What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indiana Jones, I always knew some day you'd come walking back into my kitchen

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
Jean Luc Picard decided he'd had enough of my hospitality and after another pinball roadtrip yesterday Indiana Jones (wms) is in the kitchen :rockon: Big thanks to Wayne for the deal, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family. There's already a load of pics of this machine up on the forum but I'll chuck a couple up later of it in it's new home :)

Hi Chris. Good to meet you mate and thanks also.
Let me know if you ever ''collect everything''on Indy without having to take the glass off.
Really loving STTNG at the moment.
Have to do a sweepstake on how long it'll be with me lol

Sent from my totally useless
iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris, I accuse you of moving pinballs in and out like TV Will Barber. Glad to see this IJ has stayed in the group, after you have done your magic can you give it to me as a wedding present? ;)

Wayne, I give it 3 months. :boink:

I'm going to pop down to Maplins shortly as I fancy having a go at making the spinning prop mod for the bi-plane on IJ. Has anyone ever done this mod and if so got any tips? I can see there used to be a kit available from certain places in the US (but doesn't seem to be available anymore) and have been looking on Ed Cheung's site at his homemade one which I was going to follow. The only thing I'm not sure I can get from Maplins is a small enough DC motor but if I manage to get all the parts I'll start a thread on my attempt at making the mod :)

Got a pack of different propellers from Maplins. They'll need a bit of cutting down to the right size but should work well. I also bought their smallest dc motor but it only fits further back in the body of the bi-plane so I'd need to extend the motor shaft with something to be able to use it. I'm also not sure how to go about mounting the motor in the plane. Ed Cheung uses copper wire but I'd have to buy a whole spool so need to come up with something else. Time for a cup of tea and a bit of a think :)

Got a pack of different propellers from Maplins. They'll need a bit of cutting down to the right size but should work well. I also bought their smallest dc motor but it only fits further back in the body of the bi-plane so I'd need to extend the motor shaft with something to be able to use it. I'm also not sure how to go about mounting the motor in the plane. Ed Cheung uses copper wire but I'd have to buy a whole spool so need to come up with something else. Time for a cup of tea and a bit of a think :)

If you go in any good model shop you can get lengths of brass, aluminium, plastic rod and pipe of diff diameters about a foot long might be worth a try? they might even have the right size propeller

I think I've just about solved it :smokin: The dc motor from Maplins was too big so I had a rethink then went and raided my computer graveyard in the cupboard upstairs and came up with this.....

P1030629.jpgP1030631.jpgP1030633.jpg

It looks like the propellers I got from Maplins won't be any good either so a trip to the model shop tomorrow is in order but I have managed to get the rest of it sorted so it's just a case of sticking the new prop on....

P1030637.jpgP1030638.jpg

I respect your modding my man. Good work on the recycling of old parts too. :thumb:

If you can get the prop to spin fast enough, it'll at least be good to dissipate some of the heat in there ;)

If you can get the prop to spin fast enough, it'll at least be good to dissipate some of the heat in there ;)

I like yor thinking there Paul.
Looking forward to the finished prop mod.
D.

Got a prop today that I think should be ok (had to buy a whole bloody model plane though) but I'm not sure what resistors to put in series with the motor...anyone got any ideas or should I just bung a few in and see what happens?

What is the source voltage and what amps and voltage does the motor need? As you know, ohms is your friend.
Will the prop be spinning in certain modes or all the time?

I'm not sure of the amps and voltage for the motor although it works off a 1.5V battery so will take an educated guess it runs in the 1.5V to 3V range...will check the label on it tomorrow to see if that gives me any clues. I was thinking of running it off the Dogfight flasher which I'm guessing is 24V or the right ramp arrow like Ed Cheung which I think is 6.3V....I guess it depends how often I want it to be spinning. Ed Cheung uses a 10 Ohm resistor in his mod but it doesn't give any specs for the motor he used. I think I'll save the maths until tomorrow :D

For those that don't know the great man Ohm's work, here are some maths:
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

Or for this purpose
R=((V1-V2)/Current)

V2=Motor volts requirements
V1=Voltage from supply
Current=Amps used by the motor

Based on some research but those motors used a lot more power and amps than I thought they would but they were bigger than the one Ed used. Good luck.

Loving the double prop mod Stan, what did you wire them too and did they both spin at the same time? I'm also liking the look of the orange flipper rubbers, might have to get some of those ;)

Both wired to the the dog fight flasher, had to cut up a repro messerschmitt to do it, although because of airballs off of the ramp I removed the bi-plane prop.also use a blue (FL-11629)flipper coil on the left side.

Prop mod is done ;)

P1030646.jpg P1030647.jpg

After a bit of trial and error with different resistors I finally got it to spin at a speed that did rip the prop off.

Awesome job there fella. What model (and scale) did you buy for the prop? Looks like a perfect fit. Any chance of a quick vid to see how it spins?

The model is a 1/48th scale Messerschmitt bf 110, it's a twin prop plane so I've got a spare in case this one ever gets damaged by an air ball. I'm really pleased how it's worked out as it looks almost factory :whoo: It's got a kind of stuttering spin because of the flasher I guess but it's not too fast so I quite like the effect.

There was a little parcel from Mr Dreads waiting for me when I got home from work today.....a set of inner cab decals to finish off IJ :biggrin1: After that there's only really one more thing I might do, replace the front cab decal. I don't want to buy a full decal set and I know this is a massive long shot but if anyone has just the front cab decal that they'd be prepared to sell then give me a shout.

Back
Top Bottom