What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metallica - shooter problem

Howzer

Site Supporter
Alias
Simon
Good afternoon. I wonder if anybody can help. I took delivery of a lovely Metallica a few days ago but am having problems with manual plunge. The attached video shows the problem (The file was too large for a SLO motion!) Strangely it’s ok on auto and it’s ok with a “light plunge” but this doesn’t always even get to the top. I have very limited ability to fix things but I have cleaned the plunger and springs, washers etc also the shooter lane but sadly still the same. So frustrating. Hope someone has a suggestion and thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_4314.MOV
    15 MB
Hello,

The clip seems to show the ball rattling sideways to a large extent, losing its momentum. Is the set-up one of the dual systems, with a 'normal' plunger and a kicking 'U' shaped gate/rest for the automatic launch? The automatic may be alright if it doesn't impart sideways motion. I wonder if the manual plunger is misplaced, and not striking the ball centrally. I.e. with the ball served out and resting on the gate, the plunger tip should contact the ball as centrally as possible, to reduce the chance of sending it off at an angle. There should be some allowance for adjusting the plunger, by moving the entire housing relative to the cabinet. There is a sleeve fitted to the plunger, I take it?

Hello,

The clip seems to show the ball rattling sideways to a large extent, losing its momentum. Is the set-up one of the dual systems, with a 'normal' plunger and a kicking 'U' shaped gate/rest for the automatic launch? The automatic may be alright if it doesn't impart sideways motion. I wonder if the manual plunger is misplaced, and not striking the ball centrally. I.e. with the ball served out and resting on the gate, the plunger tip should contact the ball as centrally as possible, to reduce the chance of sending it off at an angle. There should be some allowance for adjusting the plunger, by moving the entire housing relative to the cabinet. There is a sleeve fitted to the plunger, I take it?
Thanks Jay. Yes it is a dual system for sure and yes there is a sleeve fitted. Will try to adjust by moving the housing if I can 👍🏼

What is this bit here??

Attachments

• 36A199DF-D749-423A-A7F4-58F980239B14.jpeg
    36A199DF-D749-423A-A7F4-58F980239B14.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 30
I’ve seen this before.
Almost certain your playfield is not aligned properly.
Have you lifted it recently?
When you drop it in the slots when lowering it, push it slightly to the right.
I got an issue when I put mirror blades on once and it caused an issue such as this also.

I’ve seen this before.
Almost certain your playfield is not aligned properly.
Have you lifted it recently?
When you drop it in the slots when lowering it, push it slightly to the right.
I got an issue when I put mirror blades on once and it caused an issue such as this also.
Thank you. I’ll try this. A good tip anyway, and yes I have had the playfield lifted a lot today. Cheers

So you back in business
Thanks for enquiring. Sadly no. I have now got to the stage when 9 out of 10 auto plunges are good but any full manual does not work. A soft manual does. I have cleaned parts, and tried to shift the playfield etc. I thought about a shooter lane protector which might “change the dynamics” a bit. will try a few more things, inc perhaps a new shooter rod. Frustrating! But I’ll get there 😃

If you watch your video in slow motion the ball is actually being launched into the air!! It’s bouncing off the clear post with the black rubber on it.
The playfield must be sitting wrong or that shooter rod is very low to launch the ball like that mate.

Or it’s launching itself off the metal kick out protector that’s been installed - I’d take that off & enjoy the game. The more I look at it the more I’m convinced that’s the issue, looks like it’s too far into the ball path.

Edit….. watched the video 20 times in slow mo, the ball launches into the air instantly, it’s hitting the corner of the kick out protector, very easy to remove so try that mate.

Attachments

• D67AAA64-DE6B-450A-A031-5FF7C0844B80.png
    D67AAA64-DE6B-450A-A031-5FF7C0844B80.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
If you watch your video in slow motion the ball is actually being launched into the air!! It’s bouncing off the clear post with the black rubber on it.
The playfield must be sitting wrong or that shooter rod is very low to launch the ball like that mate.

Or it’s launching itself off the metal kick out protector that’s been installed - I’d take that off & enjoy the game. The more I look at it the more I’m convinced that’s the issue, looks like it’s too far into the ball path.

Edit….. watched the video 20 times in slow mo, the ball launches into the air instantly, it’s hitting the corner of the kick out protector, very easy to remove so try that mate.
That’s great thanks. I am away until Friday so cannot wait to try your suggestion on Friday. You say i’s easy to remove the kick out protector - well I’ll have a go. Hopefully it is even for me 😃 So appreciative of all your help- it’s really reassuring. Also I will buy a new shooter rod as well just in case that’s the issue but I will try your suggestion first. The more I look at the videos I have on my phone, the more it seems to be launched into the air from a manual plunge 👍🏼

A

Andy

Just so I am totally clear, the kick out protector is the metal “teeth” looking object on the left hand side as we look down on the shooter lane

Did previous owner have issues such as this?
Check the engagement slots on the lockdown bar, sounds daft but ensure the playfield is definitely fully home in the slots.
I’ve had this issue twice:
1. I added mirror blades to a pin and they sat over the playfield guides causing missalignment. I had to remove the playfield guides and this sorted the issue as it allowed my blades to sit flush against cab.
2. On another pin I changed shooter rods and housings from Stern to Bally. I lowered the playfield and got manual plunger issues. I fixed quickly by ensuring the playfield was banked more in one direction when in the slots.

It may look like something crazy is going on but autoplunge is way more forginving on misaligned playfield as it hits the ball from both sides..
Manual plunge is like hitting a cue ball with a pool cue. If not centre it’s gonna go a different direction.

Good spot mate:thumbs: - I've thought about installing one of those shooter lane/kick-out protectors in my shooter lane, but have help off for now; does anyone here think they are worth installing?

Good spot mate:thumbs: - I've thought about installing one of those shooter lane/kick-out protectors in my shooter lane, but have help off for now; does anyone here think they are worth installing?
I think they’re pointless, you’ve seen mine & it’s had thousands of games on it, obviously the shooter lane will show signs of wear over time but doesn’t make a pin any less desirable or playable for me.

Did previous owner have issues such as this?
Check the engagement slots on the lockdown bar, sounds daft but ensure the playfield is definitely fully home in the slots.
I’ve had this issue twice:
1. I added mirror blades to a pin and they sat over the playfield guides causing missalignment. I had to remove the playfield guides and this sorted the issue as it allowed my blades to sit flush against cab.
2. On another pin I changed shooter rods and housings from Stern to Bally. I lowered the playfield and got manual plunger issues. I fixed quickly by ensuring the playfield was banked more in one direction when in the slots.

It may look like something crazy is going on but autoplunge is way more forginving on misaligned playfield as it hits the ball from both sides..
Manual plunge is like hitting a cue ball with a pool cue. If not centre it’s gonna go a different direction.
Really helpful. Appreciate it. I have a few things to have a look at when back home 👍🏼

Really helpful. Appreciate it. I have a few things to have a look at when back home 👍🏼
Re Sako’s question Re seller. When I contacted the seller he did advise that it did happen occasionally but “not as often as I am saying”. Makes me feel quite disappointed as it was not highlighted to me but bottom line is I do not want a refund or anything like that as I think it is fixable and the rest of the game is lovely. I’m learning new things and tips all the time which are always helpful. Also I know it’s ”buyer beware” and it was bought from a friend of a forum member so the due diligence was down to me!

Re Sako’s question Re seller. When I contacted the seller he did advise that it did happen occasionally but “not as often as I am saying”. Makes me feel quite disappointed as it was not highlighted to me but bottom line is I do not want a refund or anything like that as I think it is fixable and the rest of the game is lovely. I’m learning new things and tips all the time which are always helpful. Also I know it’s ”buyer beware” and it was bought from a friend of a forum member so the due diligence was down to me!
Defo remove the shooter lane protector as Andy suggests and see if that fixes the issue. My prediction is that the protector is stopping the playfield from locking down a hair higher that it should resulting in the plunger hitting the ball way too low rather than the center as it should.
As a side note, I was thinking of creating a Metallica owners thread (unless there is one already - haven't seen it), as would be good to see everyone's Grans Champion and Crank it up high scores etc - I'm way off hitting mega scores, but would be good fun to be able to compare!

Defo remove the shooter lane protector as Andy suggests and see if that fixes the issue. My prediction is that the protector is stopping the playfield from locking down a hair higher that it should resulting in the plunger hitting the ball way too low rather than the center as it should.
As a side note, I was thinking of creating a Metallica owners thread (unless there is one already - haven't seen it), as would be good to see everyone's Grans Champion and Crank it up high scores etc - I'm way off hitting mega scores, but would be good fun to be able to compare!
The protector wouldn’t stop the playfield sitting in the right position?
The balls is hitting the protector - it probably hasn’t been installed properly.

Thank you. Cannot wait to get back to try to implement one or more suggestions. I’d happily support a Metallica thread - but not sure my high scores would register. Main challenge for now is to get my balls launched 😂😂

Thank you. Cannot wait to get back to try to implement one or more suggestions. I’d happily support a Metallica thread - but not sure my high scores would register. Main challenge for now is to get my balls launched 😂😂
"Main challenge for now is to get my balls launched 😂😂" - story of my life mate...... ;)

Back
Top Bottom