What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just discovered Centaur

Friz

Registered
Just discovered this pin and can't believe I've never seen it before, it's brilliant (if pinball arcade is anything to go by). Does anyone have one of the who can say if they are worth getting and also how much I would be looking at to buy one?

Mine will probably be at the uk pinball party. Typically. £600 -£1000 I'd say depending on condition

Friz,

Just in case you weren't aware, Bally built another run (1,500) of this game as 'Centaur II', but fitted into a different style cabinet - the same one as 8 Ball Deluxe Limited Edition. Despite having the same playfield and sound, and similar artwork on the smaller backglass, I think they're usually a bit cheaper than the original. I had no hesitation in buying one, sight unseen, in the early 90's, and kept it for about 10 years.

Also, as was often the case with 80's Ballys, there was a Bell Games 'conversion' kit which could be used to build a Centaur play-alike, with the same layout, but not the artwork or sound. I think it was called 'Fantasy'. I've not actually played one of these, so can't comment about playability.

I'd love a Centaur, started a wanted thread a few weeks ago but no response. I don't think there are many in the uk?

I have a Centaur, its proably my favourite Bally SS game. It's got some good shots that require accuracy and skill, 5 ball multiball and some awesome sounds and speech! Also love the ball saver gates on the outlines on either side, a well timed tap on the side of the cab brings the ball back into the inlane :)

Yeah, Centaur is a top game, I've played a few times, one of those being at UK Pinball Party 2013. Not only are the black and white graphics very striking but the sounds are very catchy. I'd love one... would sit nicely between my '79 Bally Paragon and '82 Bally Vector.

Each to their own of course, but I prefer the weird cabinet of the second batch. Similar to that on Mr & Mrs Pac-Man, another one on my want list:

CentaurII.jpg BallyPacMan.jpg

There was a Centaur II kicking around on eBay for ages a while back but it was a junk project and ended up going for what I thought was way over the odds. Something like £500-600.

Guess I'll have to make do with the iPad version.:(
You could always console yourself with an '82 Bally Vector. Released just three months after Centaur (with just Medusa in between the model numbers, another awesome game) it even steals the odd sound from Centaur. No where near as cool or desirable as Centaur but for some unfathomable reason not terribly popular in the UK (it is in the US where it fetches good prices) so can be had for very little.

Okay, I'm biased because I've got one, so I have to big it up, but you'd be hard pushed to get a better fully-working pinball machine for £350! :) Cheaper than an iPad and it's got a double infinity-style backglass. Very cool :cool:

VectorFlyer.jpg

Centaur is an awesome game, up there with Flash Gordon, Fathom and Eight Ball Deluxe as the best that Bally made IMO :) Problem with getting hold of one is that the people who have them don't want to sell, can't blame them though.

Played the Centaur at the UKPP last year, played ok but the sound was either not working or switched off which was a bummer, the sound adds so much to that game. Does it belong to anyone on here?

Chris, I can still remember watching you play an epic game on Centaur at the Christmas Cracker meet a couple of years ago. You just kept adding balls to a continuous multball fest, putting a high score onto the machine :cool: The game had awesome reverb sounding really sweet!

I also remember playing the Centaur at last year's Pinball Party with the sound turned down, and felt disappointed.

Centaur is an awesome game, up there with Flash Gordon, Fathom and Eight Ball Deluxe as the best that Bally made IMO :) Problem with getting hold of one is that the people who have them don't want to sell, can't blame them though.

Guys, sorry Centaur is not going to be for sale.

It is at the Retro Games Party arcade in Haslingden (nr Blackburn) so keep an eye on the meetings and events page for the announcement of the next public event ;)

Another +1 from me for Centaur great game. There was a few on ebay abit back, seems to have dried up now..

Back
Top Bottom