What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My RFM Cab Restoration

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Sharing a few pics of my latest project to re-decal and mod (the myPinballs way) my RFM cab. Being a big fan of RFM i've had quite a few of them over the years. Every time i have one though i like to do something a little different. This time i decided to change the legs and t-molding to bright green to match the alien colours. See below for some shots during the process. I think it really adds to the cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 55
Totally amazing. Great choice of colour. Man that machine is going to be the biz when done.
Please with an alien saucer in top, put me down first in line if you ever decide to part ways with her.

See you haven't even finished and you've already got a queue forming :)

uploading a few more now i've put the backbox back on. Interestingly my son pointed out something to me last night. The top and bottom artwork is a continuation, as in the laser beam from the top saucer is firing down to the bottom! Its probably just me but i never noticed that until now. Great detail by the art guys at williams!

Regarding the t-molding. I sourced from the USA. The colour is a perfect match for the alien green in the artwork and was originally used on galaxian cabs. The colour is 'bright green' or 'light green' when looking at t-molding colour lists. I can help people out locating it if you want to do the same :)

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 46
legs were powder coated using a sample of the t-molding to match to the nearest colour

I was undecided from the first batch of pictures whether the green was going to work out or not, but in the second batch where the machine is assembled, I can see it looking really nice. I'd love to see pics with the playfield in to see how it contrasts against the playfield artwork.

Looks like you have done some very nice work there :)

Nice work. Have to say I was amazed at the variety of colours they can powder coat in now. I went in asking for 'red' and was asked which shade of red did I want - they had about 10 different ones. Luckily I just needed boring old fire engine red.

Some more pics with more of the backbox hardware re-fitted

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29
Some more pics. this time of the hardware upgrades :) My favourite area!!

Look at all the space in the back box!!!! I sourced a very nice motherboard with onboard mSata and made a custom mounting plate out of aluminium so it sildes into the original top computer mount perfectly.

Also have upgraded the speaker system. Forgot to mention earlier that i enlarged the cabinet bass speaker hole to 8" for proper basss sounds!

Attachments

• IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1979.jpg
    IMG_1979.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 33
Would like to know where to get it from. Does it just stick on the sides or are there any special fitting requirements.

T moulding has a 'T' shaped profile (hence the name)

There is a narrow channel on the edge of the wood that the down bar of the T fits into and then the top bar is the visible bit.

Hope that makes sense.
wiki.arcadecontrols.com_w_images_thumb_6_67_T_molding.gif_200px_T_molding.gif

There used to be a T-moulding guy on ebay selling all sorts of it but I cant seem to find him now.

Great job on the cab. I cant remember the last time I saw an RFM look this nice.

Standard 8" Single Aluminium Cone

The cabinet hole was enlarged though as this makes the biggest difference for the bass, not the size of the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom