What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

multimeter recommendation please

cooldan

i like pizza
hi all. i have a POC multimeter and want to get a better one.

i tried measuring something today that i was told would be around 4 ohms, but my meter has resistance settings that say 2K, 20K, 200K, 2000K - so surely even the lowest setting should be expecting 2000 ohms, right? anyway, i attached it, and i was reading 0.16 but had no idea if this meant 0.16 ohms or 1.6 ohms, or 16 ohms or 160 ohms or what. why can't it just tell me the result instead of i need to choose the dial first? so i suppose i need an autoranging one, right?

i know that these things can be as cheap as a fiver, or as expensive as a monkey. i want one that is autoranging, that has a continuity beep, that has leads that are longer than 30cm long, that i can use to measure volts and resistance and occasionally current. also to be able to test diodes and transistors, so that if at some point in the future i am able to do so i don't want to have to upgrade.

thanks people

semizebra.jpg

cheers Paul for that. the user reviews are all positive, so unless someone chimes in with a good reason not to (or one that's as good but cheaper? i don't really care about temperature or frequency tbh) , i'll probably follow your lead and get this one too.

cheaper ones in Maplin tho one there has autoranging too which i prefer

and the one in the link has a temp probe so ya can see what the temp is in your hut:whoo:

When it comes to whats the best Mulitmeter there is only one.
Fluke.

Tenma 72-7765 - less than £15 from Farnell (seen them on eBay). Autoranging and continuity test, diode test, etc. Works perfectly for pinball diagnostics.

Fluke meters are by far the best, although expensive if you are just using it for repairing pins. I use a Fluke at work.

Whichever one you buy, make sure it has an auto-shutdown feature so that it will switch itself off after not being used for a while. The number of times I put my meter down and forget to turn it off!

Autoranging is handy, a continuity bleeper a must!

Tenma 72-7765 - less than £15 from Farnell (seen them on eBay). Autoranging and continuity test, diode test, etc. Works perfectly for pinball diagnostics.

You bloody cheap skate Martin.
I would have expected better from you.

Back
Top Bottom