What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Jurassic Park

Spandangler

Site Supporter

Jurassic Park Shop Log

Disclaimer: As with all my shop logs you should be aware that I am lazy.:clap:

These logs are one up from a wipe round with a rag and several down from Chris Brim and Ronsplooters restoration efforts.

In truth, the main reason for documenting these logs is for future buyers when I sell it!! It's nice to know as a buyer that at least a little love has been thrown at it to justify my £2000 price hike :rofl:

So, I picked this up from @Hud last week.
I've wanted a JP for about 5 years since my mate had one. I loved playing it. So much fun. I remember getting system failure for the first time and being super stoked..

Here's the pics

20170610_114507_resized.jpg

20170610_114503_resized.jpg

20170610_111616_resized.jpg

20170610_112800_resized.jpg

20170610_112939_resized.jpg

20170610_114550_resized_1.jpg

20170610_114546_resized_1.jpg

20170610_114542_resized.jpg

20170610_114536_resized.jpg

20170610_114557_resized.jpg

20170610_114554_resized.jpg

20170610_114959_resized.jpg

20170610_114949_resized.jpg

Cab is prett tidy. Improvised topper but I'm ok with that.

Maybe someone can correct me here but werr data east toppers an optional extra?

Repros are available but at $185 shipped and the fact it won't fit in my room with it anyway, I'll give it a miss.

My collection has been stale for a couple of years now. Stuck in a rut of not having the mojo to play but daring not to sell due to extortionate prices and knowing I won't be able to afford to buy them back.
But due to a family health scare last year, I'm more of the opinion "**** it, live for the now"
(No I'm not selling wh20 or taxi ;-)
So fishy went and JP came in its place.

A good tidy example to start with but scratch the surface and it needs a bit of TLC. Tired rubbers, dirty pitted balls, pretty dirty etc..

First job was to sort the remote battery holder. It was installed incorrectly and wasn't doing anything. Hence the need to open the coin door at each switch on.

I can't be bothered to remove the cpu board right now so I've installed lithiums on the board until I get round to sorting the remote out

I played a couple of games and noticed the "A HOLE" ooooh errrrr wasn't registering so starting modes was somewhat problematic!!
A common issue on JP. In this instance the switch armature had got jammed preventing the switch from closing. All sorted and game seems to be playing well.

That's the last game on Version 5.01. @Paul will hopefully be burning me a nice set of 6.0 roms for the grand switch on!!

Having never dismantled a data east machine before I was surprised how simple things were in some ways and how damn annoying and archaic other things were.

The pop bumper mechs were a pleasant surprise. 4 bolts and the entire mech drops through the playfield.

On the other hand, lots of above the playfield lamp sockets aren't on quick connectors at either end, thus the requirement to desolder the wires before removal. In fact, the raptor pit plastic cannot be removed with out desoldering a lamp and a flasher. Very annoying.

I've found a few screws stuck tight in the t nuts resulting in sheared off heads
Before I started stripping the machine, I thought to myself "Ahh there's now't to it. One ramp and a few plastics, that's about it!"

How wrong was I. Apart from Earthshaker this has been the biggest pita of a pin I've ever shopped.

The metal ball guides are so much hassle to remove I'm leaving them in. Unlike the Bally/Williams ones, they are a lot fatter and go all the way through the pf making levering them out impossible. I tried using a center punch but that was taking forever, they're so well in and there's so many of them, life's to short. Leave em in.

So I've removed most stuff, including the subways and scoops from beneath.

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

A while back I ordered some parts from 1 Stop pinball. At first I thought Mel had accidentally sent me a few ounces of class A, however on closer inspection it was a complimentary bag of miracle cleaner.

It's sat in my draw for a couple if years and i happened upon it the other day. So I thought I'd give it a whirl.

IMG_0159.JPG

So I threw all the metal and plastic bits in a tub, diluted the magic powder with 5 litres of water and waited half an hour.
Voila quick scrub in clean water and it's all come up spiffing. No elbow grease required and **** load easier than doing each piece by hand. At 60p a bag or whatever it is, it's worth a shot.

IMG_0167.JPG

That's where I'm at so far. A few more bits to clean, then some leds to replace the pita to reach bulbs.
New pop bumper rings as the current ones are delaminating.
Some new shiny nuts as they're mostly rusted to hell and I don't have a tumbler.

Oh and a treasure cove of the playfield. And that'll do me ding dang do.

I'll post some more pics when it's finished probably next year :eek:

Sorry mate - forgot to tell you - roms went in the post last night, so should be with you tomorrow all being well :)

No Kev it was fine to be honest, it was a case of oh I'll remove that bit and give it a clean under there and before you know it, you're 9/10ths of the way there.

And thanks @Paul much appreciated mate.

From what I can gather it's just oxy powder which you can get in wilkos for a couple quid for a big tub. That's what I use now

From what I can gather it's just oxy powder which you can get in wilkos for a couple quid for a big tub. That's what I use now

Errr no Rudi. It's "Miracle dust" you can't just buy this **** in Wilkos man. As an experiment, I tipped a bit in my bottle of highland spring. It turned in to a litre of Chateau Nuef D' Pap and I got smashed........ Which was nice.

A while back I ordered some parts from 1 Stop pinball. At first I thought Mel had accidentally sent me a few ounces of class A, however on closer inspection it was a complimentary bag of miracle cleaner.

Lol, exact same here too - I thought I'd been upgraded to one of his "special" customers

I removed the ball guides on my DE table using a claw hammer with the head resting on a teatowel to prevent damage to the playfield.

First job was to sort the remote battery holder. It was installed incorrectly and wasn't doing anything. Hence the need to open the coin door at each switch on.

I'll keep that quiet from the missus then, kept blaming her for wiping my high scores;) Take it that was why it would nt stay set to free play too or was that me just being a total plank:hmm:

I'll keep that quiet from the missus then, kept blaming her for wiping my high scores;) Take it that was why it would nt stay set to free play too or was that me just being a total plank:hmm:

No that's why it wouldn't keep the free play mate. No power from backup batteries to hold settings.

Quick update.
All stripped, re-rubbered and cleaned. Playfield was 3 part treasure cover and waxed with gelrlitz carnuba wax. It's come up like glass. Really pleased with how the pf looks.

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0238.JPG
This was really done on a tight budget. (Kids need new shoes). Ideally I'd have liked to splash out on titan rubbers (colour coded rings etc..) Comet LED's, new topper etc..
Alas I couldn't stretch to that so used stuff I had in stock.

I had a can of orange spray paint left after my Congo shop log so used that to paint the "O" and "S" scoops. Which looks quite good.

IMG_0201.JPG

Paul sent me some 6.0 Roms. All installed and working great (luckily as I made a right pigs ear of getting the old ones out)
Arakissun sent me a new green target to replace the smashed one here
I've wrapped the new one in Mylar to hopefully prevent it happening again.
A slack Handful of pinball led warm whites for the gi and back box
New balls

And that's about it.

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

Every time I shop out a machine I'm like "**** sake, I can't be ****d with this" but when it's back together it was I'm worth all the hassle and makes me want another project.

It really has come up a treat. Makes me wanna buy one of those snazzy laserific toppers. Maybe one day.

Cheers all.

Back
Top Bottom