What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOTR

roadshow16

Site Supporter
Alias
CMP
I was just trawling back through some old messages from 2010 that Grizz started over on ukpinball about LOTR. He questioned whether anyone actually enjoyed playing the game and I thought it would be interesting to see what people think now?

In theory, I feel like I should feel a similar way about LOTR as I do about TZ. They are both relatively humorless pins that are deep players pins. However, I find TZ a chore, hence the reason I sold mine, and I find LOTR a joy. It feels like a slog at times, but to me its an enjoyable slog that encapsulates the theme perfectly. Saying that though, I don't think I particularly favour 1 theme over the other, i like them equally, i'm certainly not a huuuuuge LOTR fan.

I think what I love about LOTR, esspecially in the home environment, is the strive for perfection. Its not good enough to just start modes, you have to be methodical and bloody good, you have to tick everything off, completing it all, which as Stormy proved takes a long long time to get good at (5 years of ownership to reach Valinor). I was speaking to Franck Bona at the Slam and he said that he has actually managed 2 Valinor's in the same game, now that is impressive. I actually had the best game I have ever had today, I managed 347 million, 9 gifts of the elves, taba, destroyed the ring twice, completed TTT and RotK and managed to get 7 of the fellowship over on FotR before draining (jesus FotR is so damn hard to complete, i think i have managed it twice). That felt extremely close to Valinor, but i don't know how long it will be before i get that close again, soon i hope!

Anyway, just wondering what all your thoughts are of LOTR?

Cheers, Craig

Sounds like you are having a bigger chore with LOTR than what you might have had with TZ.

LOTR is way deeper than TZ but both are great games and cannot really be compared with each other.

D.

As I said on UKPinball ..... whatever I said
smile-1.png

Having only ever played LOTR and TZ at shows and league meets I don't have a huge preference for one over the other although it has shown me that you really need to own these pins to properly appreciate them. Based on my limited plays I'd say TZ just edges it for me....dunno why, just enjoyed it a little bit more than LOTR
smile-1.png
I'd be made up to own either though...both very cool pins!

LOTR is a masterpiece, whereas for me TZ is very simple - in reality, if you want to get to LITZ you can, you don't need to complete anything, just keep starting modes and hey presto. TZ has more toys but it a much simpler game, yes there are things to go for such as 99 hitch hikers, 99 robots, multiball jackpot with powerball, 8 dead ends and other things I've no doubt forgotten.

LOTR is a game where you just need to "get" it, I disliked mine for the first 3 or 4 weeks and was quite close to selling it, but then the penny dropped and I haven't looked back. The only issue I have with it is that it's not really a multi player game unless the other players are happy to stand around for 10-20 minutes whilst you get stuff done on it. Stick four good players on a LOTR and I imagine the game would last at least an hour and possibly two if all four are playing well

Tell me about it.

Note to self , Don't play Stormy at LOTR unless you want to wait around for ages.

Its good to watch but not to play a game with this guy.

A LOTR single game for me can be well over 30 minutes - Imagine a comp final with some of the top players - they'd still be there the following week.

Truly terrific game though. There's nothing like completing the modes/multiballs for the first time. Now I just need to do them all together!! :eek:

I recently come to realise that some pins are like crack. You may hate the sight of 'em, but you just cant-stop-PLAYYIIIING.....

Back
Top Bottom