What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for help with DM handles

Hi Mike last set i had re chromed cost £70 per handle chroming is not cheap nowadays, i opted for a polished chrome which looked nice ,from memory i could of had a copper looking chrome and also nickel chrome (which was nearer to the origional ) all the same cost £140 the pair. I did look at powder coatings that were supposed to be chrome but nothing like the real thing.
cheers Mike
Keith

Would love to see a picture Keith. Is the chrome thin enough that you don't loose any detail? Do you have to prep & strip first?

I get rakes of jukebox and guitar parts re-chromed. Let them do the hard work.

Sadly now in the last 9 months the prices of the chrome and nickel have gone thru the roof.

Basically you have to Nickel plater before chrome plate.

Nickel is still silver but has a yellow tinge. I like it on guitar bits but not on pins !

Make sure you get them to put down in writing what they are taking off you as well. I had a chromer I used to use (and now do not) loose parts from a 1964 fender strat.

Once you have a good plater then keep them!

Another idea may be powder coating. Cheaper and more colour choice.

Had conversations with my two pals who run Sound Leisure, they said they are going to use less plating and more powder coating on the jukeboxes.

One thing to steer away from is sprayed on chrome! I had someone do me some test bits and it lasted 6 months. I do not mean the stuff in the can, proper pro end. It is okay unless you touch it.

Of course Mike, plenty of powder coaters vs chrome platers these days.

Sadly now in the last 9 months the prices of the chrome and nickel have gone thru the roof.
Indeed.,... it was rediculous beforehand and is now just obscene unfortunately!

I used a place over in Smethwick for a bunch of Nickel plating a good few years ago now (and they still exist)... I should give them a shout again... Problem is the bits that i want to get plated arent from a pin, and have a "monkey metal" base....
Failing that, there's a place in Weston Super Mud who come highly recommended, if a little expensive...

Hey Mike,

Long time and all that! I am taking my DM handles down next week to a local metal finishers so I will let you know what they cost as a guide.

I have just ordered these cool led's as I will have the handles apart....

Hey Mike,

Long time and all that! I am taking my DM handles down next week to a local metal finishers so I will let you know what they cost as a guide.

I have just ordered these cool led's as I will have the handles apart....

Thanks Matt, that will be useful. I have some of those illuminated buttons from Aliexpress but haven't fitted them yet.
mike.

Just got a quote from a place in Birmingham to plate coin door, backbox hinges and shooter handle (fish tales restore). They wanted £360 which is more than i was expecting. So hard to keep track of prices at the mo with inflation soaring!.

Came here to check if that was in the ball park and it sounds like it is :(

Im guessing powder coating prices are increasing also.

sent fish tales handle for chrome plating.

douglass metals above was £125+vat so £150 (+ shipping i assume)
Chromefix in Birmingham £135 inc (+£10 return shipping)

So not cheap any more :(

It went off to chrome fix today so fingers cross it comes back nice.

Last edited:
sent fish tales handle for chrome plating.

douglass metals above was £125+vat so £150 (+ shipping i assume)
Chromefix in Birmingham £135 inc (+£10 return shipping)

So not cheap any more :(

It went off to chrome fix today so fingers cross it comes back nice.

If I had known I could have taken it to Douglas metals as I’m taking a few bits there in a couple of weeks. With the amount I’ve spent there in the past 12 months 😬😂 they usually do me a decent “cash” price now.

You pretty handy with most stuff Ant, You not thought about doing it your self?

I did consider it as I have most of the kit already (for handle size parts), just needed the chemicals.. and the time to learn!

Its similar gear to anodizing which i do at work.

You pretty handy with most stuff Ant, You not thought about doing it your self?

I did consider it as I have most of the kit already (for handle size parts), just needed the chemicals.. and the time to learn!

Its similar gear to anodizing which i do at work.
I’m a bit of a Jack of all trades but plating is probably one thing I wouldn’t try myself and would leave to an expert.

Adding the shiny parts to a newly restored pin is like the icing on a cake so I think sometimes it’s better to pay for a pro to do the work and for me at least, plating is one of those jobs.

Back
Top Bottom