What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iron Maiden owners / appreciation thread

PAX

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul Woollard
So having owned Maiden for a short while (and what a great pin it is!), thought I'd start a thread for owners and fanboys.

Some questions I have:

Loop shots - despite whacking the ball around the loop, I must get about only 50% of loops being registered which is pretty frustrating as it's a great score builder. Best I've done is 6 on the trot, of which only 2 registered. Is this a common problem on all Maidens?

The Orb / Power Jackpot stand up target seems to be offset well to the left which makes it a bugger to hit. Again are they all like this (pic below), can it be adjusted?
Orb stand up.jpg

Favourite place for a ball to get stuck is on the drop targets, specifically when the centre target is down and the right target is still up - common? I've gone so far as to remove the tilt bob as I'm always having to give it a big old nudge.

I've got some of Cols protectors and flipper toppers which look excellent
Col mods.jpg

Other bits and pieces I'm considering:
Red T Moulding
Powder coating various bits
Apron cards
Invisiglass
Speaker lights
Shaker motor
Eddie shooter rod
Side blades

What have you done / considering for yours (post up some pics!)

Cheers

Regarding the loops, no it isn't normal. Check all switches/optos in that ball path.

The standup target can be adjusted, just push it to the right.

I haven't had a ball get stuck on the drop targets, are they set too low? There should be some adjustment bolts with locknuts to set the height when down.

Reactions: PAX
Your loop shot issue can be solved with one of these. Had the same issue myself and this fixed it 100%

Loop Adjuster

It's s a Pu parts item from Germany but seeing as they don't ship to the UK you'll have to get it through mezel mods in the usa.

Since I propped up the back of my IMDN, I’m lucky if I can hit 2-3 loops in a row as ball travels that fast there just isn’t enough time for the flippers / or me to react 😬

The flow on this game is just immense. The best I've ever played I think.

I'm just getting my head around some of the strategies and best ways to advance through the game.

What are people's best scores? Do you play to try and complete the game or is it about going for a high score?

Your loop shot issue can be solved with one of these. Had the same issue myself and this fixed it 100%

Loop Adjuster

It's s a Pu parts item from Germany but seeing as they don't ship to the UK you'll have to get it through mezel mods in the usa.
@James at pinball bazaar can get stuff from PU Parts, he is their UK guy i think

I'm just getting my head around some of the strategies and best ways to advance through the game.

What are people's best scores? Do you play to try and complete the game or is it about going for a high score?
Personally I didn't find it nearly as flowy as say AIQ. Possibly because I'm a very average player and kept bricking those tight ramps! :D

Getting a high score is very much about the playfield multiplier, and mastering the upper left flipper shots is crucial. Trooper MB with 3x running is a recipe for big points!

Regarding the loops, no it isn't normal. Check all switches/optos in that ball path.

The standup target can be adjusted, just push it to the right.

I haven't had a ball get stuck on the drop targets, are they set too low? There should be some adjustment bolts with locknuts to set the height when down.
Rolling a ball around the loop by hand seems to register every time, seems like when it's done 'at speed' with the flipper is when the problem occurs.
Are there 2 optos on that loop (not had a proper look yet - lazy git!), there is one between 500K and 750K inserts but a bit difficult to see around the top end of the loop

You sure pushing that stand up to the right will be OK? Can imagine snapping something off 😭

Will check the drop targets.

Loop Adjuster

Not sure why that would work but if it does then I'm happy to give it a go. Out of stock but I'll see if @James can source the part

Since I propped up the back of my IMDN, I’m lucky if I can hit 2-3 loops in a row as ball travels that fast there just isn’t enough time for the flippers / or me to react 😬
It does pick up a hell of a lot of speed, timing is everything, but great when you nail it. Haven't adjusted factory setting for power on the upper right flipper, may dial it down a little.

Got to say I rarely get the flow going on this pin but on the rare occasions I do it's awesome. Left ramp through the pops is a real bastard to nail, right ramp not that easy either and the number of times and positions the ball can come from and go down the left outlane - AAAAARGHHHH!!

Playfield multiplier as @Fubar is one way to get big points

Watched a loop strategy vid and big points can be earned from that.

