What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locating Pins on 1st floor

Steve C

Registered
I know the best place to locate pins is on the ground floor with easy access, etc, etc but unfortunately at the moment there just isn't the space to fit any so i'm considering using a room upstairs to put some in but I am concerned about the weight/how many. Does anybody have pins upstairs or have any thoughts on problems that I might encounter apart from the problem of getting them up there?

I know another forum member who's got 3 in an upstairs bedroom without any problems and also been to a league meet at someones house who had 3 in a bedroom. I don't think pins are any heavier than a wardrobe/chest of drawers full of clothes or any other big piece of furniture that lives upstairs tbh :)

Mine are on the ground floor so I have no experience of getting them up the stairs which sounds horrible but must be doable with two people.
I do however have to take the heads off mine to get them in the kitchen due to the door gap being very small. I just take each connector off and mark it's number with a permanent pen. Once all done, I gently drop/push the wires down into the cab, then I wedge cardboard under the head brackets so the dont swing and damage the cab art, then undo the bolts and take the head off. That weighs a bit and makes the cab weight less. Take the glass out of the cab and it is a lot easier to move about.

Obviously they weight a bit so spread them out, distribute the weight a bit and I am sure one or two will be fine. :eyebrows:

Yep - weight shouldn't be a problem. They are each only the same as a heavy person - and you wouldn't expect the floor to collapse if a few people were in the room.

One thing to consider is the noise thru the floor tho, I don't know whats below, but you would be surprised how much the noise from the solenoids can travel. I had a friend with a pin in his flat - lasted about 3 days before the guy downstairs went mental about the noise :rant:

If the stairs etc are roomy then its certainly possible for 2 fit people to carry a dmd machine up ! But certainly easier if you can be bothered to remove head. You might have no choice if space is at a premium. Of course if they are solid state, or EM's then the backbox issue is a whole lot simpler.

I had 2 upstairs. Hardest bit was getting them up my curved staircase. Nearly broke my back

Regarding the noise, it is worth bearing in mind. Best solution for that is what drummers do - use a 'drum platform' to isolate the vibration from the floor as much as possible. The cheap-as-chips solution is to use tennis balls as springs between two layers of plywood. It will all make sense when you start googling ;)

Also bear in mind scrapes to walls/pins when moving up and down stairs.... :scared:

It helps to have some good mates you can rely on to help you with the moving ! :biggrin1:

Back
Top Bottom