What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Mylar

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
Just been on ebay and someone is selling Mylar A4 for what I consider to be not cheap. Am I wrong. Does it really cost this much?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinball-...353477?hash=item4b3efd9585:g:UH4AAOSwDNdVyMip

Ive just had to install some playfield decals I guess I need more than 1 A4 sheet to be on the safe side. So if anyone has some decent bits (as I want to put mylar over some larger sections) - or can sell me a couple of sheets let me know. Mr Palmer doesnt have any.

Cheers ! :)

I’ve used this in the past but it really depends on what your covering 3m long but only 150mm wide, i’ve Used it turned through about 45 degrees to give a wider but odd shaped protectors, I suppose you could use two sheets? But that’s got to leave a join?
i.ebayimg.com_images_g_mEwAAOSwLJ9aKt52_s_l200.jpg

Look at this on eBay
PSP Mylar Tape 150mm X 3m - Clear

anybody tried either of the mylar products ?
either the A4 sheets or the 150mm x 3m tape ?
and what are the long and short term results ?
does either live up to factory mylar ?

The roll stuff is like normal pinball mylar. Will it last ? Who knows!? I would offer you some of my leftovers but the price you pay for it to get a full roll you may as well just grab some.

The A4 sheets on ebay are overpriced in my opinion.

The roll stuff is like normal pinball mylar. Will it last ? Who knows!? I would offer you some of my leftovers but the price you pay for it to get a full roll you may as well just grab some.

The A4 sheets on ebay are overpriced in my opinion.

im not bothered about the price, i could easily buy both to try, its the damage it might do to an old playfield that bothers me if it needs to come of again,
Ive bought machines before that turn out to be mylared with sticky back plastic or clear cellotape, it doesn't last long and it never goes well trying to remove it as old playfields usually have paint that prefers to stick to the clear substance that has been applied rather than the wood.

im not bothered about the price, i could easily buy both to try, its the damage it might do to an old playfield that bothers me if it needs to come of again,
Ive bought machines before that turn out to be mylared with sticky back plastic or clear cellotape, it doesn't last long and it never goes well trying to remove it as old playfields usually have paint that prefers to stick to the clear substance that has been applied rather than the wood.

I have used the 3m stuff and it was just as I thought it would be i.e. it wasn’t sticky back plastic or cello tape it’s Mylar
In the time I had the machines with it on it appeared to last fine, but I can’t really compare it to being on a machine for 20/30 years as some factory ones have been, I used it to protect either usual heavy wear areas or to try and stop/limit areas where wear was starting (got to try and save a few for the next generation) I was suitable impressed enough to recommend as I did above. I certainly wouldn’t want to take it up or down numerous times as it sticks like **** and has the real possibility of damaging the playfield if taken back up, so really it’s your decision. I have taken the Mylar off a couple of playfield now, and I didn’t put back a complete Mylar protector I only put back sections that I wanted to protect from either further damage or that are usual high wear areas, but these didn’t go back into commercial environments just home use.
I think that playfield total strip and clear coat is the way to go for total protection but it’s just not economical or within my skill set (he says at the moment) in some cases, they do a thin Perspex type protector that i’ve heard some good and not so good things about but you have to strip all or most of the playfield to install so it’s really up to you, give it a try, as Dr Pepper says what’s the worse that could happen?
Some would probably say never put it back?

Last edited:
@Gandalf have you researched cutting your own overlay protectors from Lexan or similar, this is a good option with its own pros and cons.

@Gandalf have you researched cutting your own overlay protectors from Lexan or similar, this is a good option with its own pros and cons.

believe it or not YES ( LOL )
my ex-partner has all that CNC and laser cutting stuff , massive vinyl printers of every kind and type and all the printing supplies imaginable
and does all that commercially for a living
however we don't even talk anymore, nor will we ever, no matter what.

Last edited:

the research i did myself, suggests that rolls of that PET-G non sticky are very cheap, and I mean cheap, all you need is a largish laser cutter and some time to create vectored templates, the ready made ones are about £110 each if i'm not mistaken, material cost considerably less than £10 each if PET-G bought on a roll

Last edited:
I have used the 3m stuff and it was just as I thought it would be i.e. it wasn’t sticky back plastic or cello tape it’s Mylar
In the time I had the machines with it on it appeared to last fine, but I can’t really compare it to being on a machine for 20/30 years as some factory ones have been, I used it to protect either usual heavy wear areas or to try and stop/limit areas where wear was starting (got to try and save a few for the next generation) I was suitable impressed enough to recommend as I did above. I certainly wouldn’t want to take it up or down numerous times as it sticks like **** and has the real possibility of damaging the playfield if taken back up, so really it’s your decision. I have taken the Mylar off a couple of playfield now, and I didn’t put back a complete Mylar protector I only put back sections that I wanted to protect from either further damage or that are usual high wear areas, but these didn’t go back into commercial environments just home use.
I think that playfield total strip and clear coat is the way to go for total protection but it’s just not economical or within my skill set (he says at the moment) in some cases, they do a thin Perspex type protector that i’ve heard some good and not so good things about but you have to strip all or most of the playfield to install so it’s really up to you, give it a try, as Dr Pepper says what’s the worse that could happen?
Some would probably say never put it back?

the stuff that was linked to Ebay was not 3M , it was some sort of sail repair tape, not something I know anything about, I've ordered some anyway, however dont know what im going to try it on as i dont have any spare playfield that i would consider an expendable write-off.
I've been looking at several other sources aswell of different type mylars,
a major problem with that tape stuff I can see is its not backed with anything, so cutting it into shapes isn't going to be easy.
best stuff I used to get was full sheets of the proper stuff sent from the USA
that source dried up several years ago

another source I had was from a microwave oven factory
amazing stuff, they stick it on the inside of the mesh on the doors
it is indestructible, sticks like **** , lasts forever and remains crystal clear
that source has gone too
so if anyone knows someone who can get the stuff that goes on the inside of microwave oven doors
or knows where we can get it from
then let everyone know, it is the best ive ever seen or used.

all you need is a largish laser cutter and some time to create vectored templates
A few guys have stripped the pf and cut with a dremel with the Lexan in place - check out nedrueds GOLD BALL shop log on here for an example.

A few guys have stripped the pf and cut with a dremel with the Lexan in place - check out nedrueds GOLD BALL shop log on here for an example.

:clap::thumbs: , yep now I remember reading about the "Gold Ball" restore, the dremelling of the plastic sheet etc, and even played it !
being a senile old gipper with sieve memory syndrome, i completely forgot about reading about that GB restore project.

:thumbs: The upside of being a senile old gipper with sieve memory syndrome is never getting bored of simple repetative machines, every day its a new machine !
I can watch old movies too, over and over again, downside is i buy the same DVD more than once because I forget I have it already.

the major downside I can see to these Perspex cover sheets, is they are not stuck down, so will get dirt etc under them over time, which is highly likely to cause problems and wear

Last edited:
I dont really care how long this stuff lasts - its protecting playfield overlay stickers from raised inserts and old wear and tear.
It had previously the same overlay stickers installed but the print has worn off, thus me putting this stuff on top.
It is never going to be a mint example, but the overlays covered with this stuff works well and looks good to be honest.
If I have to re apply then so be it.
I would never totally mylar a whole playfield or put one of those horrid protectors on. We had one on a TAF in Tilt and it looked pretty awful once the game had a load of plays. Keeps your playfield nice of course. So its the owners choice.
My AFM will not be in my care for years, I tend to swap/trade/sell stuff on as I get bored quickly.

in the 1970s I remember people had them clear plastic runners on their stairs and hall to protect the precious carpet

there is a Medusa that has been touring all the shows for years, looks like a patchwork quilt of mylar, still plays OK and they use it in tournaments, i bet everyone here knows who owns it, except me !

Thinking about buying some of that sail repair stuff to put on my potc disc, but how easy is it to cut, with it being on a roll?

Back
Top Bottom