What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED ceiling light help

RudeDogg1

Registered
Have any of you electrical whizz’s ever fitted one of them round led ceiling lights? Trying to fit one for my mum. The fitting only has 2 live and 2 neutral connection points but that room is on the ring main so has a tonne more wires going in. The instructions don’t include anything for this kinda set up. Typical the other one I did for her only had live and neutral

e6d9532356501f0ff154eb6e12a86349.jpg

40bf8777f47000829ec1c8adf91995f2.jpg

Really hard to say but Ones got the switching live by the looks so use that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black wire with red marker is the switched live from switch, 2 red wires are loop in/out live, black is neutral, yellow/green is earth.
Basicly connect your new light as in pic keeping the 2 red wires joined together same with earth.

The lives in the middle go into a connector block - and do not put them onto the new fitting.

You should have only ONE BROWN or RED going to the L of the new light fitting.
The BLUES or BLACK go to the neutral.

No lights are actually on a ring main - its just a supply from the fusebox that loops to the rooms and then finishes. It does not return to the dist board like a ring main.

If you cant work this out - get a pro to do it mate. Make sure connections are good and tight!

ok so there is a switched live , easiest way is to buy a couple of wago connectors a bit of 1mm or 1.5 mm cable, and a roll of insulation tape and connect them as they are in the fitting and add the live of the new bit of 1mm cable which will be brown to the red and black sleeved cable, join the reds in the middle into another block and the brown from the new 1mm cable to the black on the right hand side to another block . so you can if you want use the flex to the light bulb if you want , i usually put them in blocks as they look in the light rose then tape up and push up into the ceiling ,there is no earth on the light flex so i use a new bit of cable replacing the white flex and that will connect to your new light and other cables are pushed into ceiling,hope im not making it sound too confusing, the loop cables are just your lives one in and 1 out they need to stay together seperate from the others.

ok so there is a switched live , easiest way is to buy a couple of wago connectors a bit of 1mm or 1.5 mm cable, and a roll of insulation tape and connect them as they are in the fitting and add the live of the new bit of 1mm cable which will be brown to the red and black sleeved cable, join the reds in the middle into another block and the brown from the new 1mm cable to the black on the right hand side to another block . so you can if you want use the flex to the light bulb if you want , i usually put them in blocks as they look in the light rose then tape up and push up into the ceiling ,there is no earth on the light flex so i use a new bit of cable replacing the white flex and that will connect to your new light and other cables are pushed into ceiling,hope im not making it sound too confusing, the loop cables are just your lives one in and 1 out they need to stay together seperate from the others.

A lil bit confusing I don’t need to use the original light flex this will totally replace it

@RudeDogg1 - you wont reuse that flex. The twin and earths can be terminated straight into the new light.
Please - if you do not understand this GET SOMEONE QUALIFIED TO DO IT.
Please dont blow yourself up or ya mum.
An electrician would charge I would estimate £30-50 to do this job. It would cost more if you attempt it first, and decide you messed it up as the electrician would have to start checking wiring thru.
Doing this you know its safe!

I see so many electrical nightmares - I also get the phone call from someone who has had a go and forked it up.

As someone who has been qualified for 30 years plus now - be careful! Do not mess with electrics.

@RudeDogg1 - you wont reuse that flex. The twin and earths can be terminated straight into the new light.
Please - if you do not understand this GET SOMEONE QUALIFIED TO DO IT.
Please dont blow yourself up or ya mum.
An electrician would charge I would estimate £30-50 to do this job. It would cost more if you attempt it first, and decide you messed it up as the electrician would have to start checking wiring thru.
Doing this you know its safe!

I see so many electrical nightmares - I also get the phone call from someone who has had a go and forked it up.

As someone who has been qualified for 30 years plus now - be careful! Do not mess with electrics.
This +1

Lighting especially dangerous as you'd be amazed how many people think switching it off at the wall switch means it's all off at the fitting [emoji54]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

This +1

Lighting especially dangerous as you'd be amazed how many people think switching it off at the wall switch means it's all off at the fitting [emoji54]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Lol I’m not that daft. I’ve fitted one of these before was just the extra 2 cables that threw me

Back
Top Bottom