Leg Torque Settings Stern Response

Sako-TRG

Aug 3, 2018
DG126TW
Hi All,

I forgot to post this info a while ago.
I asked around but couldn’t find any info on the subject so went to Stern with the Q - there response below - hope this helps :)

Anthony Gray submitted the following Technical Support inquiry: Hello, I have purchased iron Maiden Pro machine which will be delivered in next few days. I have been trying to find out the torque settings for the 4 table legs to ensure they are tightened correctly using a torque wrench. Please can you provide the info as I'm unable to acquire from UK based re-seller or distributor. Thanks in advance, Anthony Please reply to:

Hi Anthony,
The leg bolts require 36-38 N.m of torque.

Best regards,
Chas Siddiqi
Stern Pinball Tech. Support
800 542-5377

Reactions: nugat
OP
OP
Sako-TRG

Sako-TRG

Aug 3, 2018
DG126TW
The reason I looked into this....without mentioning any names....was a Pro installation guy turned up with an impact wrench ? - also was thinking as it’s kinda acceptable to tilt + nudge in the game then too slack vs too tight outside the manufacturer guidelines could result in cabinet damage.

RudeDogg1

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2012
Barnstaple, Devon
Would of just been a ratchet wrench I’d of thought unless he was dragging a compressor with him . It’s just easier with a ratchet I’ve used one to do legs before just the same as with a spanner u know when it feels tight enough. I wouldn’t loose any sleep about it

Durzel

Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2017
Bath, UK
How much are peoples pins moving about that they need to consider torqueing the leg bolts up to a specific level? :hmm: It's not like they're car wheels..

Can you actually go too tight? The legs will touch the cabinet regardless if there aren't protectors (metal or otherwise)

Let's not get to serious people, it's only Pinball.
1192791-966f1.jpg

kevlar

Apr 11, 2013
Newport, South Wales
Can you actually go too tight? The legs will touch the cabinet regardless if there aren't protectors (metal or otherwise)
Have you never bought a machine with stripped leg plates? they're only a couple of threads deep and easily stripped. Pain in the ass to change the rear leg plates, or put nuts on the inside, have had that problem a few times with older machines, pretty annoying when the seller doesn't mention it.

Reactions: Wayne J

Durzel

Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2017
Bath, UK
I haven't, no, but I've only bought 3 machines so far in my life :) I use ChrisH's approach, never knew it was possible to strip the plates.. :confused: How do you avoid this happening?

OP
OP
Sako-TRG

Sako-TRG

Aug 3, 2018
DG126TW
Would of just been a ratchet wrench I’d of thought unless he was dragging a compressor with him . It’s just easier with a ratchet I’ve used one to do legs before just the same as with a spanner u know when it feels tight enough. I wouldn’t loose any sleep about it
? nope - honestly.......it was an impact wrench which is what was worrying. Maybe he was a dab hand at using it...feeling the force and all that ? I work on my own motorcycles so know the difference. By the way... they don’t all need an airline (compressor) you can get battery and electric operated ones which punt out 450 +Nm of torque plent enough to ruin the threads on your pin.

RudeDogg1

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2012
Barnstaple, Devon
nope - honestly.......it was an impact wrench which is what was worrying. Maybe he was a dab hand at using it...feeling the force and all that I work on my own motorcycles so know the difference. By the way... they don’t all need an airline (compressor) you can get battery and electric operated ones which punt out 450 +Nm of torque plent enough to ruin the threads on your pin.
That’s abit overkill then lol

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
Walsall
:confused: How do you avoid this happening?
By not over tightening the leg bolts - perhaps by using a torque wrench set to the correct level? :cool:

I think it's a fair enough question to ask how tight the legbolts need tightening, especially if you haven't got years of experience - like the majority on here.
There's no such thing as a stupid question - if you don't know the answer.

Once you have tightened the bolts to the correct degree a couple of times using a torque wrench, you should get the feel and not need a torque wrench.

mark9

Site Supporter
Sep 7, 2013
Lincoln, Uk
Reactions: Sako-TRG