What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete JD - I AM THE LAW!

s000m

Site Supporter
Alias
Scott
What's that you say?

Scott you still haven't finished the other 3 pins you were working on?

Wrong says I!

BSD is complete and just awaiting a translite and speaker panel.

CFTBL is just waiting on mirror blades and replacement translite

Shadow is just waiting on a speaker panel.

All of the above should be arriving in the next week or so.

So this leaves me with my latest project.

Judge Dredd

Picked this up on the weekend. I think i've burnt out all my good will with the wife darting across the country picking up pins (lol).

This one is a bit of a project machine.

Arrived with the following faults

• J U D G E targets not operable (targets refusing to reset back to standing position)
  • Roll over switch errors on outlanes
  • Left Action button not working
  • DMD screen showing garbage
  • Half the lights out
  • Playfield looks like its not seen a cloth in 3 years
  • Broken glass on top and inside the playfield
  • Loose ramps and broken post

PXL_20220626_184910090.jpg

Why people think its OK to sell a machine for thousands with broken glass in it is beyond me...

PXL_20220626_181843478.jpg

Playfield felt like sand paper when you ran your finger over it.

PXL_20220626_184941963.jpg

Loose plastic? Not a problem use hot glue!

PXL_20220626_190308420.jpg

Onto the clean up...

Getting all the glass out was a nightmare it was caught in the loom, the switches and was generally all over the place. On top of this the replacement glass wasn't built correctly to spec. Its so thick that it barely goes into the channel. I'm sourcing a replacement before this sheet ends up like the last one...

PXL_20220626_193949414.jpg

Under neath looks pretty good. Rails were hanging on by a thread so had to re-tighten then, no worries.
Fishing out the glass though as a PITA.

PXL_20220626_193947395.jpg

Found a stow away:

PXL_20220626_203113327.jpg

5 Bank target had been bodged back together. The 'C' clips were put on incorrectly so they protruded and stopped the targets from fully raising. Sorted this to only find the 'C' clips on the PCB were missing only 2 were left. So the targets fall out of position!

Thankfully an easy fix. Parts are on order and on the way.

PXL_20220626_194717273.jpg

Began changing out the incandesents. Must had burnt out.

Which side of the camp do you sit on? I know where I sit.

PXL_20220626_212736149.jpg

Resolved issues with the following so far:

• J U D G E targets not operable (targets refusing to reset back to standing position)
  • Roll over switch errors on outlanes
  • Left Action button not working
  • DMD screen showing garbage
  • Half the lights out
  • Playfield looks like its not seen a cloth in 3 years
  • Broken glass on top and inside the playfield
  • Loose ramps and broken post

PXL_20220626_214835940.jpg

PXL_20220626_214842284.jpg

Plan of action is to install the following:

New Crane mod by JD Mods
New Legs and side rails
New Apron Cards
New Coin Door Lock

New Decals and Powder Coat.

The legs were originally gold but someone has spray painted the legs black... Will assess and see what colour I go with here.

Also I need to sort the topper.

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_214853421.jpg
    PXL_20220626_214853421.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220626_214846617.jpg
    PXL_20220626_214846617.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220626_194750013.jpg
    PXL_20220626_194750013.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220626_194745864.jpg
    PXL_20220626_194745864.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220626_193906153.jpg
    PXL_20220626_193906153.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 12
Looks a nice refurb project and I guess you can’t go wrong at £500 😝
If it helps I’ve done a few bits for JD inc the Deadworld mod plastics if you heading that way just shout and good luck.

Col

I had a JD project at start of the year .
I fitted Colywobbles green edge lit Deadworld mod (with latest ROM) - really liked the look. Matched with green flipper rubber and orange rubber , what rubber there is on JD.

View attachment 174377
Question for you. Is the latest rom where they use a virtual lock for 2 of the 3 balls instead of having 3 physical locks in the dead world?

I was under the impression that the original L1 code was the physical lock. I'd be interested in bringing that back. I'm currently on L7.

Scott

Looks a nice refurb project and I guess you can’t go wrong at £500 😝
If it helps I’ve done a few bits for JD inc the Deadworld mod plastics if you heading that way just shout and good luck.

Col
Can you walk me through the deadworld mod plastic vs the stock and why I need it?

Hope you arm is OK btw.

Scott

Can you walk me through the deadworld mod plastic vs the stock and why I need it?

Hope you arm is OK btw.

Scott

Can be a ballache to get working reliably - you must ensure the Deadworld motor, the crane, all optos and switches are working faultlessly or it will drive you nuts 😁

Ah the good old days that I was never present for but am constantly reminded of! ><
I’ve just bought a few projects more than I used to buy and sell MM’s for back in the day i.e.

PZ - £2.5k no DMD, broken head mech but nice condition with little to no fade and super PF. Super excited on this one.

TFTC - 3k again nice condition little/no fade a good one that probs needs a few upgrades inc the usual comets, titans and my bling protection.

NF - 2.5k all working some usual melty ramp scarring probs scrub up ok and get my usual treatment.

Also 2 others on top of the aforementioned but they my guilty secrets for now.
The bonus of all these is they cost less than a new JJP or Stern LE and in my book these 5 pins are better than any LE coming or available ATM.

I’m now out of NIB for the time being so trying to tick off some classics I’ve never owned inc the incoming five that will keep me busy into next year.
Roll on PZ on its way in the next week or so.

I’ve just bought a few projects more than I used to buy and sell MM’s for back in the day i.e.

PZ - £2.5k no DMD, broken head mech but nice condition with little to no fade and super PF. Super excited on this one.

TFTC - 3k again nice condition little/no fade a good one that probs needs a few upgrades inc the usual comets, titans and my bling protection.

NF - 2.5k all working some usual melty ramp scarring probs scrub up ok and get my usual treatment.

Also 2 others on top of the aforementioned but they my guilty secrets for now.
The bonus of all these is they cost less than a new JJP or Stern LE and in my book these 5 pins are better than any LE coming or available ATM.

I’m now out of NIB for the time being so trying to tick off some classics I’ve never owned inc the incoming five that will keep me busy into next year.
Roll on PZ on its way in the next week or so.
I expect a shop log :D

FWIW some people don't like the mod since it interrupts the game flow. Matter of taste I guess.
FWIW some people don’t like the game, modded or otherwise 😉

Lots people enjoy it but I’ve had a couple, and know for sure now I really really do not like it 😂 - this recent one I had to *make* myself play the bloody thing just to test it thoroughly.

Last edited:

Lots people enjoy it but I’ve had a couple, and know for sure now I really really do not like it 😂 - this recent one I had to *make* myself play the bloody thing just to test it thoroughly.
Yh me included I scrapped one for the boards and still have some of the bits as I stumbled across an apron a while back.

One of my fave machines...!!!

Out of interest how you looking to sort the ramps Colin? Or is it just a case of replacement where you can get them?

Only asking because one of the machines i an going to start work on over the winter has very rare (unobtanium) ramps that are like glass and i need to sort as they have damage....

I’ve been told the ramp isn’t too bad and have a few photos but as always difficult to make out. However I spoke to Bob aka Pinballtoys who maintained the pin and he said it would benefit from one but not necessary so unless I absolutely fall in love with the pin I will make do.
I can see someone doing a replacement some point as it’s a common problem apparently.
It won’t be here for quite a while as I’ve loaned it out with a few others until I find room for them.

Yh me included I scrapped one for the boards and still have some of the bits as I stumbled across an apron a while back.

What?! And to think I thought you two had taste!! 🤢

JD is one of the few I've missed once its gone and bough another! Love the game!

But I will admit I have a soft spot for the wider variety! 😉

Last edited:
FWIW some people don't like the mod since it interrupts the game flow. Matter of taste I guess.

That's because it's very buggy and can really screw you over when in tournament play as I've found out a few times over the years..! :mad:

Are you taking the planet and motor out ? It’s a bit of a mission 😃 - I found Ken’s guide Deadworld repair thread elsewhere on here useful .

If it’s all working fine I’d opt for the easy life and leave it .

Last edited:
Are you taking the planet and motor out ? It’s a bit of a mission 😃 - I found Ken’s guide Deadworld repair thread elsewhere on here useful .

If it’s all working fine I’d opt for the easy life and leave it .

Just the plastics it's working. I've got SS next this week. So need to finish JD today.

Today?! Christ, that would take me weeks!!
The longer you have been in this hobby the longer it takes weirdly - I used to happily spend 8 hours straight tinkering …. Now I lose the will to live after an hour or 2 , dropping yet another f*cking screw into the cabinet black hole ,and will happily leave it in pieces for weeks 😂

Last edited:
The longer you have been in this hobby the longer it takes weirdly - I used to happily spend 8 hours straight tinkering …. Now I lose the will to live after an hour of 2 and dropping yet another f*cking screw into the cabinet black hole and leave it in pieces for weeks 😂
I done that twice while fitting Stumblors Sign mod and the hardest part of the fitting was finding the screws 🤪

Back
Top Bottom