What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr & Mrs pacman display insert advice?

Martin.D

Registered
Alias
No-Clu
Continuing my slow repairs and adjustmetns to mr & mrs pacman.
Noticed display insert below maze not level. Making ball roll along edges.
Suggestions to level this display? Hoping I can just heat up glue on display and move it back into place but seeing I have not done this before asking for advice

Hi, post some pics and a little film? I have a pacman and don't have this issue, so best to establish first why it protrudes, maybe that the playfield is warped, or cab not sitting square? Might be a case of straighten and it will sit right?

JB

My screen was held on with 4 screws.
Between the screen and the playfield is a rubber/foam seal. Compressing the seal allows you to level the screen.

I suspect your rubber/foam seal has perished. This can be replaced with rubber/foam draft excluding strip like used on doors and windows.

Reactions: DRD
Not sure if I should have posted this Technical Questions but thanks for help.
2 pictures showing screen about 1.5mm below playfield. Enough that ball will roll along display, which is both annoying and helpful not to drain ball.
Should display lift out with out need for heat?

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

No such thing as a bad question

Removing the 6 screws on your plastic screen will just allow the plastic to be removed. The actual display is secured on the underside of the playfield.
It also looks like this has been tweaked before as those screws are hex heads and stand proud of the plastic.

Remove the screws
Remove the plastic
Clean off any old foam and glue from the playfield recess
Replace foam with something similar but with more squish
Replace plastic and make sure it can be pushed 'gently' down to playfield level
Replace screws with some with a slightly smaller head that sit flush with plastic

Don't over tighten the screws and dont use a foam that so stiff it makes the plastic bend.

No such thing as a bad question

Removing the 6 screws on your plastic screen will just allow the plastic to be removed. The actual display is secured on the underside of the playfield.
It also looks like this has been tweaked before as those screws are hex heads and stand proud of the plastic.

Remove the screws
Remove the plastic
Clean off any old foam and glue from the playfield recess
Replace foam with something similar but with more squish
Replace plastic and make sure it can be pushed 'gently' down to playfield level
Replace screws with some with a slightly smaller head that sit flush with plastic

Don't over tighten the screws and dont use a foam that so stiff it makes the plastic bend.

Thanks for advice. Should be able to source foam and better screws.

Having removed screws, display not coming out. Assume glued as well?
Normally to get inserts out heat gun or hair dryer. Any suggestions beyond these for removing display plastic?

Thanks for advice. Should be able to source foam and better screws.

Having removed screws, display not coming out. Assume glued as well?
Normally to get inserts out heat gun or hair dryer. Any suggestions beyond these for removing display plastic?
I suspect that the display has stuck to whatever was left of the original seal. On mine is was like double sided tale left.
Bent paper-clip hooked into one of the corner screw holes, lift with gentle pressure and hopefully it comes out clean.
I can't imagine and hope that someone has not glued the screen in along with screws.

Other option is to access from underside of playfield.

Seems display is glued in, having remove score board and accessed from underside of playfield.
The horror sounding combination of air dryer & hammer seems to have made an improvement I think.

View attachment 161113
I thought about clear coating it etc, but i think i am going to go for playfield cover this time - if you did the same the dispaly would not be an issue... Let me know if you do want to order, i can hold fire, order two and probably save on postage?

I thought about clear coating it etc, but i think i am going to go for playfield cover this time - if you did the same the dispaly would not be an issue... Let me know if you do want to order, i can hold fire, order two and probably save on postage?

Thanks for the offer, but going a different way on this point.
I did consider full cover but my playfield ok apart from area around display.
Planning to cover area with sheet of SUPER CLEAR PETG 0.50mm cover with new printed artwork for Mr & Mrs Pacman plus ghost.

Update on new Ghost decal stickers delivered this morning. Simple white sticker with red ghost, so easy fix warn drop target problem.
BTW the colour codes you have ok for any DIY place that mix paints. Picked up some sample cans this morning. Little worried that my cabinet paint has faded a little from original colours, but will try and see.

Back
Top Bottom