What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping a table in a out building

Andy MD

Registered
Hi all, first post - please go easy!!

I'm going to be moving my table to a detached garage and I was wondering what is the best temperature to try and keep the room especially in the winter? I av a electric rad with thermostatic control which I can just set and leave.

Cheers in advance
Andy

An electric heater running 24 hours a day through winter is going to cost you a pretty penny. In winter my garage is usually a degree or two warmer than outside, still cold enough to freeze a glass of water.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome!

Hi all, first post - please go easy!!

I'm going to be moving my table to a detached garage and I was wondering what is the best temperature to try and keep the room especially in the winter? I av a electric rad with thermostatic control which I can just set and leave.

Cheers in advance
Andy

Insulate it Andy. I converted a garage at one of our old houses. Made an insulated box big enough for 3 tables and heated in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insulate it Andy. I converted a garage at one of our old houses. Made an insulated box big enough for 3 tables and heated in the winter.

50 mm celotex and 100watt ceramic on a vivarium thermostat would cost bugger all to run! :) IMP

Once insulated and warm don't forget to have a dehumidifier ticking over to keep the moisture at bay.

@Andy MD

No easy answer. Your enemies are cold, humidity and electricity bills

The cold means plastics are brittle and prone to break during play .

Humidity destroys everything - metal, plywood delaminates, backglasses are shredded

Then you are into electric bills .best to run a dehumidifier rather than a heater. That gives you two for the price of one. Heat and the air is dried

Whether you need to insulate or not, that comes down to your structure and your budget

What Humidity should you keep the garage at?

I would just run a deHumidifier and it helps keep shed warm. If not insulated I would consider it. Worth it in the long run.

I run a dehumidifier in my garage (for the cars, no pins in there), it costs over £400 a quarter in electric!

Be aware, if you do use a dehumidifier in an outbuilding you will need to use a desiccant type, as compressor dehumidifier won't dehumidify when its much below 15 degrees, so that's three seasons of the year!

Chris.

I run a dehumidifier in my garage (for the cars, no pins in there), it costs over £400 a quarter in electric!

Be aware, if you do use a dehumidifier in an outbuilding you will need to use a desiccant type, as compressor dehumidifier won't dehumidify when its much below 15 degrees, so that's three seasons of the year!

Chris.

what kind of car needs a dehumidifier on like that all the time?

I would definitely insulate and find a low cost heating solution to try and aim for 12-14C as a constant temp.

Insulation is not just to keep the cold out but also to help control the temperature changes in spring and autumn. Going from freezing to 10 maybe 15C in a day then back to freezing (which happens more than you might think) is what is really bad for the machines and you'll see water on just about every surface of the game. If they are going into storage, then you might consider either flogging them (serious) or putting them into one of the storage companies where the typically heat the storage rooms - or failing that wrap the game up with blankets and then clingfilm.

Had many TVRs too, particularly favourite was my 3000s turbo convertible ..

Had many TVRs too, particularly favourite was my 3000s turbo convertible ..

Wanted to have one - but test drive didn’t go well, water was involved and a large flash!

Back
Top Bottom