What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade My STTNG for your LOTR

SteffParry

Registered
Hello all,

After playing LOTR a couple of times at the Tilt, I've decided that I must have one!

Unfortunately I can only really house one table at a time, which means that my lovely STTNG has to go.

Was fully shopped when I bought it 2 years ago, flippers rebuilt, new ramps etc.

More recently serviced by Martin @ Go Pinball, there are no errors, all switches/ bulbs/rubbers/optos acting as they should.

Only problem is that the left cannon is sluggish when turning. Doesn't bother me, gives me more time to aim! Decided to leave it as is.

Photos available to interested parties.

I'm after a player's condition LOTR, doesn't need to be mint, don't care about skillposts, it just needs to be fully working.

Presume this will involve some cash from me to you, or I could maybe throw in an ID4 for a straight swap?

Would also consider a Roadshow with cash my way.

Let me know what you've got!

Maybe you should talk to Phil Palmer as he provides all machines at Tilt.

I know some machines are getting swapped out over the next few weeks. I'm unsure what's going out.

Your STTNG should sell quick enough. But you'd have to put a new motor/gearbox on it I would suspect to get maximum £.

Maybe you should talk to Phil Palmer as he provides all machines at Tilt.

I know some machines are getting swapped out over the next few weeks. I'm unsure what's going out.

Your STTNG should sell quick enough. But you'd have to put a new motor/gearbox on it I would suspect to get maximum £.
Iron Man is leaving. :)

Sell the STTNG on ebay. Its the only way you will get anywhere near the value of a LOTR. As a direct swap, its not really a good deal for the LOTR owner as STTNG is nowhere near the same gameplay quality.

Sell the STTNG on ebay. Its the only way you will get anywhere near the value of a LOTR. As a direct swap, its not really a good deal for the LOTR owner as STTNG is nowhere near the same gameplay quality.

Also there is a fair price gap. I'd value a top end minty STTNG at 2.3k or under. I paid 4.5k for my nice minty LOTR roughly a year ago. In terms of a swap I'd want STTNG and ID4 plus over 1k cash to make it fair.

Not wanting to put a damper on OP's request but realistically that's what you're looking at for what's being offered to get the game you want. LOTR tends to go for between 3.5-4.5 depending on condition so a rough one might be okay for a straight swap.

You're only saying what everyone else is thinking Sam.
It is what it is.

Not to say there's isn't someone waiting for that trade. But it will defo need to be buffered with cash.

Good luck Steff.

Yes I'm aware of the price gap and I know I'd have to stump up some cash. I'm looking to "trade up" a part exchange like you would with a car. Don't agree with the comment on gameplay quality though! Star Trek is consistently a top 3 of all time machine by any metric!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say it's an unlikely scenario, my advice would be to sell sttng and have the cash ready for a lotr when one appears for sale or put up a wanted thread here when you're ready. This thread is here so leave it open but I'd cover more bases than just this one. Good luck I hope you get there, once I get it in my head I want a certain pin it's like I'm gollum needing that ring!

As others have said, there's a £1500-2000 gap between the 2 depending on condition

Yes others have said it, so why repeat it?

Do you really think I'm expecting someone to do a direct swap of a £4K machine for a £2k machine?

I'm hoping someone with a LOTR may fancy a downgrade and some wonga in their pocket, I've seen similar deals struck on here.

I know I could just sell it and wait but thought I'd try this route first. You never know!

In the fullness of time a sttng will be worth more than a lotr. Proper high water Mark wpc game from Pinball's golden period versus a built-to-a-price Stern with Epson dot matrix printing

But as some geezer said, in the long run we are all dead

Agree with the op - Lotr is dark and boring!!! Would take a sttng hands down anytime :)

Had both, still got the STNG. Just.

Actually I think LOTR is much the better game, especially with the shaker.

Only thing I really disliked about LOTR was the resolution of the art and playfield art, also whoever sanctioned that should be hung, drawn and quartered. As an aside I would have preferred less speech in LOTR but a higher sampling rate. Had Pinsound been available, I'd have probably kept it.

STNG is a classic but I've had more niggly problems with it then any other other than my temperamental TAF. Great audio and exciting modes imho.

Since I had set about collecting the top 10 rated machines, I had to let LOTR go (even if it's in the Pinside top 10) - and it was a hard decision. And one that still niggles at my soul. :)

I'm lucky enough to have both games in top condition and love them both, they're both classics in their own ways. LOTR is a great game and definitely one of Stern's best imo. The ruleset is really well done and definitely more developed than STTNG. As its 10 years newer you'd expect it to be though! STTNG is the far superior shooting machine for me though and still has plenty enough ruleset to keep the mind occupied.

You can tell STTNG was from an era when the industry was booming and the designers and manufacturers were throwing their heart, soul and money into it. It doesn't matter how well you try to setup a LOTR it will always reject loads of clean shots due to lame playfield design, and Stern build quality, print quality and flipper feel suck. So yea overall for me STTNG > LOTR all day long for me too.

I'll probably keep STTNG forever, but likely get rid of LOTR at some point. If only I could get to Valinor....yea maybe it will be staying for a while yet lol!

Also just to reiterate that I said I'd consider a Roadshow as well. Hopefully that's more palatable to the "value police" above! [emoji23]

People that own said machine, will defend it to the death when it comes time to move it on. They also usually get supremely upset if an opinion offered is poles apart from their own.

If its such a good game, why do they want rid of it?..... Because they want a more expensive game and the best way to get that is to 'talk up' the old one.

Happens all the time when someone wants a new machine. Big up the old, to get on with the new. LOL.

It's also rather poor show to talk something down when someone is trying to sell it. I know on other forums in the classified threads- you're not even allowed to comment unless you're directly involved in the sale somehow (AV Forums are strict on this).

I do love the open nature of things on here and in many ways it's the lifeblood of our hobby but sometimes you just wish you could post something without half a dozen people commenting how crap your machine is and having their two penneth!

It's also rather poor show to talk something down when someone is trying to sell it. I know on other forums in the classified threads- you're not even allowed to comment unless you're directly involved in the sale somehow (AV Forums are strict on this).

I do love the open nature of things on here and in many ways it's the lifeblood of our hobby but sometimes you just wish you could post something without half a dozen people commenting how crap your machine is and having their two penneth!

I totally agree. Although the expectation of your initial post certainly compelled me to comment.

I actually bought a LOTR on this very forum for £2750. I then sold it for the same amount. The guy that has it has promised to also do the same, so you may well see one pop up for the money that a STTNG will go for on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom