What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IFPA17 - UK participants

Jackpot

Registered
Alias
Yuen
I believe I heard on the TPF stream that we (the UK) were giving back their 2nd spot at the upcoming world championships as no one except Andy Foster could make it. Could anyone clarify?

I understand that the invites to the top 2 ranked players this time were based on the 2020 start of year rankings and fully understand that the top players may not be able to make it as it is quite a commitment to travel in terms of cost and time. But doesn't the place then go down the UK rankings until someone can accept the second spot and represent? Or is there a limit on the number of rankings spots it can go down to? (e.g. not past top 10)

It seems a shame to me to give the place back... If none of our top players can attend at least let Ben Leigh go 😉

Anyway - it would be good to better understand the process from someone more informed if anyone could kindly advise.

As Matt said, Martin is the UK IFPA rep so can give exact details, but basically:

Each qualifying country (which has enough comps per year) has 2 guaranteed spots which go to the top 2 ranked players at the end of the preceding year.
If one or both of them can't make it, it gets offered down the list until it's filled for that country.
After the country spots are taken, invites are sent out to the highest IFPA ranked players worldwide until all 64 spots are filled.

So the delayed IFPA 17 comp is based on ranking at the end of 2019. Andy has confirmed his spot already.

The players highest ranked at the end of the year were:
  1. Craig Pullen
  2. Andrew Foster
  3. Rich Mallett
  4. Peter Blakemore
  5. Matt Vince
  6. David Mainwaring
  7. Nick Marshall
  8. Greg Mott
  9. Stan Simpson
  10. Wayne Johns
  11. Tim Thornton
  12. Vin Jauhal
  13. Kirk Sadler
  14. Sam McCourt
  15. Neil McRae
It appears that nobody else can make it (unless someone wants to sponsor me and cover the cost of flight and hotel - in which case they can take all of my prize money :D)

As Matt said, Martin is the UK IFPA rep so can give exact details, but basically:

Each qualifying country (which has enough comps per year) has 2 guaranteed spots which go to the top 2 ranked players at the end of the preceding year.
If one or both of them can't make it, it gets offered down the list until it's filled for that country.
After the country spots are taken, invites are sent out to the highest IFPA ranked players worldwide until all 64 spots are filled.

So the delayed IFPA 17 comp is based on ranking at the end of 2019. Andy has confirmed his spot already.

The players highest ranked at the end of the year were:
  1. Craig Pullen
  2. Andrew Foster
  3. Rich Mallett
  4. Peter Blakemore
  5. Matt Vince
  6. David Mainwaring
  7. Nick Marshall
  8. Greg Mott
  9. Stan Simpson
  10. Wayne Johns
  11. Tim Thornton
  12. Vin Jauhal
  13. Kirk Sadler
  14. Sam McCourt
  15. Neil McRae
It appears that nobody else can make it (unless someone wants to sponsor me and cover the cost of flight and hotel - in which case they can take all of my prize money :D)

Hmm sponsor.... maybe, maybe... I've never seen this Wayne Johns guy come anything less than 1st at Nuneaton Classics League... surely the standard at this IFPA whatever is about a similar standard.

I could go but frankly I'm not good enough. This is the world championships and I think its right that if we don't have a good enough player that can go (irrespective of the reason) then we should give the place back.

Neil.

Hmm sponsor.... maybe, maybe... I've never seen this Wayne Johns guy come anything less than 1st at Nuneaton Classics League... surely the standard at this IFPA whatever is about a similar standard.
I doubt they'll have BK2K in the finals.

Although I would say my results in US comps are better than in the UK.
Won 1, Joint 2nd, and 26th (2 off qualifying for finals)

Even if I finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th prize money wouldn't cover costs.

Really gutted that Craig can't make it. I remember following the battle for the top two spots and it was real neck and neck stuff. It seemed there was a real passion to make it to the ifpa finals. But then delays after delays due to Covid might have added to the difficulties

Is it mainly a financial thing that is putting people off? I'm not proposing that could be fixed here and now, but it might be worth considering going forward. A small % scooped out of any UK tournament prize pool could be ringfenced as a contribution towards the costs for example.

Yes Sam! Fantastic news mate, really pleased you will get to experience the most intense 3 days that pinball competition has on offer.

Thanks Paul, yeah I'm gutted I can't make it too. I was signed up and flights were booked up for the original dates, thanks to the efforts of Neil and others. However the new dates are in the middle of term time so it was never going to happen for me unfortunately.

Fingers crossed for Germany and the insane experience that Tobi is planning for next year, back to back EPC/IFPA, that should draw a crowd, 2 majors in 2 weeks! Just hope I can get to enough tournaments to be in contention to qualify.

Anyway, that's fantastic news Sam. Will be a pleasure to watch yours and Andy's progress against the best in the world

For those interested

Quite the list! A shame that Johannes won't have the chance to repeat, but just getting through qualifying with that field is about as tough as it gets! I think it's probably one of the last chances the old guard have of being a world champion before the youth take over next year

Yes Sam! Fantastic news mate, really pleased you will get to experience the most intense 3 days that pinball competition has on offer.

Thanks Paul, yeah I'm gutted I can't make it too. I was signed up and flights were booked up for the original dates, thanks to the efforts of Neil and others. However the new dates are in the middle of term time so it was never going to happen for me unfortunately.

Fingers crossed for Germany and the insane experience that Tobi is planning for next year, back to back EPC/IFPA, that should draw a crowd, 2 majors in 2 weeks! Just hope I can get to enough tournaments to be in contention to qualify.

Anyway, that's fantastic news Sam. Will be a pleasure to watch yours and Andy's progress against the best in the world
Thanks Craig, nice one.
It’ll certainly be an experience and I couldn’t resist the opportunity!

Well pleased that Sam Chief is going to Miami ! I was offered the spot , but declined because i felt Craig had better chances and financial commitment and Covid hurdles to travel that i didn't fancy jumping to be honest .... I'm truly gutted that Craig couldn't make it this time , I feel that Craig and Andy are the best players at the moment in the UK , with Nick Marshall a close third and Craig had a great chance to go deep into this tournament . It is the most gruelling ,toughest and most testing tournament on the planet , no doubt and probably my greatest achievements in pinball that I managed to qualify in Canada and Italy and go on to win one KO match in Italy vs. the late, great Dutch Pinball Master Albert Nomden ( RiP beloved friend ) , good luck and best wishes to both Andy "PUP" Foster and Sam " Chief " McCourt , I will be rooting for you both to do well and following any streams from the IFPA worlds .:clap:😍👍👊

hope they remember their masks! - mandatory masks during all of IFPA 17.

Neil.

hope they remember their masks! - mandatory masks during all of IFPA 17.

Neil.
already packed them! Their rules and fauir enough im just so thankful for it to be actually happening but masks :rolleyes: its like so 2020/21! cant believe we cant even lower them to take a sip of water during the tourney though, especially when masks are not mandated during the pre tournaments so most of us will be breathing each others air in the run up to it anyhow. Anyway here goes, I go over on Thursday this week nice and early to settle in..massivley excited!!

Sounds like they'd rather you died from dehydration!
🤣 Im assuming they will make some kind of exception on the 2 mins to plunge the ball rule if you have gone outside to take a drink given that Josh himself in his own words likes to drink about 70 gallons of water during a tourney. It seems crazy to me but I guess its their tourney so its their rules 🙄

Yeah had forgotten Josh runs it and always takes a drink while.playing mid ball! Sure they'll be a bit more sensible about it.

the issue they don't want to deal with is anyone not having their mask on properly which I kinda get. You want a drink - go outside. but whilst in the venue there is no choice. Some of the locals will be spitting tacks on this (I know a few of them) and they aren't very pro-mask...

Neil.

Any links to the comps?

I think this is the page with all the details: https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa17/
Streaming is going to be on twitch.tv/pinballasylum

Schedule (adjusted from UTC-5 to GMT times):

Thursday
11pm-12:30am –> Practice Session
1am-3am –> The Epstein Cup

Friday
2pm – 2:30pm –> check in for players
2:30pm – 3pm –> Announcements/group picture/getting things started
3pm – 5pm –> Session #1
5pm – 7pm –> Session #2
7pm – 8pm –> Lunch
8pm – 10pm –> Session #3 (this will start 1 hour after the last group finishes Session #2)
10pm – midnight –> Session #4
midnight – 1am –> Dinner
1am – 3am –> Session #5 (this will start 1 hour after the last group finishes Session #4)
3am – 5am –> Session #6

Saturday
2:30pm – 3pm –> check in for players
3pm – 5pm –> Session #7
5pm – 7pm –> Session #8
7pm – 8pm –> Tiebreaker Round (if needed)
8pm – 9pm –> Lunch
9pm – 11pm –> First Round (seeds 17 through 32 play)
11pm – 1am –> Second Round (Seeds 9-16 play the winners of the first round)
1am – 2am –> Dinner
2am – 4am –> Third Round (Seeds 1-8 play the winners of the second round)

Sunday
1:30pm – 2pm –> check in for players
2pm – 4pm –> Elite 8
4pm – 6pm –> Final 4 and 5th through 8th match
6pm – 8pm –> Championship, Consolation final
8pm – 8:30pm –> Awards and wrap up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom