What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mylar removal

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
got what i think is a nasty dose of mylar on my rfm. what’s best way to remove this please? warm air?

whole playfield has it on and it’s worn all over the place

64486f98d16bb6f5d575f6ed030748b5.jpg

620c05876054422219b1a6b3a1ef5a30.jpg

e5c0aff296708b88176ef5f924323150.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done warm air aided with go-gone and had good results, but take your time it’s easy to damage areas. Leaves a sticky mess behind that takes ages to get off
I’ve also heard about people using freeze spray

Hot air gun. Do not use the freeze spray method as this will lift the art work underneath the mylar. Use exstream caution when lifting the mylar. Take your time as one mistake and the playfield is ruined. I advise removing most of the playfield equipment ramps post jet poppers, you get the picture.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Def freeze spray every time . I’ve done 40 or 50 . Try hot air if you want it mostly works but this will lift paint if it’s going to go . Freeze spray will loose the Mylar but leave the glue . Both methods work but I always do the freeze spray first

I’ve done both freeze and hot air methods before and had good results with both. My general rule is freeze for diamond plate and newer play fields and hot air for the older stuff. Then use the flour method to get the glue off [emoji106]

Get some surgical spirit from the chemist or any alcohol agreed to clean the glue. That era play field will easily wipe easy enough

Good luck with that - it's all going into production of hand sanitizer at the moment

thanks for all the advice folks. the insert artwork or decals (not sure what they are to be honest) are loose in places as well i fear these are going to come off. one is flapping anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will do it for u if you can wait
Just a quick word of warning having done this so many times ,,, both methods can work but both methods if they cause any issues can peel off easily but when you get to an insert takIng the insert decals out,, get a cheap plastic thick Stanley knife with the blade at full length and I do a sawing action under through the glue between the play field and Mylar whilst freezing or hair drying.. surgical spirit from the chemist is my glue removal method .. just the clear stuff not surgical with added oil

Flour method - Probably be cheaper and easier to buy a new board than getting hold of flour atm!
I’ve done both freeze and hot air methods before and had good results with both. My general rule is freeze for diamond plate and newer play fields and hot air for the older stuff. Then use the flour method to get the glue off [emoji106]
Be easier and cheaper to get a new playfield than get hold of flour 😁

Even those seem crazy expensive in my view. It always reminds me of space balls buying a can of air :-/

View attachment 106848
Yes a large tin can is nearly 18 quid as I remember but it’s worth every penny if not using it pulls inserts decals out , I’ve spent 50quid doing just one play field before now. Some just don’t seem to want to part with their Mylar

Back
Top Bottom