What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to play TRON

You can if you go down to Bournemouth Pier
biggrin-1.png

As has been previously mentioned, I was happily playing Iron Man and Batman TDK at Bournemouth Pier on Friday afternoon, when the attendants wheeled in a large cardboard box and dumped it near a suspiciously empty space where the Spiderman had once sat next to Iron Man.

It was a brand new Stern Tron! I had a few very distracted games on Batman while they unpacked and set up the Tron next to Iron Man. They were having a few problems setting it up, so I popped out of the arcade and went and got a bite to eat. When I got back, the Tron was sitting there pristine and begging to be played, which of course I did...

The usual price of £1 a game, or 3 for £2 with 3 balls per game. It played really well, as it should for a brand new machine. A low base replay level of 20 million, I imagine that will soon get raised up, as even I could regularly beat it. I didn't get that many goes on the one at the Pinball Party, so it was great to find out how good Tron really played. No excuse for all you southerners to miss out on playing Tron now!

A couple of blurry camera-phone snaps attached:

[attachment=203:300920111003.jpg]

Right place - right time!!! Must love that NIB feeling, especially when you're not footing the bill!! Sweet!
biggrin-1.png

Shame there isnt a place like that up north.
sad-1.png
Plenty of arcades, but no bloody pinball.... Cheers for the pics, i am green with envy:D

I did that with TZ, was playing DE Batman when they unpacked the carton. Got the very first game on it!

You should have blagged the empty box from them. Then if you ever get to own a Tron................................................
wink-1.png

So i was over someones yesterday dechroming his Tron LE :eek: Yes, well. I did agree afterwards that it looks better with the black siderails & bar. Anyways, got to finally put a proper game on TRON after a few attempts to play more than one ball on the pro's I have encountered. I have to say, I'm sold. The LE is fabulous and those light tubes are nothing short of amazing. Moving recogniser is a bit Meh though. Overall Stern really came through on this one!

Have to totally agree on Tron in general. It was always going to be a no brainer for me as I've always been a Tron fan but obviously Stern could easily have really dropped a bollock on the pin, and IMO they haven't. Have to admit, I'm very glad I didn't bother with the LE though. Well, actually, I had no choice, I'm not that well off, end of. But I though the idea of all the chrome was plain and simple wrong, I had a suspicion that the moving recogniser may have been a little meh!, and although I've not seen them in the flesh, the light tubes, to me, look a bit 'gopping'. I would have preferred them to be a bit more subtle.

What I would like from the LE is the drop targets for 'TRON' and I imagine I'd like the extra modes, but having not seen it (them?) yet, I don't know.

My only complaint on the actual gameplay is that there isn't a lot of variation in the modes. They're mostly all a bit of a case of 'hit stuff this many times to trigger', then hit this many times to collect. But maybe that's the case for most pins? I don't know, I've only got three
smile-1.png
On the machine - my only complaint is the build quality. It's very obvious they're screwing down every cost cutting measure possible. Now, that's fine in the current climate, apart from the artwork. It's quality is awful. It's like they've blown up 72dpi images or something. Looks stunning from a distance, but don't look too close. I think it's fair to say that Tron isn't the only machine that suffers with this in recent times though.

I had friends round last night. Now, admittedly friends that have never played pinball before and they couldn't believe it when I started to explain some of the things they were meant to be doing. Was a bit of a case of 'wow, I assumed it was a case of just whack it about and score, I didn't know there was so much to it'. Think they'll be round for more very soon. I thought my mates wife would be a bit indifferent, but she was the one that kept starting the next game all the time, couldn't keep her off it. They even progressed to my DE Star Wars by the end of the night
biggrin-1.png

So, all in all, very, very, pleased.

You think Trons artwork is bad, you should see the art on TSPP. I know they meant for it to look pixelated so there was some depth to the artwork but jesus, dont get within 6 feet!

image26-1.jpg

yeah, going to get a tron myself. Wasnt going to bother due to quality concerns, but the game is my type of play. Fast and flowy with great sound. It helps being a big Daft Punk fan too....

Rus121' date=' post: 1679005 said:
Shame there isnt a place like that up north.
sad-1.png
Plenty of arcades, but no bloody pinball.... Cheers for the pics, i am green with envy:D

are you anywhere near blackpool? just got back from a short break, there is a tron in a local pub about 10 mins walk from the front, pub is called the victory on chaunce street, massive victorian pub with no punters spent around 2 hours on it for 3 days, only me in the room and a couple of lads on the pool table,

Back
Top Bottom