Haven't really worked out a strict strategy yet, just enjoying whacking balls around. Best I've managed so far is collecting 2 Eddies, Level 3 Pharaoh Tomb, 1 Soul Shard, playing but not completing 4 modes (Icarus, Mariner etc.) - pathetic really. Would love to get Two Seconds To Midnight going, that looks a big point ride.

Hell of a lot to achieve with this pin so it's not going anywhere soon, just keep practicing

Best score far - 605M which I did yesterday. Nowhere near the 3.9 billion I saw in a vid (cant find the link)- awesome. Did come across this guy though 😁

Rolling a ball around the loop by hand seems to register every time, seems like when it's done 'at speed' with the flipper is when the problem occurs.
Are there 2 optos on that loop (not had a proper look yet - lazy git!), there is one between 500K and 750K inserts but a bit difficult to see around the top end of the loop
If I remember correctly there are 3 optos at 9/12/3 o'clock. If the ball is going very fast it will fly over the top one which won't register, but the game should compensate for that. Again dialing the flipper power down will help

Not had the loop issue at all, that target can be removed from below, loosen the two screws that hold the cluster together, straighten, tighten and refit 👍

You sure pushing that stand up to the right will be OK? Can imagine snapping something off 😭

Not sure why that would work but if it does then I'm happy to give it a go. Out of stock but I'll see if @James can source the part

It does pick up a hell of a lot of speed, timing is everything, but great when you nail it. Haven't adjusted factory setting for power on the upper right flipper, may dial it down a little.

Got to say I rarely get the flow going on this pin but on the rare occasions I do it's awesome. Left ramp through the pops is a real bastard to nail, right ramp not that easy either and the number of times and positions the ball can come from and go down the left outlane - AAAAARGHHHH!!

Haven't really worked out a strict strategy yet, just enjoying whacking balls around. Best I've managed so far is collecting 2 Eddies, Level 3 Pharaoh Tomb, 1 Soul Shard, playing but not completing 4 modes (Icarus, Mariner etc.) - pathetic really. Would love to get Two Seconds To Midnight going, that looks a big point ride.

Hell of a lot to achieve with this pin so it's not going anywhere soon, just keep practicing

Best score far - 605M which I did yesterday. Nowhere near the 3.9 billion I saw in a vid (cant find the link)- awesome. Did come across this guy though 😁

Nice, I had my best session so far on it last night. Only got mine on Wednesday.

I should probably have said that the flow (when you are playing well) is the best I've played. It can definitely be a brick fest if you aren't making your shots, but my god it's beautiful when you get it singing. Dialling in your shots on those ramps is so key.

Had 2 consecutive games making it to Number of the Beast. It was always making the super jackpot on Mummy that was holding me back, but then I looked up the rules and focussed on that straight away and things started to come together. That is a brilliant multiball, unlike any I've ever played before.

This game is going to improve my play. Multiball is definitely my weakness as a player, I'm just not amazing at keeping multiballs going for a long time, but this game forces you to not only play a multiball, but play them really well if you want to progress.

I made it to 7 tomb awards which felt pretty good, the score wasn't immense, only 1.1B. Trying to work out maximising the use of multipliers and the power jackpot will be great fun, don't really know whats going on there yet. Although I was only 3 tomb awards away from Run to the hills, it still feels a long way away and will be a real challenge on factory settings. Death blows and getting the 6 way combo will also be a great challenge. Fantastic game, a lot to achieve

It can definitely be a brick fest if you aren't making your shots, but my god it's beautiful when you get it singing. Dialling in your shots on those ramps is so key.
This is very true.
You can fire up IMDN… it goes from really cold, starts warming up then goes completely insane, firing on all cylinders.
It’s like you get in the zone.
I remember collecting Soul shards on same game for :
Fear of the dark
HBTN
Started comboing the ramps - just missed out on Flight of Icarus
Aces High - very first time I got the Soul Shard
I had 3 Eddie’s lit then 2 minutes Eddie lit then ball drained
Was buzzing …..

Last edited:
Nice, I had my best session so far on it last night. Only got mine on Wednesday.

I should probably have said that the flow (when you are playing well) is the best I've played. It can definitely be a brick fest if you aren't making your shots, but my god it's beautiful when you get it singing. Dialling in your shots on those ramps is so key.

Had 2 consecutive games making it to Number of the Beast. It was always making the super jackpot on Mummy that was holding me back, but then I looked up the rules and focussed on that straight away and things started to come together. That is a brilliant multiball, unlike any I've ever played before.

This game is going to improve my play. Multiball is definitely my weakness as a player, I'm just not amazing at keeping multiballs going for a long time, but this game forces you to not only play a multiball, but play them really well if you want to progress.

I made it to 7 tomb awards which felt pretty good, the score wasn't immense, only 1.1B. Trying to work out maximising the use of multipliers and the power jackpot will be great fun, don't really know whats going on there yet. Although I was only 3 tomb awards away from Run to the hills, it still feels a long way away and will be a real challenge on factory settings. Death blows and getting the 6 way combo will also be a great challenge. Fantastic game, a lot to achieve

Wednesday?
1.1B?
7 Pharaoh awards?
Number of the Beast twice?

😭😭🤣🤣

Nice work.
I'm not trying hard enough/good enough

IMDN is next on my want list! I played it at Electric Circus a few times and it didn’t really make an impression on me but the last time I went I just clicked with it. Shots feel good when you get going, I find it clear what to shoot for most the time and it’s more friendly than JP imo

Wednesday?
1.1B?
7 Pharaoh awards?
Number of the Beast twice?

😭😭🤣🤣

Nice work.
I'm not trying hard enough/good enough
Jeez, had mine since release 2018, not broke billy yet and no Beast .. lol
It’s one of those pins you just fire up and get your Grand Champ score when not played for a while.
Looking forward to some friends coming down in April.
None of them have ever played pinball but one of them is a huge Maiden fan.
He’s in for a treat 😃

4 billion, although never got all 10 tomb treasures for RttH.
NotB is a good mini wizard mode.

Play Icarus in single ball play with playfoeld multipliers for massive scores.
Fear played in MB.
Hallowed played in either.

Need to focus in completing these modes for Soul Shards.

Other modes (Aces & Rhyme) I don't concentrate on, and pick up their SSs with the 'bonus shards' tomb treasure 8(?) & 6 way combo (can't remember the other ways)

Getting the double Eddie's is needed for RttH

Lol that was when i left the stream running for 5 hours after playing for an hour!

I don’t think I ever have had a good game of IMDN on stream. I need to concentrate fully on the ramp shots which is what the game is really all about and they are very difficult shots.

Lol that was when i left the stream running for 5 hours after playing for an hour!

I don’t think I ever have had a good game of IMDN on stream. I need to concentrate fully on the ramp shots which is what the game is really all about and they are very difficult shots.

I didn't watch it all 😅

Owned it for a week today.

Just finished a good one, heart is pumping.

Fantastic game, it really is, you really have to play so well in order to earn your stripes. I had the level 2 Eddie cards flashing for Trooper and for the second super on 2 minutes to midnight. Only made it to level 4 cyborg and had 2 goes at it, but couldn't get to level 5 for the level 2 card. Only had 2 letters in mummy towards the second super on mummy multi, so nowhere near really on that one. Didn't defeat the beast, played terribly against him, made me nervous. Had 8 tomb treasures. Managed the 6 way combo for the first time.

So pretty close to Hills, but still a long way to go really, Mummy is my nemesis at the moment.

Loving every minute of it though

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_204113.jpg
    IMG_20220323_204113.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 19

Fantastic game, it really is, you really have to play so well in order to earn your stripes. I had the level 2 Eddie cards flashing for Trooper and for the second super on 2 minutes to midnight. Only made it to level 4 cyborg and had 2 goes at it, but couldn't get to level 5 for the level 2 card. Only had 2 letters in mummy towards the second super on mummy multi, so nowhere near really on that one. Didn't defeat the beast, played terribly against him, made me nervous. Had 8 tomb treasures. Managed the 6 way combo for the first time.

So pretty close to Hills, but still a long way to go really, Mummy is my nemesis at the moment.

Impressive stuff.
I'm miles behind anything that good

Not really that far away, as the 9th Tomb Treasure is a Level 2 Eddie (which would have given you 3) and getting all 4 Level 2 Eddies lights the next Tomb Treasure which would have been your 10th and RttH ready.

The Mummy Lv2 was always the one that screwed me over as well :confused:

Back
Top Bottom