What's new

New driverboard installed, now flipper-coil melted,,, why??

trabbart

Registered
i'am a little wurried,,, its my first burned coil
i have rebuild a gottlieb light action camera,
at first all rubbers where bad, realy bad,
some targets didnt work, the pinball was been used as an exploitation object and was hard beaten up,
the higest score i could get was +/- 4.500.000 ,,,

i rebuild the flippers , new sleeves and complete flippers mechanism
replaced the driverboard and some lamps, fine tuned everything , cleaned etc etc,,
the thing came back to live,,

today ,,, i had a score over 10.000.000. imagine, the pinball works now verry verry good,,
my son, eight years old , played also,, and i must say he has to learn, he keeps the flippers somewhat longer open ,,, but not that extremely long,, i just had to tell him a few times ,, and he scored also higer ,, we played only 6 games,,
suddenly , the sound of tilt,didnt want to restart again when i opend the front door the sick making smell of burning wires,,,, and a dead pinball.

i found (with my nose) a realy hot stinking flippercoil ,,,melted fixed and a burned fuse, 32v 10amps
removed the coil , checked the new driverboard, who seemes to be intact ,, but cant test now.

i am just a litle scared why do coils melt? is it of age? is it possible that my only 10 games old driverboard is already broken?

no, not yet, will be my first job before playing again,,,, but wat can a fuse prevent from a coil to burn,, and why does a coil start melting suddenly? it is melting because it is getting hot, but why is it getting hot? shorted inside?? from age ??
can i just order a new coil and install it?

Flippers are (edit) NOT driver board driven, so board should be ok. Suspect the end of stroke switch was not opening which removed high power and leaves safe holding power. When flipper held on, full power applied constantly so coil quickly melts. Fuse should be 8a I think. Andy

Last edited:
thanks, that could be the reson, the switch,,
i am going to replace both coils anyway,, and check the switch ,,and put fuses in like in the manual,,

Flippers are driver board driven, so board should be ok. Suspect the end of stroke switch was not opening which removed high power and leaves safe holding power. When flipper held on, full power applied constantly so coil quickly melts. Fuse should be 8a I think. Andy

other sys3 fuse for flippers are 4amp,check switches like Andy says

replaced the coil, checked the switches ,,plays fine again
i could not get the exact same gothlieb coils , seller sold me a little stronger ones, not noticeble, but now the fuse melted 3 times. i took the risk and put a 6 amp instead of the 4 and all seems fine now,, played for two hours, no problems , coil is not getting hot..

Back
Top Bottom