What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Led light bars

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
9C2B8448-F477-4D8C-A099-A1B77CB441E2.jpeg

I made up some led light bars. similar to yopsicles. the black ones are for feature lights. dc voltage. the green ones are for GI lamp holders and will handle ac voltage (will also work on dc too). the led is a warm white. gonna install them in my next bally refurb. will get extras made if anyone wants some. be under £1, cheaper than a new lamp holder and bulb. they have built in resistors so are a direct replacement for an incandescent bulb. tested ok on bally ss games. i’ll test in a williams ss soon too.

Tested both the ac and dc versions in williams SS both work fine. still need the diodes to prevent issues in the lamp matrix (this is because i’ve got a resistor in parallel with the LED, so that on bally games these draw enough current to keep the scr switched on. don’t really need the resistor on the lamp matrix versions, so i cut it off and that seemed to work even better on the williams as then there is no need for the extra led)

Would definitely be interested in seeing how a playfield looks with these, could be a lovely replacement to those awful green Bally lamp sockets.

I'll want some of the controlled lamp ones for my Fathom and Stargazer refurbs 👍 interested to see how the GI ones fit and look?

I'd deffo be interested, have some #44 sockets on Expo that need replacing, would love to try these out please 😍😍

great idea Alan,have you tried fitting them to any star rollovers?,do they fit or get in the way of the leaf switch?

They are fantastic - any games that work on will get them installed for sure.

they do 3 things

1. upgrade to leds
2. get rid of dodgy old lamp sockets
3. have built in anti-flicker resistor, so no need for a separate anti flicker led kit
Thanks so much @AlanJ . Got mine today and tried out the DC ones in my Williams Expo, worked an absolute treat!! Stunning. Decided to remove again and ended up pinching some bulbs from Minizag as now selling Expo, would like to install these on the playfield of Minizag.

Happy to pay for these test LEDs....really impressed with the design. What a super idea!

Thanks so much @AlanJ . Got mine today and tried out the DC ones in my Williams Expo, worked an absolute treat!! Stunning. Decided to remove again and ended up pinching some bulbs from Minizag as now selling Expo, would like to install these on the playfield of Minizag.

Happy to pay for these test LEDs....really impressed with the design. What a super idea!
brill, no money needed for those

We have figured out (or rather @Pudsey pinball has figured out) that they won’t work in a machine that doesn’t work with ordinary led bulbs. eg the 6803 games that use a/c voltage to control two separate lamps with one scr. the leds flicker because they are only on half the time due to the ac phase split.

they work fine on the older ss games. i also tested on williams lamp matrix game and they work ok there but still need a diode to prevent back circuiting via the rest of the matrix

Yep my 6803 game with 36 yr scr drivers NO LIKEY!!! But hey it’s what trials are for,but a good lamp n skt replacement for other machines for sure 👍🏻

@Pudsey pinball did you have to add the rectifying diode that is mounted on the lamp holder for these biphase games? I thought I'd seen standard LED lamps working in Gold Ball which has the same biphase arrangement but could be imagining it.

Back
Top Bottom