private sellers will increase from £75 to £250. This change will only impact listings with a sale price of £750 and above (or £937.50 and above for private sellers with a Basic Shop) and will affect items listed from 2 September 2014 onwards.

As a private seller without a Basic Shop, this means that if you sell an item for under £2,500 your final value fee will be 10% of the total transaction price (including postage). If your item sells for over £2,500 you will be charged a maximum final value fee of £250.

As a private seller with a Basic Shop, this means if you sell an item for under £3,125 your final value fee will be 8% of that total transaction price (including postage). If your item sells for over £3125 you will be charged a maximum final value fee of £250.

This change does not apply to motors listings, property or classifieds. Business Seller fees remain unchanged.

Full details of eBay fees for private sellers can be found here.

Regards,
The eBay Team

Currently, eBay charges 10% on the final selling price up to a maximum of £75. This means that for things under £750 you're charged 10%, e.g., sold for £600 the fee is £600/10 = £60. As the cap is £75 anything over £750 you're always charged £75 in fees. For example, sell a pin for £800 it's £75, or sell a pin for £3,000 it's £75.

As of 2 September 2014 the cap is increased to £250. That means the 10% applies to sales up to £2,500. So that pin sold for £800 will now cost you £80 in fees. Not a massive jump at this price, but if you're selling something like a TAF for £3,000 then the fee will jump from £75 to £250 (because you're charged 10% up to £2,500 = £250)!

Personally, I've always found the fee cap odd and had assumed the 10% applied to all final selling prices, but as I'd never sold anything anywhere near £750 (and unlikely too) hadn't given it much thought.

But be warned pin sellers! List your top-end pins before 2 September or be hit with higher fees. Or just shaft eBay back by using it as a shop window, sell cash on collection and cancel the auction.

£250 is a lot to pay a middle man. Never sold a machine yet on ebay. Used Gumtree for the first time recently and that seemed to work OK and was free.

Not sure I'd let an auction run for a decent game if I knew that I'd lose £250 of the sales price. Can see a lot more overpriced BIN machines turning up as a result of this. Maybe it will drive more traffic onto this site

Don't they have a rule now whereby if you cancel the auction, you still pay the fees, to stop this kind of activity? I've also not used ebay to sell a pin before, but think someone mentioned this rule on here before.

Haven't sold many pins on Ebay and now unlikely to again. £250 is just taking the p*ss.

Well, that will kill pin sales on ebay. Not a good thing at all imo.

That said, I too have never had to sell a machine on ebay. Thank god.

I have bought a few pins from eBay and always outside of the listing, don't think that will change.
I didn't think anyone did it official like

It does seem fairly steep but most auction houses charge between 12% - 15% commission so not extortionate.

Add in the percentage for receiving paypal and it's starting to extract the pee..

Don't they have a rule now whereby if you cancel the auction, you still pay the fees, to stop this kind of activity? I've also not used ebay to sell a pin before, but think someone mentioned this rule on here before.

Yup. You're allowed one "withdrawal" in a year... then after that you pay fees based upon whatever the current value of the auction is before you pulled it...

People could always sell their pins here. It's free...!!!

Hmm.. maybe i should start charging... ;) ;)

Reactions: JT.
This site works great for selling your pins.
Plenty of happy buyers and sellers on here and if you do sell your stuff on here it's always nice to donate a little to the site.
You could even donate £250 but that would be daft, just a few quid goes a long way to keeping this great site up and running.

Auction houses have a lot more overheads to cover for the amount of sales they deal with compared with Ebay. Ebay is just getting greedy now!

I have never sold anything on Ebay, and now with this excessive hike in commission I never will!

I have sold several games on this group previously, and have found that, along with selling at shows, or by word of mouth, I have never needed to use Ebay and pay their extortionate fees to sell a machine.

i guess all higher price pins that go to ebay have now increased in value of £250,ebay =greedy b-----ds:mad:

This site works great for selling your pins.
Plenty of happy buyers and sellers on here and if you do sell your stuff on here it's always nice to donate a little to the site.
You could even donate £250 but that would be daft, just a few quid goes a long way to keeping this great site up and running.
Unlikely to happen anytime soon but if I was selling I would definitely offer it on here first. It would be nice to keep in touch and generally keep it "in the community".

For selling off general bits and bobs you want rid of, eBay is great. Can't beat the coverage and exposure. I've been happy with what I've sold and 10% commission is quite acceptable. The bit I'm not so happy with is that P&P is now included in that 10%, and the real sting in the tail is that eBay own PayPal so the fees you pay there are really going to eBay too.

But better to get 75p out of pound by selling some old bit of toot that would otherwise just sit in the loft or garage :)

Used Gumtree for the first time recently and that seemed to work OK and was free.

Funny thing about Gumtree, it's owned by ebay. Only a matter of time before the fees start appearing there.

Not sure what goes on at these board meeting in eBayland. Probably a big bag of beak and alot of back slapping...

That's a big difference for most pins sold on eBay these days. I could just about swallow £75. They can go and jump for a £250 slice

Will be interesting to see how it pans out but it may not be all bad if sales are driven to places like here :);)

Back
Top Bottom