What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metallica Super Skill shot (issue?)+flipper allignment queston

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Hi all, hope everyone's had a good week (TFI Friday!...)
Can any other Metallica owners confirm?
Up until yesterday, if I held the left flipper when plunging, around 8 times out of 10 the ball would roll around and down the left orbit, hit the left flipper and bounce in to the Mystery scoop to collect the Super Skill Shot (was super handy when I had an extra ball or CIU ready).
Yesterday I cleaned and waxed the pf and the ball now travels a bit faster. If I do a full plunge, moat of time the ball either comes down the left orbit, grazes the left flipper and drains for a ball save, or bounces short of the scoop.
I think once, I managed to plunge a bit softer and get the scoop, but have found it difficult to replicate. It does make me think that this is how it should be, as takes a but more skill and is more rewarding when achieved, but is this normal? (think I also shifted my cab over slightly, so need to re/centre/level).
On a semi-related note, when the ball rolled up the left orbit too soft and rolls back down, it'll never cleanly land back for a left flipper deadflip, more often than not it'll roll off and drain - not a huge issue for me, but is this normal?

Flipper alignment

How does everyone else have their flippers aligned in relation to the pf holes in the centre between the flippers? The tips of the flippers lined up with these or?
I ask, as I'm finding the mystery scoop shot from the left flipper really frustrating and tough to dial in- lots of drains following missed shots due to hitting slings in bouncing in to outline etc; should I be able hit that shot by shooting when the ball is at the tip of the left flipper? (shot is almost impossible to hit without stopping the ball first, due to small hop from return lane guide to left flipper which I haven't been able able fully eradicate as yet)

Thanks for any help👍🏻 - thought I'd ask here ,as may also help others.

The skill shot isn’t suppsoed to be just bounce of the flipper you are supposed to use skill by flipping the ball into the scoop.

I wasn't sure if the machine was designed to be able to hit the S skill shot that way (bit of a cheeky deasflip "shot" like on some other games) - I've heard it referred to on 1 or 2 tutorial vids and on pinside, so assumed it was designed that way.
Would make more sense if skill was actually involved though and more satisfying.
On a full plunge the ball also has a tendancy to brush off the left sling after coming down the left orbit, so can get a clean hit like on say the similar shot on AFM.
Doesn't ruin my experience of the game though, as I still bloody love it😃 - enough to want upgrade to a premium one day, which prob sounds silly to some 😋

That’s very unlikely to be by design as it then isn’t a ‘skill shot’, mine certainly sends the ball that way but not into the scoop.
As for a soft left orbit shot coming back down and draining - surely is should hit the two in lanes or the top of the slingshot? Where is it draining? As long as a fast or clean orbit shot flows well that’s all I’d worry about - with a ‘soft’ shot it’s hard for designers to accommodate players expectations on where these should land.
That left orbit guide is slightly adjustable, loosen the screw at the end to adjust.
E5C62664-D646-482A-AC8B-CD2B12850BB8.jpeg

I saw it in tutorial vids, tried it on my game and it worked. The three other games I’ve played did it too.

Maybe you have non-stock rubbers on yours Neil which could influence the bounce?

Of course the real super skill shot is to hit a lane for an easy lane insert completion but it is good to have this in the armoury too.

Of course the real super skill shot is to hit a lane for an easy lane insert completion but it is good to have this in the armoury too.
Need to try this right now - didn’t know you could do that. That’ll also make progression towards CIU easier too 👍
I’m off to Seek & Destroy 🤟🏼🤟🏼

From memory you hit it with the super skill shot which lights all inserts then hit that lane again to collect.

It’s been a while since I played it though.

Ah it picks a ramp or orbit at random, if you then skill shot it the captive ball hurry up starts to lock in the 3 inserts 👍

Never thought you could hit the scoop from the plunge by just holding the left flipper and letting it bounce.
I’ve always hit the ball as it comes down, usually the right ramp or snake or something.
Will try it later..
Not sure if it’s a code issue but sometimes I notice extra ball gets lit, but then I end up in the scoop it doesn’t always collect. It registers the ball as it kicks back out of the scoop but doesn’t award the extra ball ???

Yeah mine does have alternative rubbers in - but still pretty sure this is not by design. ghostbusters used to do it also.

Never thought you could hit the scoop from the plunge by just holding the left flipper and letting it bounce.
I’ve always hit the ball as it comes down, usually the right ramp or snake or something.
Will try it later..
Not sure if it’s a code issue but sometimes I notice extra ball gets lit, but then I end up in the scoop it doesn’t always collect. It registers the ball as it kicks back out of the scoop but doesn’t award the extra ball ???
I had this. I had to adjust the microswitch in the scoop to fox.

Thanks for all your comments guys; looks like it's nothing to worry about - was kind of nice whilst the bounce to Mystery was happening, but as a said before, more satisfying now that it actually takes a bit of skill:)

Back
Top Bottom