What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for decent gas soldering iron, any recommendations please?

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
Hi All

Long time no post, hope you are are all well. @Poibug I still have a little something for you... @Mark (not sure what your nick is) your wallnut tree died... I have two other saplings for you when we meet next. @everyone - keep safe and flipping.

Any recommendation as to a good quality, boxed gas soldering iron. I bought mine over 20 years ago when yo could only get them from RS and Tim-Berners Lee was playing with ZX Basic... - It needs heat shrink attachment too and replacement tips easily available. Am looking at this at the moment: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PORTASOL-S...KJ6TNPC2N0J&psc=1&refRID=CDHEY5DW6KJ6TNPC2N0J

Not touched a pin in ages. Been real busy working 7 days a week, since August. Making hay while sun duth shine.

@Mark - doing the EV Charger course in December. Reading through al the stuff now. It's almost as if they just don't want you top fit them it is that much of a pain in the ass!
@Mooseman your amazing dude, nice building skills.

@Poibug can you tag Mark on this please?

Cheers

JB

Ive got that same soldering Iron, just branded different. It works well, but I don't like using gas soldering irons in a confined areas as they vent heat out the side, and if you aren't careful end up melting other things around your work area :sad:

Ive got that same soldering Iron, just branded different. It works well, but I don't like using gas soldering irons in a confined areas as they vent heat out the side, and if you aren't careful end up melting other things around your work area :sad:
Yea, know what you mean. But mine is venting flames out the nibs now, and they're not very old. Time for an upgrade. :)

I’ve got that exact one and like it, my go to iron for under the playfield. Just need to be careful as quite a bit of heat gets chucked out like a jet so if close to cables, plastic etc it will burn.

hmm common theme here. Anyone have an iron that does not give out as much. My old one, while hot, certainly wont burn adjacent cables in the way that is mentioned so far. Well it does right now, because it's like something out of Aliens... :)

Not a gas iron, but the TS100 is really popular with radiocontrol hobbyists for on-the-field repairs - powered from a model's battery. You can run from any 12-24V source.

Might be good for going under the playfield?

Do you get any heating up of adjacent cables due to exhaust heat?
Yes mate, you do have to be a bit careful as I've nearly melted wiring a couple of times. It's not the best for really enclosed work.

good thread, put me off a gas one thanks [emoji106][emoji2]. i’ll stick with a conventional one. sounds like these are more trouble than the benefit of not having to run an extension cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the Dremel also, works well but watch the exhaust port FFS.....
You can heat it up then just switch it off to solder.....it retains enough heat in the nib for a while 👍

Weller Pyropen for me. Not cheap, however mine is now 15+ years old with regular use, and still going like the day i got it... :)

1605563067461.png

I use a gas soldering iron most days when I’m working, for soldering wires only, regular electric for anything with detail.

I’ve had two of the Portasol ones as per your original link, I found both became a PITA to light after a fairly short time, so the next one I bought was the Portasol Pro version, it looks very similar, lighting has never been an issue, but the Pro version doesn’t have the built in stand 🙄

I would recommend and I would replace it with another Pro version when the time comes.

Chris.

Thanks All. After much research and tooing and frowing. Am going to go with the Pyro pen. 15 year regular use is pretty good in my book. It will take up less room than my currrent one, has all the nibs i need (will be used for Electrical site work), in a tuff metal box too. No idea about side burn, but looks similar design to my old one, which was not too bad. Also looking at Utube vids heat seems to be applied deeper inside the iron (like sending a flame on to the metal rather than igniting a catalyst) , so i am guessing less vented hot air to the side maybe?

Thnaks All

JB

I have a weller soldering iron in my workshop that is 24 years old.
That speaks volumes.
Pay for quality.
I have one of those also... They are made in the same factory (allegedly).
Yes two - one Weller one SKC-70 - One in the workshop, one in my toolbox.

Hi All

Long time no post, hope you are are all well. @Poibug I still have a little something for you... @Mark (not sure what your nick is) your wallnut tree died... I have two other saplings for you when we meet next. @everyone - keep safe and flipping.

Any recommendation as to a good quality, boxed gas soldering iron. I bought mine over 20 years ago when yo could only get them from RS and Tim-Berners Lee was playing with ZX Basic... - It needs heat shrink attachment too and replacement tips easily available. Am looking at this at the moment: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PORTASOL-S...KJ6TNPC2N0J&psc=1&refRID=CDHEY5DW6KJ6TNPC2N0J

Not touched a pin in ages. Been real busy working 7 days a week, since August. Making hay while sun duth shine.

@Mark - doing the EV Charger course in December. Reading through al the stuff now. It's almost as if they just don't want you top fit them it is that much of a pain in the ass!
@Mooseman your amazing dude, nice building skills.

@Poibug can you tag Mark on this please?

Cheers

JB

I asked Mark, what his tag is on here.
Even he can't remember!

@Paul what number settings on the iron do you recommend for: -

Normal bodgy electrical - get it hot stick em together type work
Through hole components
Surface mount
Desoldering.

Cheers Buddy!

JB

Back