What's new

LOTR after a week...

Marcel

Site Supporter
So I purchased LOTR, hadn't a clue what the rules where but it was fast past, exciting and gave me an adrenaline rush. I spent 8 hrs solid on it and got top score (not grand champion) but all was great. I hadn't reset previous owners scores, I like to compare seen as I do not know if I'm good compared to others. In reality it doesn't matter.

Anyhow, the game is deep, so deep I googled the rules and how to complete it and even then it was complex. 24 hrs later I had been "There and Back Again" phenomenal!
Anyhow, I've since lost the rush and the madness of it all. Yes this is because I'm missing the ring shot but I'm only aiming for the ring to complete it under any circumstances instead of just enjoying what comes my way.
Perhaps now I know the rules, I should forget the main aim and take the game as it comes to me and go for the shots I feel at the time. But at the moment, playing for completion has lowered the enjoyment I had prior to knowing the rules, that is for sure! It used to be fast and crazy. Multiball after Multiball with play again and extra balls galore.

The thing is, those times will be back but only when I start making the key shots. Until then, I'm feeling like I ave taken a massive step back in ability and it is ****ing me right off!

Great game though and as my shots improve. I am sure to enjoy it once again.

I'm lucky enough to have a TOTAN on kind loan, and know for sure that playing and going with the flow is so much more fun than reading the rules and tips and then getting frustrated at not doing it the 'right' way. This is the joy I originally had when I first walked up to a pin and poured loads of coins in to work things out myself.

I love it all over again!

Vin

Ahh TOTAN, one of my all time wish list games. I now wish I'd not refused the £3,500 minty one.

Vin, I'm sure your right. I was buzzing for a while, aching hands and arms from it. Trouble is I now cannot forget the knowledge, it got me further than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ps The £3,500 TOTAN was several years ago. Bet they're more now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There and back again" is only the mini-wizard mode though right? LOTR is one of those games where getting to the final wizard mode (Valinor) is truly an epic achievement, and attempting it means you have to play each mode properly, to complete it and light a gift from the elves

I think LOTR is one of the best games of all time because of the depth and variety. And of course those callouts :)

I think Valinor is doable but it is a test of patience. I've come pretty close (got There And Back Again, all six Gift From The Elves and destroyed the Ring but it was the multiballs that let me down.
Play LOTR then Iron Man. It is like doing cross stitch then cage fighting. Completely different experiences. :D

Seven gifts from the elves :) This video is a good watch if you haven't seen it before:

I completely agree it's a different beast to Iron Man, though would probably say Valinor is harder just due to the number of things you need to achieve (and length of time you need to play). Iron Man is more about kicking you in the nuts at the end of each ball and then asking you to try again.

It's a journey, and why the game won't leave me unless I absolutely have to get rid of it. Far as I remember its.
  • Play all 7 modes (and win, Witch King being the hardest with those combo shots).
  • Play all 3 multiballs and win (I think winning is get the super jack on all 3).
  • Light and collect the 6 gifts of the Elves and get the secret 7th one.
  • Destroy the ring twice.
I don't think There and Back Again has to be finished but I could be wrong, that's your mini-wizard mode reward for just playing all 7 game modes, not finishing them.

Extremely difficult to do all that in a standard 3 ball game, even with generous outlanes, generous tilt and extra balls enabled just because of the sheer amount that needs to be done to get to Valinor.

Also that poor dude, the scream of anguish as he unlocks it and then fails to start it hahaha.

It is a good one to have for a small collection, for example I generally have 3 (4 at a push and the 4th is usually a loan in game). LOTR is the great long player game that If I want to have a long game on I can. T2 is nice and fast because the rules arn't deep and it's punishing. The 3rd game is the rotated one, which currently is Godzilla, but something like SM would be another ideal as its 'middle ground' - can be short or long.

This is the very reason i sold mine after a few short months. After the initial OOo's and AAa's wear off, you quickly realise that to get near where you want to be on a previous game requires a LOT of mode progression before you can get to that point again.

I also got to "there and back again" but never to Valinor and i remember my feet burning after how long i was stood at the machine just for that. Must have to get a stool for Valinor, haha.

Also owned TOTAN for a time, and its nothing compared to LOTR rule wise. Always felt like there's no real point to the game as the scoring is all over the place. (guess i'm a high score whore)

Having got to Valinor a few times before I sold mine - it's not as hard as some people have said above.

Complete all 3 multiballs
Start all 6 modes - and then start There and Back Again
Collect all 6 gifts from the Elves.
Destroy the Ring.

That's "all"

Gifts are lit by completing modes, completing MBs or via mystery award. As you have to complete all 3 MBs - there's 3 gifts lit straight away, for the other 3 you can either complete a MB again, or complete 3 modes, or get a mystery.

It definitely needs planning to reach Valinor, as once you have started all 3 MBs Destroy the ring is lit. So if you start the MBs but haven't achieved ALL of the other objectives you have to start all 3MBs again, and the same counts the next time around. As such you've got to focus on starting (and finishing at least 3) the modes, outside of MB.
I generally found the MB started from the lock rollovers the easiest (Two Towers?) and could often complete that on first attempt, so would deliberately not light the lock from the rollovers and concentrate on modes, or working towards the other MBs.

Valinor is definitely achievable, and is nowhere near the hardest wizard to get to. (Gauntlet on PotC and Keefers Invitational on WPT are significantly harder than even SDMEWM on TSPP. I've managed Encore on AcDc, Superhero on SM, Final Battle on Avatar, "Whatever it's called" on BDK, Portal on Tron,)

Having said all that LotR is still a great game - but once I'd got to Valinor a couple of times I fell out of love with it very quickly.

IMG_9900.JPG What setting would you guys suggest for the outlane posts? My LOTR is also currently set to a 4 ball game and I'm still struggling to complete There and Back Again.

ps I' missing the 2 outpost rubbers as can also be seen in the piccie, can I obtain just those 2 somewhere or will I have to buy a full set?

Bring that post all the way down to the last hole and increase game to 5 ball, but you may have to spend a few years in purgatory when you leave this world.:D

Having got to Valinor a few times before I sold mine - it's not as hard as some people have said above.

Complete all 3 multiballs
Start all 6 modes - and then start There and Back Again
Collect all 6 gifts from the Elves.
Destroy the Ring.

That's "all"

Gifts are lit by completing modes, completing MBs or via mystery award. As you have to complete all 3 MBs - there's 3 gifts lit straight away, for the other 3 you can either complete a MB again, or complete 3 modes, or get a mystery.

It definitely needs planning to reach Valinor, as once you have started all 3 MBs Destroy the ring is lit. So if you start the MBs but haven't achieved ALL of the other objectives you have to start all 3MBs again, and the same counts the next time around. As such you've got to focus on starting (and finishing at least 3) the modes, outside of MB.
I generally found the MB started from the lock rollovers the easiest (Two Towers?) and could often complete that on first attempt, so would deliberately not light the lock from the rollovers and concentrate on modes, or working towards the other MBs.

Valinor is definitely achievable, and is nowhere near the hardest wizard to get to. (Gauntlet on PotC and Keefers Invitational on WPT are significantly harder than even SDMEWM on TSPP. I've managed Encore on AcDc, Superhero on SM, Final Battle on Avatar, "Whatever it's called" on BDK, Portal on Tron,)

Having said all that LotR is still a great game - but once I'd got to Valinor a couple of times I fell out of love with it very quickly.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get to Valinor?

It's Gotham City on BDK.
I own/have owned all of those, only ever reached Portal on Tron and Final Battle on Avatar though. Also Open Season on BBH worth a mention for difficulty.
We need to start a toughest wizard mode to reach thread....

Last edited:
It's a great game. But its a 'Billy no mates ' machine. I had one here for 6 months, you can only play on your own as multiplayer games went on for so long.... we never bothered or abandoned them for more beer. TBH I actually couldn't be bothered with the epic slogginess of it after a while. I swear I could read the whole book quicker than some of the games felt :)

It's Gotham City on BDK.
I own/have owned all of those, only ever reached Portal on Tron and Final Battle on Avatar though. Also Open Season on BBH worth a mention for difficulty.
We need to start a toughest wizard mode to reach thread....
That's it, Gotham City -which turns into constantly shooting the ramp to light Lucius

Done Open Season as well, the 2 main sticking points are completing monster buck, as there's no memory if you get part way, followed by bird multiball, such a tight shot.

Iron Man, Do or Die MB is just impossible- having to complete each of the modes to get the inserts flashing requires a ridiculous number of hits on the stand ups to get the blue insert flashing..

View attachment 42639 What setting would you guys suggest for the outlane posts? My LOTR is also currently set to a 4 ball game and I'm still struggling to complete There and Back Again.

ps I' missing the 2 outpost rubbers as can also be seen in the piccie, can I obtain just those 2 somewhere or will I have to buy a full set?
I'd say that if you make the outlanes too easy, by closing them up and adding rubbers, it'll make the game ridiculously long if you're not hitting the required shots and spend most of the time bricking shots and trying to get back control.
The focus needs to be hitting the shots you require rather than just keeping the ball alive.

I'd say that if you make the outlanes too easy, by closing them up and adding rubbers, it'll make the game ridiculously long if you're not hitting the required shots and spend most of the time bricking shots and trying to get back control.
The focus needs to be hitting the shots you require rather than just keeping the ball alive.

Well I stole rubbers from elsewhere on the game and moved the posts but it hasn't made it ridiculously long.

Just shows how poor I am! Outlanes are still tough on me.
But yes your right, I need to improve my shots.

Back
Top Bottom