What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first pinball machines, more of a project than I thought!

dudeyds

Registered
Hi everyone,

Been lurking at the for sale section for some time, but I finally managed to get two machines in a big lot, had to drive a luton van all the way to aberdeen to collect! great fun.

I was told these machines had little work to do on them, they're turning into more of a project than I first thought.

I have two machines, a EM Gottlieb solar ride, and a Gottlieb operation thunder.

The solar ride isn't booting curently, and the speaker is just letting out a single tone, it was working before transport so I'm going to look at all the edge connectors, and have some tools and cleaners coming from the pinball resource (they have a $200 minimum order at the minute, I'm just on the edge!). I've seen all the ground mods etc. to keep it in good condition, so I'll be going through them too.

The operation Thunder is booting alright, but has quite a large amount of issues.

I've already taken apart one of the flippers, which seems to have been cleaned using wd-40, making it completely stuck. That's working great now. It was missing half of its fuses too, used the manual to find the correct ones and replaced where appropriate.

aside from that, there's a few other issues I'm working on currently:

Some of the drop targets don't register a hit, I think it's best I take the entire assembly out and take a look at the switches
The spinning disk doesn't seem to do anything, I checked the relay in the test menu, nothing.
The left upkicker is really weak, I guess a replacement solenoid is in order?
One of the active bumpers isn't sensing a hit, tried bridging the sensor wires and nothing, next step is to check the main boards I suppose?
The upper right flipper isn't responding at all, more testing to do there.

Also one of the strangest modifications I've ever seen, the previous owner decided not to fix the right upkicker and blocked the hole with a pool ball cut in half!

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_193554.jpg
    IMG_20211002_193554.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom