What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mylar and clear-coating

JMP

Site Supporter
So I'm removing mylar from an Alien Poker playfield.....

s1.postimg.org_3x171q0or3_20171010_200726.jpg

s1.postimg.org_1d8438r5pb_20171010_202810.jpg

Still got some adhesive residue to remove from the inserts shown and the black borders will need touching in... but as the sheen/clear-coat has also come off, it really needs clear-coating to protect it from future play. I can't be ars*d stripping the playfield completely underneath for spraying, so anyone clear-coated by brush before? If so, what technique and what type of varnish/clear-coat is recommended?

Cheers.

IMHO i would not try it by brush mate. I think you could ruin what looks to me like a fantastic playfiled. Be ****d :), strip the playfireld. Or... Just Mylar the bits that need it.

Clear coat looks better than mylar. you could mask the area off and just clear coat that area that the inserts are on? would be just the same as mylar but looks better, I just done same on a LW3

Aye, brushing clearcoat on will look terrible. Cover it in **** loads of wax if you can't be ****d clearcoating the whole playfield

Forgot I'd posted this thread..... since starting this all the mylar came off with only small bits of paint lift that could be touched in... great. However..... came back a few days later and the paint had bubbled up in two places, now got two sizeable areas down to wood. :( Should have just left the mylar alone, despite the ugliness and splits in it...

Project is now shelved as gonna be a time consuming and expensive job needing playfield restoration and sprayed clear-coat, (meaning I'll have to strip everything underneath after all), new backglass, new displays, new boards other than the sound board and a ton of work on the mechs to clear rusted bits.

Long rainy days project in some future winter or maybe just fancy playfield wall art. Anyone need an Alien Poker cab ? :rofl:

Throw a playfield protector on it so you can still play it until that rainy day comes.

Any idea what caused the paint to blister, what did you use to remove the mylar glue?

No idea.... it only happened in two places whereas the same method was used throughout removal of the whole sheet.... Label remover with hair dryer then IPA and rag to remove the glue underneath. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom