What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a rescue 911 a decent first pin.

Richy

Registered
Hi All. Think I did this bit in the wrong area when I joined. Decided to skip on getting a big name Bally Williams for my first machine to see how things go. Only noticed 911 a couple of weeks ago......looks OK and scores 7.8 for gameplay....I am assuming this is pretty decent?? Or am I being sucked in by the helicopter !! And how much roughly do they go for?

Also.......and I know this has probably been asked a 1000 times.........my door is 27 inches, 27.5 at a push, 29 with door off....can I get a pin in.........I know the back box folds or can be removed but not sure of measurements of the cabinet on the deepest part of the wedge. If its all good I can put a wanted add in. Cheers. Still not sure if I have put this question in correct thread ?

hey Richy,
rescue911 is ok, as you say, 7.8 doesn't lie.
where is it coming from, and how much is it?
27 inches might be very tight indeed - best to find someone who has one, to measure theirs up.
Dan

I think 27" is too narrow. However, you can unbolt the head and rotate sideways. It can then fit through.

Hi Dan. There is one for sale on eBay which made me look it up on you tube but I was going to put a wanted up on here......can,t find anything on gameplay though .......tom gets an 8.4 so figured 7.8 wash,t far off but maybe it doesn't,t work like that...ie .6 is a bigger drop down than it looks? Not posting an ad on wanted if the general opinion isn't that good..
Figure I will have to take the kitchen door off and maybe the back box off.........need to double check all that before anything..............gutted if I can,t even get one in !!!!!

Cheers Paul..........The back door is split like a stable door so if I take it off its 29 inch but if the back box can be removed and it goes in would be easier...........would have to get it delivered which ever one I get.....guessing Martin the delivery man may be able to do that?? Would have to check.

Back in the 90s I used to love Gottliebs but even then Rescue 911 was not one which appealed and personally I like it even less now so IMHO would avoid. There's a lot more better pins out there.

Good luck:)

Hello Richy, have you played many machines in the past ? If you name some machines that you have played and an approx budget then advice will flow [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not that good I suppose compared to what you could get for 1000. That's about entry price these days if you want a DMD game.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the figures on IPDB. You need to play games to decide if YOU like it or not. You don't want to be stuck with a £1500 doorstop. There are plenty of highly rated games that I don't like much e.g. Creature, MM. The Fish Tales that's just gone up on here would be THE perfect first pin in my opinion...but play it.

Think about spares and maintenance too. These Gottliebs are far less common in the UK than Bally, Williams and even Data East games.

Noone likes to think about boring stuff like maintenance, but you do not want to buy a problem that few people stock parts for or can fix. Especially as a first game

1,500 gets you into proper WPC era Bally/ Williams titles like Flintstones, The Shadow, Fish Tales, HS2 The Getaway

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too hung up on which game you get as your first - your first won't be your last, so if you don't particularly have your heart set on a particular game then it might be better to go for something more common and popular. I would also say try and buy from here rather than ebay if you can - ebay can be a minefield.

The few games @DRD mentioned above would be great first pins, are regularly available, and will be easy to sell on if you fancy a change after a few months - likely at the same same price you paid. If you pick something a bit more obscure like a Gottlieb, then you might be waiting a long time on here for one to come up and the market for resale will be smaller.

Another option you have is to put up an open wanted ad with a price range you can afford, and you will likely get lots of messages from people on here with pins to sell. If the offers are on PM rather than posted in your wanted ad, I don't think anyone here would be offended if you posted what you had been offered for how much, and asked the community to validate whether the price was fair.

Hi

If it's £1500 I'd leave well alone. It's an OK game, the same way that all pins have some redeeming properties but unless it's well below a grand you're likely to have a very hard time getting your money back. There's far better games out there for the 1000-1200 mark

These Gottliebs are far less common in the UK than Bally, Williams and even Data East games.

The Gotts tend to be more built proof especially if they've had ground mods and stuff like that done to them. There's no problem in getting parts direct from www.pbresource.com who hold the licence for all things Gottlieb and have lots of original and re-pro parts.

That said Rescue 911 is not a £1500 game unless you buy it on ebay.

Hello Richy, have you played many machines in the past ? If you name some machines that you have played and an approx budget then advice will flow [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Jon ....only taf shrek spp and bbh. Problem is I,m a chef so don't get chance for meets etc after a 90s Bally Williams or two preferably but I do like the toys , drop targets, stop posts and stuff . I will take your advice and put it out there what budget I have etc....tops is 3500 (ish!!) ......site member suggested getting two with that which weirdly I hadn't thought of.....but the idea of two side by side is very....very nice!!.........cheers
PS........the tz you sold last month was a beauty............still look at the pics regularly........sad but true !!!!!!!!

Cheers everyone for the advice.......great site this !!
That's saved myself a lot of disappointment and £££ if I hadn't of asked.......general opinion seems to be a fat NO
.....did like the helicopter and pop up ball post thingy though!
Will continue the search for something more mainstream.

Welcome to Pinball Info @Richy

Im local, so you are more than welcome to come try a Pin or two at mine! Get yourself to The Fishermans Rest pub, Broadholme Belper. It has a Getaway HS2 in! also had a Who Dunnit...but thats gone out for repair lol

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom