What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Life With An Ex-Arcade TAF

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
I have enjoyed playing pinball for as long as I can remember but back in my first job there was a pub nearby that had a TAF. We started off going for lunch but then it became after work and eventually I went back at the weekends. From that point, 12 years ago, I wanted a TAF and would check out prices every so often to see if I could afford one. One thing putting me off was the maintenance but also the space it would require. Last month a series of events triggered me buying an ex-arcade machine off someone who I have known for a quite a while but somehow never found out what his job was.

He has a lot of games that get moved about so recommended a Preston firm to move the machine from Hull to my house near Watford. It was agreed that it would arrive on Tuesday the 27th of March and I took a few days away from work, one to prepare the house, another to take delivery and set it up and a third to spend a day playing. Mid morning on the 27th I was told that the lorry was packed the wrong way round and my machine would not be delivered until the 28th, maybe the 29th. I quickly took the 29th off as well. Then on the 28th I was called to say that he hoped to be with me by 18:00 but it might be the 29th. Later that day I was told that the driver, lorry and table were heading back up north as his father had suffered a heart attack.

Delivery was re-arranged for the 2nd of April at 07:00, to be with me before work. So this post marks one week with the TAF.
smile-1.png
This is my first pinball table so I am learning as I go and this site has been very helpful in help and advice.

So one week ago the machine arrived and we man handle it up three steps to my front door, we then have measured the back box and already know it won't go into the kitchen and we can't see how we can sort that out so it gets left in the hall way. Whilst I go to work, the girlfriend was somehow not annoyed she couldn't use the downstairs toilet.

DSC01400-1.jpg

I remembered reading a post somewhere of someone who had removed their back box to get the table down some stairs so I decided to do that. I got home and got started but not before I took pictures of how many wires there were. I started removing all the clips but then realised that it was not going to be that simple due to wires that did not need to be disconnected were cable tied to those that did. If I cut those cable tires, I was going to end up with a mess of wires with not obvious plan of where they went.

My girlfriend came home at this point and asked why I don't leave the cables connected and just undo the bolts to the box and turn it slightly so it would slide through. I didn't want to do this on my own and so she helped. A few minutes later I had the machine in the kitchen and a back box with all the clips still disconnected. I used my pictures to re-home them though wasn't 100% sure on one.

I tentatively fired it up and there was no smoke but also no flippers. I turned it off, checked again and found a clip was not seated and then had both moving but the right one got stuck. OK, I can sort that out later, get the legs on. Not nearly as hard a job as I had expected, had a little help from a chair.

Now to see what the stuck flipper problem was. The bracket holding the coil had suffered from fatigue and broke.

DSC014171-1.jpg

One quick bodge with some washers and it was functioning so now to play some ball, just to see what else needed attention. OK, the GF got to play and I got to watch and check.

DSC01412-1.jpg

So it played but was much darker than I remembered, there were obvious bulbs not working so I started the next evening with checking and swapping them out. This fix a few but not all and a full maintenance day available until good Friday when the GF was going to work.

Fixes

Good Friday arrived and a new coil bracket was fitted first and the outside of the table cleaned a bit more. The right flipper feels weaker now but it is using a red coil, a orange one will be ordered.

I noticed that the thing flipper wasn't being activated, not sure it was even being triggered. I rechecked the wiring in the back box and the wiring diagram, and changed the white/blue wires from the extra flipper board (J901-1-2, pins 1&2) from J105 on the power driver board for J104 as it showed that was a breaker. Still not thing flip, so cleaned the sensor, still not thing flip but it did show me a broken wire to the opto board. Took that apart and soldered it back on and we had a thing flip.

Whilst refitting I checked the switch for the lower jet which didn't work, a little bending fixed it.

Then I took as much as I dared off the table to clean and replace the hard to reach bulbs and rubbers.

I expect to have to do this again at some point as I clearly didn't clean it enough as the rubbers are getting dirty but the old ones were perished in places.

The remaining non-working bulbs were, the yellow Thing bulb, the center left jet and a lot of the mansion bulbs. Starting with the mansion I noticed that they were fed from the same Yellow-green return. So either that wire was faulty or the pin on the pcb was.

DSC01529-1.jpg.

It is hard to see but the pin on the far right is the return and it appeared fine but there was a hidden crack. After a lot of checking I convinced myself to re-solder the joint and that fixed that problem.

That brought 8 mansion lights back into action which allows me to actually work out the game play.

Next I took off the Thing light plastic and checked the wires. This time it was a faulty diode in the red-violet feed wire. Easter Sunday had me visiting the parents so a quick rummage through the old mans spares found me what I needed. That was fitted last night.

This morning I tackled the center left jet bumper light. This always looked like the hardest of the fixes I had for the long weekend. Due to the staples on the solid metal strips, I carefully removed the bumper parts which has a crack in the screw hole and also found that the steel armature link on the coil speing (01-5492) was snapped when it flew off into my face. More parts for the list.

Carefully opening the screws, I un-soldered the wires and lifted the bulb holder and center plastic cap out to clearly see the bulb holder and wire had become separated. It had been repaired before but that had not survived. I cleaned up the old solder, slid in the metal strip to the bulb holder and reapplied some solder to hold it. That should do it for now. Re-assembly was a nightmare due to the broken armature link but I got it back together.

During all this I ran out of bulbs so have four non working #44 lamps but they will go on the next parts order.

DSC01515-1.jpg

DSC01516-1.jpg

DSC01517-1.jpg

DSC01518-1.jpg

DSC01520-1.jpg

DSC01521-1.jpg

DSC01522-1.jpg

Issues

The ball occasionally falls off the wire ramp return since I removed the plastic ramps. I keep adjusting it too much and it then falls off the other side.

FIXED: The dot matrix is missing the bottom line.

FIXED: There is a bulb under the center ramp at the top which is white and glares. Is the bulb wrong or should it have a coloured cover?

FIXED: Another bulb by the top left flipper is also rather bright.

FIXED: The yellow bulb from the electric chair flies off, falls in the hole and blocks the kick-out.

FIXED: The right flipper is weak since the rebuild of the base plate.

FIXED: The ball bounces all over the place since the rubber replacement.

Cracked paint on center power cloud.

Wear under return wire drop in on RHS.

FIXED: Turning the screws does not loosen the phone plastics to clean and replace the flasher lamp.

FIXED: Undoing the bolts for the electric chair do not release them so I can fit a cliffy to hide the wear and protect it.

Incorrect, broken or missing parts

Cloud topper.

FIXED: The plastic that holds the glass in place is broken.

FIXED: Missing ramp metal protector on center ramp.

FIXED: Oblong target before center ramp is shattered.

FIXED: Incorrect top right flipper.

FIXED: Book case stand is cracked, replacement is ready to go on.

FIXED: One of the front legs doesn't match, shame as it is the cleanest.

FIXED: Red coils for bottom flippers need to be replaced with orange ones.

FIXED: Sling shot plastics need replacing, Gomez is broken at both ends.

FIXED: Start/credit button is wrong.

FIXED: Lots of bulbs need refreshing.

FIXED: Blue jet cover is cracked.

FIXED: Yellow jet cover is cracked.

A tilt switch has been broken.

FIXED: Jet Pop Bumper Light wire broken

FIXED: Jet Pop Bumper metal armature link cracked

FIXED: G R E E D , E D lights intermittent

FIXED: EOS switched not wired up

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you spot anything else that is incorrect or missing. I have been looking at pictures but can't always see the everything covered.
smile-1.png

Nice post. Seems like you're going through the same cycle of events that I started with - just get hold of a machine cos I want to play... then start getting picky and wanting to fix everything. It's a great hobby!

I've done a similar thing as you and documented my pins as they've been fixed - have a look:

www.drpinball.co.uk

Most of the things you talk about above can be bought from Pinball Mania, Pinball Heaven or Ebay.

Good luck.

I have been reading your site DrPinball, it is a great collection of before and afters with walk through of fixes.
smile-1.png

The bulb under the ramp that is too bright is a #44, try putting a #47 in (they are a wee bit dimmer).

The bulb under the left hand plastic (near the Thing Flipper) should be a #555. If it is too bright after you change it then it may need re-positioning slightly (carefully so that you don't damage the plastic).

The yellow bulb that keeps falling out of the chair will need the bulb holder tweaking. Look at one of the black bulb holders with a bulb removed. You can see the brass contacts. With a small screwdriver, carefully bend the contacts so that they are closer together. When you get a feel for it, do the same with the bulb holder on the chair (TURN THE POWER OFF FIRST).

The flipper that you repaired that is now tight will probably be binding somewhere. First of all the flipper bat should have a little up and down play. You should be able to pull the flipper bat up about 2-3 mm away from the playfield. You can also check the bracket that holds the coil in. Slacken the two screws that hold the bracket in place. Move the flipper backwards and forwards with your hand while gently tightening the screws back up.

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, I will give those suggestions a try. I am ordering some bulbs too but it looks like there should be a coloured cover or something.

The phone flasher and light have now been sorted too, it is now getting very bright. :cool:

I am not aware that the bulb under the ramp should have a coloured sleeve. Neither of the two Addams I have owned have had them. You could always put one on if you think it is too bright.

Andrew.

It looks like you are missing the left hand ramp protector (behind the broken blue target). There is a hole in the ramp where it screws in (like the right hand side). Try to get a replacement before you smash the ramp.

I would also look at getting new swamp targets. Your top one is bent backwards which can cause a lot of air balls (great for breaking plastics !). You can bend it back but it will eventually bend again.

Andrew.

Fixing them up is the wrong way to go about pins - I did that and got hooked-soon to be on 15 pins - eeek:eek:

I would recommend anyone who has bought a "keeper" pin (thats normal keeper pin not Will Barber two week keeper:)),to do a full flipper rebuild including the flipper bushing.Fair guess that most non mint TAF's will be well worn.Not that expensive to do on a Bally Williams.

A few Cliffys may help your pin too.

Either way you'll love playing it - enjoy

Calimori,

Please post more like this - i have to say that i just loved the way that was written
biggrin-1.png

Really interesting and informative - thanks
smile-1.png

Paul

I didn't want to over burden the page with pictures but always like a good before and after shot. Years ago I learnt to photograph things before I took them apart so I had some guide when I tried to put them back together.
smile-1.png

The swamp targets will be going on the parts list. A full flipper rebuild kit and two new orange coils are on there too. Oddly the top right flipper has an orange coil whilst the bottom two have red so I could have swapped them over. That flipper appears to be working well so is there a good reason I should swap it for a red coil?

I bought the chair Cliffy but am thinking of a the complete set, it has taken some beaten in places and they will smarten up the look as well as protect the paint. Is there a uk supplier who sells them all? I am looking at Passionforpinball in the states.

Calimori,

The jury is out - i think the general consensus with regards to hole protectors is that if there is damage then stick a cliffys on, if not stick an alternative protector that sits inside the hole. The reason is that the cliffys can under some circumstances mark the PF under themselves because of the edges. I think the newer "microthin ones" are better as they sit flat(ish), however some still dont like because they dont allow the ball to run perfectly true. Horses for courses really.

However i'm happy to say your exploits have spured me on to start working on mine again. Just need to build a PF rotisserie unless someone has one that i can borrow for a few months.....

Paul

Regarding the weak flipper issue, make sure you change the flipper bushings like poibug suggested (the plastic piece the flipper shaft inserts into through the playfield - generally not supplied with flipper rebuild kits) Then when re-installing the flipper shafts themselves, place a credit card between the base of the flipper bat and the new flipper bushing when you tighten the shaft nut. This will make sure your flipper shaft doesnt cause drag (a common mistake on newly rebuilt flippers) on the base of the new bushing as you use the flippers.

My view of cliffy protectors on games that are already worn is they will only make it worse by pushing the metal protector into the already damaged area, creating further damage. They also mess with ball flow on some games. Cliffy ramp protectors however, are very good.

I think the red coils are medium strength, orange weakest, and blue strongest. The colours represent their voltage/power level.

I did check on several sites and thought it went yellow, red, orange blue with blue the strongest...:confused:

Ah missed the green one. Luckily I don't have a need for one at the moment.
smile-1.png

I am hearing the pro's and con's for cliffy's. Personally I am happy to see the wear on the machine at the moment as long as it doesn't get worse but if it does I will protect them. Ramp protectors do need to be bought as there is a missing bit of plastic.
sad-1.png
As time passes and I sort out more imperfections, I will get more fussy and get back around to the PF wear no doubt.

A PF rotisserie, now there is something I could do with. I was contemplating getting into the bottom of the cab to so some soldering for the jet bumper but was worried I wouldn't be able to get back out.
wink-1.png

It is not perfect but I don't think it is that bad, everything I looked at had some wear or damage and I didn't pay ebay prices so I am not unhappy. I was always going to miss things on my first table, with this one I have been able to play from the start and not be worried about trying to fix it. So perfect for a noob.

Dreads' date=' post: 1692456 said:
Jesus, that TAF is a bit of a dawg, hope you got it pretty cheap dude.

Bit harsh Dreads, and not really what a new owner wants to hear :confused: Yes it has some issues ...but I have seen waaaaaaay worse examples. Hell ,you should see the TAF that Rav recently acquired and is rebuilding !

Clearly a lot of fun is already being had playing and working on the game - so the question of 'dawginess'
smile-1.png
is kind of irrelevant anyway.

It'll come good in the end I've always bought fixer upper pins as I enjoy bringing them back to life,if got it at a price that you wanted to pay the good on ya mate I'd love to get my hands on a fixer up Addams family
smile-1.png

If you want to see a real 'dawg' go to Brighton seafront, just below the pier, in an arcade. Wow, talk about a battered TAF!!!!!! It works - just, but I heard it howling a 100 yards away;)

Replay' date=' post: 1692550 said:
If you want to see a real 'dawg' go to Brighton seafront, just below the pier, in an arcade. Wow, talk about a battered TAF!!!!!! It works - just, but I heard it howling a 100 yards away;)

LOL. I kind of know the operator of that poor old TAF. I was speaking to one of his lads at the Slam. I offered to give that TAF some urgent attention soon - its been left to rot for waaaaaaaay too long
sad-1.png

Id love one
sad-1.png
but always way too much money for me,hey grizz if they wanna move that game on I'd take it even prob trade. Pin to in its place, loved the one at the Slam v nice ,shame I started to choke on the smoke from dirty harry at one point hope my DH don't develope that fault whatever it was:(

Pudsey pinball' date=' post: 1692554 said:
Id love one
sad-1.png
but always way too much money for me,hey grizz if they wanna move that game on I'd take it even prob trade. Pin to in its place, loved the one at the Slam v nice ,shame I started to choke on the smoke from dirty harry at one point hope my DH don't develope that fault whatever it was:(

They are not selling it - I have asked
wink-1.png

That was my TAF at the Slam and my Harry ....the smoke was a transistor deciding it had had enough Slam action for one year - that or a stray slug from Harrys magnum took it out
biggrin-1.png

In an ironic way, Dirty Harry smoking in a public building is sort of his style. Pleased that Andy from Pinball Mania was on hand to help diagnose the issue so it wasn't out of action for long. Your TAF was also a lovely example, it showed me I need to do a lot of work on mine. A good point was being able to see how a good one plays and that has made me very happy with how mine plays. More fixes and updates on mine shortly, I have been rebuilding flippers and swapping out targets.

Can we break in and liberate this sad old TAF at Brighton? Poor thing would be much happier with one of us.
sad-1.png

Knackered TAF's must be a seaside thing...Skegness Pier arcade has a particularly ropey example as well. It takes 10 goes every time it tries to eject a ball into the shooter lane
smile-1.png

Think your right there! I've visited abt 3 bowlplex places in the last few months and they too seem to take great pleasure in opperating a pin within an inch of its life
sad-1.png
one was a stern pirates of Caribbean, a getaway and t3 offered to try ad rescue them but was told to buzz off:~

GrizZ' date=' post: 1692548 said:
Bit harsh Dreads, and not really what a new owner wants to hear :confused: Yes it has some issues ...but I have seen waaaaaaay worse examples. Hell ,you should see the TAF that Rav recently acquired and is rebuilding !

Clearly a lot of fun is already being had playing and working on the game - so the question of 'dawginess'
smile-1.png
is kind of irrelevant anyway.

C'mon, I did say bit of a dawg not a total shed, just spoke my mind, no point sugar coating it as that would imply to all noobs that a machine in that condition is what they can expect when they purchase, the new owner is obviously restoring it and bringing it back to life but it was a bit of a dawg to start with
biggrin-1.png

Back
Top Bottom