What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never again...

Sam C

Site Supporter
Alias
Archy
Everyone told me it was horrible, that it was the worst job you can do. How hard can it be? Oh man I regret it now. Freaking pop bumpers! 6 hours to replace 3 pop bumpers. I'd love to know whoever designed them to be held in place by the stupid long lamp legs which require pulling out to get to the body, wafers and spring!

They do look bloody good though.

i.imgur.com_iisT3nB.jpg

Smashes wafers replaced, new green bodies and teal caps, new rings as well. Also @Paul I managed to get your ROM in which is working a treat ta! :)

Now I'm knackered and going for a shower, this is not how I envisioned spending Saturday night but well worth while :rofl:

Pops are the design of the devil. 6 hours is a bit excessive - but understandable!!

Where did ya get the led rings from?? :)

My first time ever attempting it, so the first one took bloody ages. But I know what to do now, just pray I never have to do it again!

Williams/Bally pop bumbers are utter crap, as are most of their assemblies. I hate doing them. Takes ages and I always hit my head on something or lose parts in the abyss.

Data East/SEGA/Stern however all you have to do is remove the cap and then unscrew 4 screws under the playfield, then the whole assembly drops out. Very easy. I curse Williams and their crappy pins!

Congrats on your LED rings though, they look uber sexy!

you forgot to mention the extra 2 hours to set them up working "just right"

Sure Johnny apprreciates it:)

Williams/Bally pop bumbers are utter crap, as are most of their assemblies.

Data East/SEGA/Stern however all you have to do is remove the cap and then unscrew 4 screws under the playfield, then the whole assembly drops out. Very easy.

I've always disliked the Gottlieb pop bumper, with its ridiculous 'trim platter' (a non-adhesive round plastic sheet, which lies under, and extends beyond, the skirt). Far too prone to getting creased, and a full strip-down job to change.

The Bally 'thumper' bumper unit, introduced on Eight Ball Deluxe, also detaches easily from the playfield, and was still in use during the WPC era; I heard at a technician seminar given by Mr. Cahill of Wms that it was only allowed for 'Bally' projects (though I think it's used on the Williams badged Demolition Man).

From what I've seen of it, the DE bumper is similar to the design used by the later 'classic' Stern games such as Flight 2000 and Cheetah, but with the plastic frame in black rather than white. The earlier Stern games (and Chicago Coin before them) also had an easily removable bumper unit.

Last edited:
Strange statement, seeing you own Bally/Williams pins .

Truth be told I keep trying to convince myself Bally/Williams made the best pins, since everybody else seems to think so. It hasn't worked yet. Rollergames is a keeper but the rest will be moving on soon. DE/SEGA/Stern have always made the best in my opinion. Particularly the DE era.

Actually, kinda on topic. I absolutely love how serviceable Revenge From Mars is. This and SWEP1 are probably the easiest pins in the world to work on.

The main problem with pop bumpers that use a plastic all in one bracket instead of the 3 nail approach is some energy is lost in movement/bending of the bracket when activated. So they never seem as sharp, or make the best sound. This is the reason I believe Williams never altered it.

I've got a mix of both. PARAGON has the older 3-nail style and GOLD BALL and VECTOR the newer 8BD plastic-base style. True the old style are a ****er to remove due to the stapled lamp wires whereas the plastic-base style have push-on connectors for the lamp so easier to service, but I prefer the old style because the playfield artwork extends under the wafer/skirt whereas the white base is clearly visible on the 8DB version.

Back
Top Bottom