What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judge Dredd non stop balls.... (read on)

Andydn

Site Supporter
Where do I start - I’m well aware of Judge Dredds temperamental ball trough opto issues (dirty emitters, dry solder joints, cracked resistors etc) but now I’m really stumped.
All works fine, 6 ball super game, regular 4 ball multiball BUT when I reach ‘Ultimate Challenge’ it just keeps firing balls even after the drain shield has deactivated. If it makes any difference both times today I’ve had extra ball lit.
This is the ONLY time the game plays up currently and is infuriating as it requires a reset and stops you finishing the Wizard mode.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Surely it’s a software bug? I can’t think of anything unique it does at this stage that could be triggering this fault?

Most likely to be a trough fault. Put the game in switch test and check they all register then leave it in switch test to see if it drops out intermittently. If not then hit the playfield or side of cabinet to see if vibration causes the issue.

Most likely to be a trough fault. Put the game in switch test and check they all register then leave it in switch test to see if it drops out intermittently. If not then hit the playfield or side of cabinet to see if vibration causes the issue.

Like I said, aware of the usual issues with this machine. Literally everything checks out fine, wiggled cables in switch edge test mode, ball trough opto’s work 100% in test mode. ONLY happens during Ultimate Challenge mode.... just tried replicating with glass off - not doing it now! Damn poxy intermittent issues aggghhhhg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a multiball sequence that seemed to go on forever recently.

It was after locking the 3 balls in deadworld. Multiball started and lasted for ages. I thought that I was hitting a shot to continue the multiball (Popeye has the same feature) but now I'm wondering if it was a glitch. Alas I've not encountered it since or even noticed an available shot to extend multiball.

Sounds like a similar fault Gonzo, it’s definitely a machine that suffers from it.

Here’s a weird one that may help with fault finding - when mine was firing balls, if I disconnected the ball trough opto receiver it carried on firing?!

I had an opto issue which was causing havoc on Deadworld.

Easy fix in the end because there was dust on it so wasn't registering the balls.

Still most likely to be trough opto 6, anyhow, next time it happens open the coin door (while the game is in play) and select switch test and see if the whole opto line is out or not (balls draining should be seen registering the optos until all 6 are back in the trough). If the whole line is out (no balls registered in the trough) then it's likely to be a fault on the 7 opto switch board.

Still most likely to be trough opto 6, anyhow, next time it happens open the coin door (while the game is in play) and select switch test and see if the whole opto line is out or not (balls draining should be seen registering the optos until all 6 are back in the trough). If the whole line is out (no balls registered in the trough) then it's likely to be a fault on the 7 opto switch board.

Did that mate, no faults at all - all behaving as they should. It’s a strange one (as always!)

There is a bug in the software ; where you get endless multiball in normal multiball not sure on Ultimate Challenge though.

Not heard that before, is this self diagnosed or have you heard it somewhere? Also it does seem to happen at random, not all the time and not that often to be fair - does this sound like the bug you’re referring to?

And randomness doesn't count against it being a software bug - remember T2's absolutely bonkers ability to go off the rails in novel ways if you dare play multiplayer - or try to get multiball too often.

The Getaway also had some classic stupid bugs in the early revisions. If you want to feck off absolutely everybody if you're playing a game on an old rom set of Getaway, trigger Secret Mania and you will have earned your label as a bell end.

I've seen it happen. Albeit randomly. L-7 ROM is the best to use L1AT the deadworld mod is very twitchy.

I’m using L-7, still does it occasionally though. Whilst I always suspected ball trough opto issues (as there where most ‘googling’ leads to) I later suspected it’s possibly a software bug, good to have this confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom