What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercifull's Jurassic Park Pinball Adventure... (new episode 21/10/18)

Mercifull

Registered
Alias
Matt Sims

Episode 1: Replacing backbox LEDs
Episode 2: Tour of the machine
Episode 3: Unboxing PinSound
Episode 4: Back to the Future at Special When Lit
Episode 5: Installing Roman's/PDI glass

I'm considering doing a, probably very small but certainly very sporadic, YouTube series of me fixing up, restoring and modifying my JP. I did a quick selfie-cam video here but I've now made this little trailer animation above. Am I wasting my time? What would make this sort of thing entertaining as well as educating? Comments on the video above as well as I'll be using it in the videos that I make. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback. I'll probably as a tester just do a quick video of changing the backbox LEDs tonight. It's a simple job and seeing behind the glass might be interesting for people without a machine of their own.

Episode 1

Certain highlights the importance of a) having a good quality lapel microphone instead of relying on the one built into the phone. and b) needing to fix that dreaded "Data East hum"!!! haha

Hi. Please keep these coming. As a noob preparing to make the plunge these are like gold dust. Plus I do love JP.
Subscribed.

Thanks for the nice comments. I've very new to pinball (this is my first machine) and it's been a steep learning curve.

Some of the mods and fixes (including replacing all the under-playfield LEDs with superbright Noflix Plus LEDs) I've already done so I'm not able to do a before and after type video but I might do a fairly quick "tour" of my machine.

Planned videos in the series include (in no particular order):
  • Installing and setting up a coin mech
  • Replacing pop bumper LEDs for bright "rings"
  • Filling and restoring damage to playfield "holes" and scoops
  • Upgrading to a ColorDMD
  • Cleaning corrosion and rust from lamp sockets
What else would people find interesting or entertaining though? I'm certainly no expert pinball engineer like some others on this forum.

Episode 2

Since filming this, T-rex has started playing silly buggers not picking up the ball. I'll check it out properly when the weather has cooled a little more as its too hot right now.

Nice one @Mercifull - just watching the first video tho, bulbs should really always be changed with the power off.... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the comments. :)

I turn off power to change the playfield bulbs but for the purpose of the video it would have looked a bit naff had I had it switched off when doing the backbox ones.

Editing just a hobby for me and it’s a good way of improving my skills. Hopefully, my videos get better each time I do one. Audio quality is definitely improving.

My next video is likely to be installing the PinSound but I'm not sure how I'll make it an engaging video because for much of it I'll probably be stood in the way of any decent camera view. I'll see what I can pull together. I might be able to do a time lapse with a bit of commentary. There's already an installation video by Romain Fontaine (The Mafia creator) on YouTube but it doesn't include new speaker installation or the headphone station so maybe i should focus on that.

Last edited:
New video...

In today’s edition of Mercifull’s Pinball Adventure, I travel to visit a particular special pinball machine set up at Special When Lit pinball club in Salisbury.

Salisbury isn’t too far from where I live and with all the machines set to freeplay, and a guarantee of no Novichok, I couldn’t resist going down. I also managed to grab a couple of minutes with Peter Blakemore (aka Moonraker), who not only runs SWL, but is also the current European Pinball Classics Champion!

(Please excuse the wind buffeting during the intro/outro, soz. Also forgot to use lapel mic when speaking to Peter, whoops)

That's a great little video. I've seen machines with pdi glass in but I've never seen it side by side with regular glass, that really highlights how good it is.

That's a great little video. I've seen machines with pdi glass in but I've never seen it side by side with regular glass, that really highlights how good it is.
Easily scuffed though, I've already caught it on my ring i think. Whoops. Thankfully its towards the edge and not that noticable.

Been a long time since my last video, but here's a fresh one for anyone interested

Congratulations on the new baby! Wave good-bye to lie-ins ;)

That glass is superb stuff, my second favourite upgrade behind a ColorDMD, and closely followed by an LED OCD.

What video editor are you using?

ColorDMD is my next planned upgrade (when I can save for it), you can probably tell in the video my existing dmd has a couple of lines out.

Edited in HitFilm Pro 11 (my licence ran out so i dont get the latest upgrades anymore) but I don't think I used any features in this video that used any of the Pro modules so this could just as easily have been edited in the HitFilm Express free version. www.fxhome.com

Back
Top Bottom