What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOTR Path of the Dead mod

richk87

Registered
Hey so I recently bought that LOTR LE that was for sale here and I want to do the path of the dead mod to it.
I have managed to source the 4 figures needed. I just need the correct piece of plastic and fittings to mount on top of the playfield.
They sell them in the USA but just wondered if anyone has this mod that could trace the bit of plastic for me so I can send to Colywobbles to make?

Or if anyone knows of somewhere else to get this mod?

Thanks,

Rich

Yea I'm weighing up spending $190 from pinballbulbs.com or tracking down a piece of plastic. Pinbits in he USA has the mounting kit but they're sold out and awaiting a reply from them to my message.

I'm currently building one without the plastic.

I'm using the Comet matrix system to place one green strip light behind each cloak.

20200618_193517.jpg20200618_192820.jpg

Ah so you have a STTNG and LOTR? these are my only 2 pins too.

So yea can you explain a bit more how you're doing it? I really don't want to spend all that by having it shipped from the US

Ah so you have a STTNG and LOTR? these are my only 2 pins too.

So yea can you explain a bit more how you're doing it? I really don't want to spend all that by having it shipped from the US

This should help but I'm making it up as I go along.

I should probably point out that it looks white in the video but it's very green in real life.

Oh wow thanks for the video! Very professional. It does look great. Just what I'm after, a cheaper alternative!
Can I just ask, are you sacrificing a bulb to plug these in? Or multiple bulbs?

Also where are you going to mount them all without obstructing the playfield?

Also where are you going to mount them all without obstructing the playfield?

I'll do a more detailed video once I've fitted them but I'll probably just use a crocodile clip and splitter https://www.cometpinball.com/products/matrix-splitter-wires

As for the mounting I'm still experimenting but there's no reason that a subtle wire from the existing posts won't keep everything elevated enough for ball clearance.

I did much the same with my Enterprise on the STTNG which chucks out a nice bit of blue light and illuminates the playfield.

Nice choice of machines btw 😉

Not got around to it yet Rich, I had a long drive to pick up my new toy!!!

20200623_190717.jpg

It's on the list though.

Cannons, shuttle and Romulan ship (painted by the warcraft chap) & powder coating on the STTNG.

Potd and palantir on the LOTR.

Possibly an Eat at Eddie's on the AFM.

To be honest I'm just going to be playing a lot for the next few days. ..

I'll definitely post here when done. I just want to get the comet order right first time..

I just want to get the comet order right first time..
it's impossible! There is always >1 item you need which isn't in stock. That's why i've switched to just buying bulk bags of Sunlight White 2SMD's (Warm White for LOTR). Roughly 75% wedge, 25% bayonette. Plus a few Reds, Greens and Yellows (both type) for random 'above the playfield' inserts. Even then there's something you will have missed. Embrace it, or face the consequences. ******** to colour-matching inserts, time is too precious and i like seeing the colour of the plastic insert, not the LED beneath it.

Ha speaking of such... I just realised my order of green 2 SMD frosted bulbs are wedges when they need to be bayonets for LOTR... FML.
Don't suppose either of you have any green frosted wedges spare?

Ha speaking of such... I just realised my order of green 2 SMD frosted bulbs are wedges when they need to be bayonets for LOTR... FML.
Don't suppose either of you have any green frosted wedges spare?
so.... you've ordered wedges, but also want more wedges? I don't follow, but either way i only have 1 spare of each (1 frost green wedge and 1 frosted green bayonet), sorry.

Edit: found these (from my ‘crap LEDs removed from games but might be useful somewhere one day’ box).
499792AB-56F4-4116-BCA3-B0F2A86A5A5A.jpeg394BC64C-7C32-4640-8B43-D2EC0D0247E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha no I ordered green comet wedges when I needed green comet bayonets... 6 to be precise...

Hey Gonzo, think I'm gonna go with your way of doing it. How did you attach the figures to the wireforms?

Hey Gonzo, think I'm gonna go with your way of doing it. How did you attach the figures to the wireforms?

I've only attached one but I just used a stiff wire secured to the small posts. In all honesty I think it looks cleaner than mounting them on the sheet of plastic.

Back
Top Bottom