What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing 6264 NVRAM In A System 11 Pinball – Earthshaker

J

James

Soldering 6264 RAM into System 11 Pinball
I have previously discussed the benefits on installing NVRAM instead of having batteries on your pinball machine board. So installing NVRAM on my Earthshaker project simply had to be done. The U.K. supplier that I use and trust supplies the 6264 variant of the NVRAM chip. This is due to the fact it is both compatible with the WPC system

Installing 6264 NVRAM In A System 11 Pinball – Earthshaker

Continue reading...

Good article, but do you mean U25 here "The 6264 NVRAM needs to be installed in U23 on the board "

Yes... Yes I did.. LOL

There is a 6116 RAM on U23 also, which is where you have to do the jumper. Thanks for the spot @astyy - got my back again :p

Including taking the board out and putting it back in, setting up station, - so start to finish.... I would set aside 30 - 40 minutes.

I go slow to and double check the solder work, take the time when pulling the old RAM out etc. You could probably bash it out in 25 minutes, but I don't see the point.

Problem is @Big Phil - I am too much of a softie and end up doing stuff for people for free... plus by day two I wouldn't trust myself to have any sort of steady hand to handle such a task :p

Do you have a link to the ram? and is it better than the Ramtron you can buy for 7 wuid?

Cheers Ronnie

I do hope you're not using that rusty nail in the pic to solder your boards?

No nylon stockings to be worn! That's me out then!

FM1608-120-PG Integrated Circuit protected by foam or/and plastic container and Mail Lite bubble envelope.

Please discharge your hands before handling IC.
Avoid wearing wool jumpers or nylon stockings.

Please search google using IC number + "datasheet" + "pdf" for detailed description provided by manufacturers.

@ronnie63 - I haven't ever used the Ramtron, at £7 be happy to give it a go though, is there a UK supplier? The one I have been using is this guy from the UK. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinball-Battery-Eliminator-NVRAM-Module/303185464069?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@Arv - that's just the iron, you can (and I had for this job funnily enough) changed the tip. My grandad gave me that soldering iron years ago - still works just fine, you know the old saying about a bad workman and his tools :p

I have one fitted to a sega xfiles it works well available on Ebay

@ronnie63 - I haven't ever used the Ramtron, at £7 be happy to give it a go though, is there a UK supplier? The one I have been using is this guy from the UK. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinball-Battery-Eliminator-NVRAM-Module/303185464069?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@Arv - that's just the iron, you can (and I had for this job funnily enough) changed the tip. My grandad gave me that soldering iron years ago - still works just fine, you know the old saying about a bad workman and his tools :p

You will end up ruining boards using that old iron, i put up with one of those for years and upgraded to a solder desolder station - best thing you can have for board work.

You will end up ruining boards using that old iron, i put up with one of those for years and upgraded to a solder desolder station - best thing you can have for board work.

Ahh yes - +1 on desoldering - I use this as to not over heat the pad - takes the solder clean out once you get the feel for it.

3E4ECA4B-6586-4C1B-9A0A-7FA23DF7BB15.jpeg

I never seem to spend too long with the iron resoldering - So never noticed trace problems putting it back on.

Its the heat with the old irons you can't control its nice to select a temp and work with that, i am just sharing my experience in the past ;)

Its the heat with the old irons you can't control its nice to select a temp and work with that, i am just sharing my experience in the past ;)

That's a fair point, I think you can get an iron for this unit - it is something I looked into - but then it's the faff of swapping over etc.

More money into this hobby on tools now, because that will sit and worry me.

I reckon if @James sold the nvram and added a fee for his services he could make a few quid there...

Could do with a way to test them though...

Yeah that's my issue @MartinY - I can do WPC games and System 11 games no issue though.

I know Pinfest would be nice and easy - but to be honest, it's a hobby and for me I will be spending it with people I enjoy spending time with and will be generally getting a little pi55ed. If anyone wants to send to me, I can do NVRAM installation, test and return (tracked next day via UPS) for:

NVRAM - £15
Installation - £12.50 - that's £25 an hour realistically
Return Postage - £5

Total: £32.50 (plus your postage) - so that's probably the fat end of £40

If there was enough of an interest the bulk cost of the NVRAM may come down to £12 - but I am surmising...

My experience with NVRAM is:

Pro's:

- No worry about changing batteries - ever (well in our lifetimes)
- No worry about leakage - ever
- High scores won't be reset on battery change (make sure you adjust game though to not reset after X plays or that defeats the point), you can overcome this by swapping when switched on. It didn't appeal to me.

Negatives:

- Payback cycle at £35 is 7 battery changes - are you going to change the battery 7 times?
- Midnight madness on games with that feature won't happen at midnight - as the game clock only moves on when game is on, some see that as a benefit, some don't.

Considerations:

- In this hobby, what do you really get for £35?

You don’t get anything for £35 in this hobby entirely up to you mate but personally I wouldn’t bother for £35 you will always get someone who claims since you did this this doesn’t work also if you do pull a track or damage a pad people ain’t going to be happy with jumpers on them and try find a system 11c cpu board

There are two spare quiet rooms to work in. If someone is willing to do the work, it’s not a problem.

You don’t get anything for £35 in this hobby entirely up to you mate but personally I wouldn’t bother for £35 you will always get someone who claims since you did this this doesn’t work also if you do pull a track or damage a pad people ain’t going to be happy with jumpers on them and try find a system 11c cpu board
True, that. Lots of people are realistic but it only takes one or two to make missing the event by sitting there doing boards not worth it at all.

They could be done during Friday setup? Guess it depends how many want it done.
It's more that I'm worried about someone being a bit crazy unrealistic and then I'm out the cost of a board if I want to avoid being dragged to small claims court. That's not likely to happen but right now I can't afford that risk...

Back
Top Bottom