What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Narrow door problem

paul1962

Registered
Hi,
My outside doors are only 70cm wide but many posts on here suggest a 74cm gap is needed due to the width of the top unit.
How difficult is it to completely remove the top unit so I can get a machine through my narrow doors?
Hope it’s not too tricky!

Thanks
Paul

A few here have done the shark fin method, turning the head physically 90 degrees while leaving everything connected.

Hi,
My outside doors are only 70cm wide but many posts on here suggest a 74cm gap is needed due to the width of the top unit.
How difficult is it to completely remove the top unit so I can get a machine through my narrow doors?
Hope it’s not too tricky!

Thanks
Paul

If you've never done it before it's complete pain in the ****. I did it once and still needed the kind help of @CHRIS B PINBALLS to help talk me through it on the phone.

The backbox (top unit) is where you should unplug everything. I suggest taking 20+ pictures from every angle and sticking labels on.

All the above is assuming that you have an older machine of course, the modern ones have far less wiring to get wrong.

Would you gain any by taking door off hinges? Makes the difference for me. Data east fit thru with door on, but Bally/ Williams don’t.

I had to do the shark fin method, first time owning a pin and having to open it up and fiddle about was a little daunting.
But all you need to do is undo 4 bolts and then the backbox is loose!

Not too difficult

Thanks for the replies.
Removing the doors doesn’t help :(
I think the best option is to remove the backbox.

Not yet found my first machine to buy but keep checking the forum for machines around £2K
Probably just thinking too much about gameplay.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.
Removing the doors doesn’t help :(
I think the best option is to remove the backbox.

Not yet found my first machine to buy but keep checking the forum for machines around £2K
Probably just thinking too much about gameplay.

Paul

Don't go as far as removing it. All the cables stay intact, all you do is undo the hinges that hold the backbox so you can move it with the cables still attached. There's enough give in the cables that you can twist the backbox. 20200819_161922.jpg

Reactions: Bod
I've done the shark fin once to get a machine into a mates house. We were halfway in before we realised it wasn't going to work. Front door came off the hinges but we were stuck in the hallway, and it wouldn't get into his living room.
LW3 went in and out ok, but fish tales is a tiny bit wider.
When I took it out I just removed the head completely, not that daunting as long as you label each connector as you remove it.

I have a UPVC external door and the door mouldings are quite thick. I cut a section large enough to accommodate a backbox out and can now remove and replace it when necessary. Also Sega games have slightly narrower backboxes.

My previous house was a nightmare, the front door and hall had just enough space to get the pin in the front door and then up against the opposite wall before it then needed to slide on it base to the left, until aligned with the entrance to the kitchen which was too narrow. Then I got the sack truck back under from inside the doorway, slowly lower it on the truck, bringing the body in the doorway as we opened up the top, then shark fin through the door on the sack truck.

IMG_0042.JPG

For the next pin move, I just took the head off and then did that for them when they came and went, it wasn't that hard to work it out where the cables went and there really isn't that many.
IMG_0043.JPG

I have to remove the head every time at the moment, it does mean before turning on a new pin I’ve visually checked every connector and it good to become familiar with that side of things.
That said my first Stern that I got recently (TWD) was so much easier than Bally/Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never sharkfin'd, always ended taken front door off the hinges. THEN I realised Stern backboxes were slightly thinner......whoo-hoo 😁

DataEast/Sega/Stern pinball machines are the thinnest at the backbox.

Neil

Thanks everyone. Really has to be backbox off as sharkfin would get it in the hall but i wouldn't be able move it anywhere after that.

Not found a machine to buy yet but I'm sure it won't be too long :)

I've had to take the back box off more or less every game I've owned. Bally/Williams stuff is pretty intimidating. Whitestar, SAM System games very straightforward, Spike system games are an absolute doddle.

Sorry everyone if this has been covered to death but; 26” wide door into my shed- 70” high. Would it be possible to get a Stern 2000- 2009 manufactured pin through this?

27" so no. You might be able to wiggle it in or take the backbox off.

Hoping I can spin the back box sideways
If you can’t and need to remove the backbox it’s honestly not as daunting as it might first seem.

Take photos before you unplug anything, if your really worried use a little painters tape and number up the connectors and the board connections.

I transport a lot of pinballs. When I have to deliver them to a client, or, I have to pick up one. Narrow doors, hallways, stairs etc. are a pain! My preferred method is just to disconnect everything out of the backbox and take the backbox of the pinball. That way nothing gets damaged in the process. Like @AlanJ says here above, just tag your cables and your ready to go. The shark method can be done, but if one of your cables isn't long enough.... and ouch I have seen some damage using this method. Mostly there is too much stretch (stress!) on the cables and on the boards, not a way to go, unless you are certain that there is enough cable left.
If you disconnect everything and you have to take the stairs, you can also take out the playfield, this saves your back while lifting your cabinet :)!!

78995905-FC60-4339-8B0E-076E218FCFA6.jpegHere is how I have to get my games through the door. Shark fin...but by simply turning the head on its central axis so no stretching cables!
This being a widebody, I had to take the hinges off the cab too to slide it through the door, so this is as bad / tight as it gets for me.
Thanks again to @Spandangler for the assistance with this one.

This morning I collected for Chris B a pinball. The door way was tight, and so was the alley way at the side of the house. Nearly crippled myself trying to get it out, along with the seller.

10 mins max, take of back box.

Easy.

Take photos and also check each position in the manual as it should tell you the colours of every cable to every connector. Also the connectors are keyed so its unlikely you will make a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom