What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leg protectors for newly decal'd cabinet

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Morning all,

Hopefully an easy question:

What's the best method or combination of methods for mounting the legs on a newly redecal'd cabinet?

Besides the bolts, obviously.

Do you use the stern metal protectors?
Do you use the larger plastic protectors?
Felt?
A combination of the above?
Or another thing I've not heard of....?

For ref I'm currently using the stern metal protectors, then the plastic ones on top, legs, followed by a small plastic washer (to try and stop metal on metal paint damage) followed by the mandatory bolts.

Although the plastic protector is slightly off the decals, it looks like it might rub a little bit causing wrinkling.

Should I be using only the sterns metals?
Or trimming around the {type of?} protectors with a sharp knife?

Advice appreciated.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2
Mr Replicas told me to use felt after he re-decalled my IJ

I did as he said and last time I took the legs off to move it, there was no damage or wrinkling under the legs so I can confirm that advice is good.

Also don't fully tighten the leg bolts for a few days

My Taxi is with Matt Adams at the moment. I've supplied the stern metal ones as you've pictured. I'm not sure whether to use plastic as well. I like the look but not sure what Colour to use

If using the Stern metal protectors then that's all you need.
They hold the leg off the cabinet so no wrinkles can occur.

Felt slide and protect from damage.

Plastic should only be used once damage has occurred and it hides that damage.

Ok, I'll remove the plastic protectors then - thanks for the tips.

Are we all absolutely sure there's no need to carefully use a craft knife to cut the decal around the shape of the stern cab protector, just incase it moves a little, snags and then distorts the surrounding decal?

And I might paint the bolts red, just because.

My Taxi is with Matt Adams at the moment. I've supplied the stern metal ones as you've pictured. I'm not sure whether to use plastic as well. I like the look but not sure what Colour to use
On a taxi the plastic protectors might cover up the vertical black lines of the signposts, sort of spoiling the nice artwork's framing.

But if you want colour suggestions, I'd say clear.

Are we all absolutely sure there's no need to carefully use a craft knife to cut the decal around the shape of the stern cab protector

I thought you were supposed to do this but would check with @replicas as he's the cab guru :)

Hi Paul - I didn't realise it was you. I didn't have them back then, I only got them a couple of weeks ago. However, I still feel bad for messing you about with the speaker so PM me your address and I'll put the leg protectors in the post for you :)
Cheers, Mark

Hi Paul - I didn't realise it was you. I didn't have them back then, I only got them a couple of weeks ago. However, I still feel bad for messing you about with the speaker so PM me your address and I'll put the leg protectors in the post for you :)
Cheers, Mark
no need mate, I'll happily give you £6 or whatever for them. PM me your paypal etc and I'll sort tomorrow on the train to London, or the train to York. Either.

The current plan:

I'm going to score the decal along the edges of the stern metal protector with a sharp craft knife.

Then put a felt pad between the stern metal protector and the metal leg.

Bolts will have black washers between them and the legs.

No plastic protector.

In theory, this way, any decal movement only slips the small patch under the metal protector as it's not connected to the wider decal. The metal legs don't touch the cab decals either, so it should be fine.

Thought that the idea of the stern metal protectors was that they hold the leg off the cabinet so no need for anything else, plastic, felt or otherwise?

Thought that the idea of the stern metal protectors was that they hold the leg off the cabinet so no need for anything else, plastic, felt or otherwise?
Correct.
Can't see any need to score the decal either.
Between the bolt and the leg, to save the paint use a fiber washer. It's small enough not to be noticed.

Back
Top Bottom