What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leg Protection.... Felt, Plastic or Foam??

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
There seems to be three different choices when it comes to leg protection. Would be interesting to know people thoughts.....

Or maybe Felt under plastic??

I currently have the Rigid plastic type (Pinguard), and the Felt type (Supplied by John Mel over at 1stoppinball). Have heard of, but not seen, the Foam ones.

Just re-decalled today, and don't want to start the old leg Wrinkle... I will deffo be following the "tighten the legs loosely and then stand on all 4 before tightening" technique....

Last edited:
After a redecal don't put any legs on for as long as poss.
Felt , for cabs with no damage (new decals)
Pincab plastic protectors, for cabs with damage these hide what damage there is.
Stealth these keep the leg off the cabinet thus stopping damage (new Stern machines have these)

So on your nicely redecaled wh20 it must be felt, or stealth.
Go with felt and like you say don't tighten fully until its got the weight on all four legs.
So how did the redecal go ?

Pincab plastic protectors, for cabs with damage these hide what damage there is.
Stealth these keep the leg off the cabinet thus stopping damage (new Stern machines have these)

Cheers Daz - Typical - Want to get it on it's feet ASAP so i can get cracking on the braiding and the rest of the cab stuff :)

Should there be anything sat on the decals to make sure there is good adherence before attaching the legs?

So on your nicely redecaled wh20 it must be felt, or stealth.
Go with felt and like you say don't tighten fully until its got the weight on all four legs.
So how did the redecal go ?

I don't think i've ever panicked as much!! Cab sides were a piece of cake, other than the Coin door end where i narrowly managed to avert a major catastrophe many thanks to the hole in the middle... All ok in the end though... Cab head decals were a nightmare, probably because i did them first and it was my first attempt... however went on ok :)

Now i've done it, definitely more confident the next time, if it comes :D

To Follow Steve when it's on it's legs (hopefully!) tomorrow evening :)

If using plastic , it's a good idea to screw them directly to the cabinet so that they can't move under the leg. Screws are hidden below the leg.

thats a really good idea.... I'll go off hunting my plastic protectors later then :) Cheers chaps :)

Apparently the foam ones eventually stick to the decals and end up making more of a mess than the wrinkles ever would.

Have seen a few people advising against them (haven't used them myself,or any protectors for that matter)

I bought some plastic ones from the Heighway counter at the last ukpp....so far so good and looks pretty nice.

Last edited:
I had some felt ones on Avatar and I was surprised that the felt managed to lift some blue off the cabinet...! :eek:

I make everyone who plays my machines wear silk gloves so they don't damage the flipper button area.

Seriously, I have plastic cab protectors on CFTBL because a previous owner put them on there. They look fine and don't distract from the hitting the flippers with the ball part of pinball. ;)

+1

I followed this advice and fitted felt to my newly decalled IJ

1st stop pinball sell them for next to nothing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom