What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop in my pin...

DrPinball

Registered
I managed to shoehorn a 15.6" display into my TAF - results are not too bad...

I wonder how much it would work out to do it this way? The colourDMD guys product is nice but I don't have that kind of money to throw around. Could this work out under £200?

That is very cool. Did you rip the screen out of something you had lying about or buy it from somewhere? Couple this with your DMD colouring tool and it's a winner if the price is right :)

The screen was bought as a laptop replacement from a company in Manchester - it's just a regular laptop screen i.e. there isn't an HDMI connection. I had to buy an adaptor to connect HDMI to LVDS. I'll be creating a board to do this that also contains the DMD interface and power supply all in one.

As for price, this needs to come in below £200 - hopefully significantly below £200. There's a lot of work to do to get to that point. Hopefully the software I'll provide will give you something that's a good competitor to ColorDMD. More to follow on that in future updates.

Personal DMD is still progressing as well - nearly there on the enclosure, then a few updates to the software are needed, but it's all pretty close now.

Awesome work mate, your going to have a great set of products :) Can't wait to get my hands on the personal DMD enclosure for BSD. If you need any help with testing or anything then give me a shout.

If you can get it significantly below £200 then you will sell bucketloads, it would be a no brainer to replace a worn out DMD with one of these if it wasn't going to cost much more. Also you'll have the colourDMD guys quaking in their boots!

would that work for the large Sega displays? If so, you're sitting on a gold mine.

would that work for the large Sega displays? If so, you're sitting on a gold mine.
The technology definitely works on the large screens - I have a couple of guys in Germany using Extenders on Frankenstein machines. The main issue is finding an LCD panel the correct size to match the original. 15.6" is good for 128 X 32 screens, but there isn't a good fit for 192 X 64. I'll keep looking at this as I know people want to replace theses screens.

Amazing work! As and when there's a kit ill be in! I was amazed when my colordmd arrived. The display panel was only £50 from eBay. The profit per unit must be amazing! As said by others, if you can turn these around for less than £200, it's a done deal. Did I see somewhere that the colordmd guy was posturing about patents and getting upset? Hope not!

Looks great. Cant wait for this to be in production. Still want the ability to colour my own games more than anything else however.

Back
Top Bottom